Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the PC is conveiniant....but is it cheating?

or is it just indicative of todays world in as much as we want things to be easy?

is a car that has been done by hand, a better show of detailing than one done by a PC?

or indeed, are the people that do things by hand simply behind the times and missing out on a revolution....?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Using isn't really cheating IMO but it just isn't enjoyable unless you are working on a really buggered up car.

On a car that is in good condition.....a show car, a PC just isn't needed. I enjoy detailing by hand, I don't with the PC.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have to agree with Carlos.

A PC is only really required if your paint has been neglected & has become oxidised/swirled/marked.

The paint on mine has only ever been touched by my hands & is in top condition, but for some reason I still want to get a PC to add to my collection of tools.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have to agree with Carlos.

A PC is only really required if your paint has been neglected & has become oxidised/swirled/marked.

The paint on mine has only ever been touched by my hands & is in top condition, but for some reason I still want to get a PC to add to my collection of tools.
Addiction? [:p]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see.....that my thoughts.......my paint is in tip top condition......but i still fancy the pc......but i think for me, it could be pointless.......

and i know i wouldnt enjoy it as much......

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Addiction? [:p]
**Nods head** [:$]

I think so, I had a tidy up on sunday, & OMG ! I didnt realise the exstent of my products until I had then all together, I knew I had a lot, but not that much..... [:cool:]

I just can't help but buy things to try, already this year I've bought

2 clear plastic buckets - so I can see how dirty the water is [:S]

2 megs chenille sponges - I have loads of sponges already & a megs wash mit

1 P21S drying towel - Bought it today off the interweb, I dont even need a new leather, I've got about 4 AG ones already

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
ALREADY THIS YEAR?.......its only the 11th!!!

just think, if you had the pc............
I really dont need comments like that...............

My goal is not to spend too much cash this year.....................................well...................try at least.....

Saying that, I did promise myself one when the car hits 100,000 miles [8-|]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know the pc has its definite place in detailing, as in if you have proper f'd up paint.......but surely, after one use, if done correctly, its rendered useless?...as in the remedial side of the product, and indeed arguably the whole point of the pc....has passed....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No its not rendered useless. It doesn't really save anytime either  if you take your time, it just provides farrr better results.IMO it is essential no matter what condition your paint is in.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
essential?......or just easier to acheive good results with?

cos for my paint, i know that there are some micro scratches in the paint that become visible under "car park" type lighting......so i'd probaly see a good result, and a worthwhile one on the first use......but surely after that first application......i may as well use my hands and get better satisfaction?

or is the PC satifying and fun to use?....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The truth is everyone's car has tiny scratches on the bodywork, and if you can't see them (easily) it's just because the car is caked in wax. A machine polisher is handy and has its benefits, I don't have one at the moment, I'm quite happy to apply by hand, it's like therapy or exercise (even if sometimes I ache all over the next morning but I'm just unfit...). Machine is good for covering large areas quickly and evenly, hand application is good for really, really fine work and precise control. Use what suits you and gives results you're happy with [Y]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a very diplomatic answer..........

its not about the car being caked in wax, for from it, its just that the "scratches" are so small, you need to catch them in the right light......but is that worth shelling out on a pc for?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

cos for my paint, i know that there are some micro scratches in the paint that become visible under "car park" type lighting......so i'd probaly see a good result, and a worthwhile one on the first use......but surely after that first application......i may as well use my hands and get better satisfaction?

The pc is just as satisfying to use IMO.

I reckon anyone who polishe's by hand could use a PC and notice a big difference using the same products. Everyone rabbits on about how much it costs but its pretty cheap considering you'll have it long after your golf is dead [:D]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts

cos for my paint, i know that there are some micro scratches in the
paint that become visible under "car park" type lighting......so i'd
probaly see a good result, and a worthwhile one on the first
use......but surely after that first application......i may as well use
my hands and get better satisfaction?

Depends how 'anal' you are really..

If u want a paint finish that is smooth and 10000% free of any marks,
swirls, lines, THEN u really must use a mechanical polisher (such as a
Portal Cable). You'll 99% never achieve the same sort of
finish by hand, and it certainly won't be achievable for long term
durability because waxes are just hiding the marks..

Mechanical polishing 'exfoliates' to a certain extent, making the paint smooth and swirl free.

Whether using the machine is satisfying or not - this depends on the individual.

When I use one I find the finished product immensely satisfying, the car looks so shiney u just don't wanna drive it anywhere!

But the actual process of applying compounds and waxes by machine is
extremely labourious (and tiring as the machines can be quite heavy and
shakey to use over a few hours).

I'll be mopping my car again when the weathers warmer, getting it ready
for the beginning of the show season. But until then it's gonna
be weekly wash and dry!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get it professionally valeted once and just keep applying the waxes so no more tiny scratches happen again.
thats the problem......waxing it is what gives the mirco scratches......and i mean MICRO......

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Get it professionally valeted once and just keep applying the waxes so no more tiny scratches happen again.
thats the problem......waxing it is what gives the mirco scratches......and i mean MICRO......
I would disagree with you there essex. Take jace's car for example. He waxes weekly during the summer, I think, and the finish on j's car is better than showroom imo, as if it was freshly painted yesterday.

@ JBS last april

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 27 Posts