Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been annoying me for a good while now and yesterday I took it to my local garage to book it in and hopefully get it sorted.

Basically in all the bad weather we had, I aqua-planed around a roundabout and hit my near side wheel on a kerb. The impact was no faster than 10mph.

On the drivers side, the wheel sits flush and straight

On the passengers, the wheel gives the illusion it sticks out an extra inch, as it's got quite a bit of positive camber (the wheel is not buckled - we had it on a balancing machine)

The bloke in the garage stuck it on the ramp and thinks I might of bent the shock. I'm running FK Coilovers. I never thought of this but would that be a reason for the wheel to be sitting like that? He said until I bought new shocks and took them to him he wouldn't be able to do anything. Also, we tried winding my coilovers down on the front about 3 weeks after I knocked the kerb, and that side is almost as though it has slipped a thread and would not budge at all, completely seized.

If anyone can help at all that would be great as it's reeeeally cheesing me off and different garages seem to be saying different things!

Cheers

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
If you do actually have positive camber it could well be a bent shock, but i have seen the hubs themselves bend. You can't adjust a MK IV enough for positive camber, so something's damaged there.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote user="Moose-LT"]

If you do actually have positive camber it could well be a bent shock, but i have seen the hubs themselves bend. You can't adjust a MK IV enough for positive camber, so something's damaged there.

[/quote]

Cheers mate, yeah there's definitely something wrong.

I'm going to replace the coilovers in a month or two, so hopefully that will sort it. It's just annoying me that no garage can give me a straight answer!

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
You call that positive camber!? Now THIS is positive camber!

I did something very similar to you. Bent the control arm up pretty bad;

replaced that, still not right (picture above was after the LCA was replaced) so i asked my garage, and they said suspected coilover bent. I disagreed, after taking it out and putting a ruler on it. ended up replacing the knuckle, wheel bearing, hub, and ball-joint all in one go, and that fixed it. Can't tell you exactly what fixed it, but i just brought a second hand knuckle off ebay, and fitted brand new bits to it, and swapped the lot over.

then it looked like this:

know the feel bro. Be thankful MK4 golfs are like meccano for grown ups! very easy to take apart and put back together. Mine was worse than that, and the subframe was fine, so yours should be too. Good luck

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah you'll know the feeling just as well as me then, I just want to get it sorted because its so annoying!

Cheers mate, might have a crack at what you did and hope for the best

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm sure iv got this problem on te front of mine! Put new (bigger) wheels on a few weeks ago and ever since the front camber just looks odd! I'm putting coil overs on soon so hopefully that will fix it! If not looks like its s pair of hubs :(

Thing is though it drives straight as a die, no knocks or bangs..... Very strange! Did anyone have any issues with driving characteristics?

Paul...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.