Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the leap ive thinking about for ages today and ordered the PC from Autopia. Also chipped in with with some quality products.

Took advantage of discount offered via promotion on this site very good saving.

I just hope the wife's not in when parcel arrives to question me about how much it all cost[:$]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Just got to work out the best polishes now! i had a brief half hour or so scan of the detailing section and just ended up going round and round in circles !

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The PC is a brilliant bit of kit I've got one and it's fab.

With regard to polish etc everyone is going to have thier own opinion obviously! What I will say is this pretty much any polish is going to give a good finish and what you choose will depend on the depth of your pockets.

I've tried a couple of swirl removers so far and they have been pants but I have just got my self some poorboys SSr1, 2.5 etc and from the reports I have read these are the way forward - watch this space and I will let you know how I get on with them.

J.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed, seriously impressive bit of kit. I paid the extra for the SFX pads (instead of the DAS kit) - but from what I'm told the DAS pads actually do a better job! [:(]

But I might try some of the Megs pads - I've seen some good results with these on other cars (just hope they fit the polisher). I used Megs bodyshop polishes #83 and #80. The difference on my 6 year old paint was incredible. There were still some minor swirls left, but I think I'd get them with a more aggressive pad. It took me 2 days to get the job done using #83, #80, Klasse AIO then P21S, but it was definately worth it.

You won't regret your purchase mate... good luck with it [:D]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whats involved in using one of these Porters then?

Would you wash car then dry, paint cleanse with porter or without etc etc etc??? then polish, then wax???

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I would buy it now jace... 20% off is a big saving!
OK, I need porter owner help then.

I have plenty of cleaning materials, so I think I'm ok there, but do suggest any you think are worth adding.

What do I need to order, pads etc.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Whats involved in using one of these Porters then?

Would you wash car then dry, paint cleanse with porter or without etc etc etc??? then polish, then wax???
Well it depends on how bad your paint is.

If it's covered in swirl marks and scratches etc you'll need to but some sort of resotrer like the poorboys SSR range, a machine polish and a wax of some sort.

With mine I was and dry the car, use a swirl remover, apply a machine polish and finish of with a layer of Zymol wax.

I used the PC for all of it, applying the swirl remover and machine polish to the actual pad. But applying the Wzx by hand and then using the PC with a polishing bonnet to remove it followed by a final buff by hand.

J.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
The paint is swirl free, but maybe I should get some of the WZX stuff your applying by hand [;)]

I dont think it will improve my finish that much for the money its going to cost, but I feel I must have one in my collection of toys.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I just hope the wife's not in when parcel arrives to question me about how much it all cost[:$]
I know that feeling, how I ever convinced my wife that the huge box of goodies that arrived from the states cost me less than ?50 (more like ?225!) I'll never know! ;) (I think it went something like.... The exchange rate is really good at the moment!!!)

Amazing bit of kit, I thought our Golf looked good before, not it's just amazing!!! And it's fun doing it too!

·
Registered
148 Posts
How much is the delivery on one of these babys?

Also anyone had to pay customs charges and if so how much?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
How much is the delivery on one of these babys?

Also anyone had to pay customs charges and if so how much?

Many Thanks
Can't say for certain but delivery came in around ?30 I think including lots of other goodies I added. If you ask Autopia they will declare the value to be around $50 to avoid the customs charges too!

·
Registered
148 Posts
brilliant....

Think i might just pop over to their site now and order one.....

Sounds like this beauty will work wonders on my swirled black bora!

Just need some nice weather too spend some time on it!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
just make sure that if you start going mad on the autopia site that the delivery charges don;t negate the savings. I found that when I ordered more than the PC and a few bits the delivery doubled...

J.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts