Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys......

This will develop to be the one stop shop for ALL your Porter Cable (PC) needs and answers.

Where to buy one? Cheapest?

What products?

What pads?

What are the best power convertors?

Fell free to post questions for the people with the knowledege, but also please be generous with your responses and help people out.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actaully i could do with knowing about this!

I know what the item is, but how do you use it?

Can i ue my normal wax? Or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Can it be used for other product application, like hand glaze or scratch x?

·
Registered
117 Posts

help needed to buy a porter cable please

i am looking to buy a pc from autopia very soon.

i have read some of the posts from a while back and have become slightly confused.

can any one help with a few questions?

1. what pad set is best sfx or das for cars with only light swirls?

2. i use swissol products (from john wintle) are they ok for use with porter cable?

3. are autopia taking any promotion codes at the moment?

thanks for all your help in advance

joec

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
What products?

I've found a combination of different products will produce the result you're after. I can't speak for the other products I haven't used however, so don't take this list as gospel!

Polishing stage.
Scratch and swirl removal - medium/heavy = Poorboys SSR 2.5, or if particularily bad, Poorboys SSR3 with Sonus' Yellow SFX1 Pad. Both of these products are extremely good at removing scratch and swirls, but will leave the paintwork slightly hazy (If using SSR3 the effect will be greater, so you need to follow up with a slightly less abbrasive poslish (see next point).

Polishing for that 'initial shine' - If using the above products you need to follow up with a polish. I opted for Sonsu SFX1 used with Sonus' Yellow SFX1 Pad, which although is quoted as being a heavy polish, is far from from it, and will produce a deep gloss shine. Other products like Megs and Poorboys offer the same level of performance.

Glaze - This is not essential but it will produce the deepest gloss shine due to the light polishing compound it contains. This can be applied by hand but machine polishing can speed things up a little. The thing to watch with Glaze products is their type - some are oil based, which can affect silicon based wax/sealants. Both 3M and Megs offer Glazes, both of which are oil based. I have used both these Glazes in the past with Zymol Carbon Wax and have found them both to work really well with each other. I used the Sonus White SFX2 pad for applying these products.

Sealant / Waxing.
Sealant (optional) - Before carrynig out final waxing, I usually use a sealant product. Poorboys EFX sealant is one that I've settled on due to its high gloss finish and tough barrier formed when waxes can fail. As this is silicon based its important to make sure you haven't applied it on top of anything oil based as it will probably cause problems with the sealant bonding to the paint surface. Use the Sonus Blue SFX3 Pad for sealatnt/waxes.

Waxing - Many, many waxes are available. I've been using Zymol Carbon for a few years now and have always been pleased with the performance in British weather, especially winter.

As noted this guide may not be the best way to do things but I have found the results to be excellent. The beauty with having a PC is that you can try lots of different products, finding the best that suits your needs.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
been a bit of debate about what the different colour pads should be used for..........

anyone got a more definitive answer?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
iirc correctly it says on the bags they come in ie the realy hard one is for ssr3 (restore) the mid one ssr2 and the softest one ssr1, will check when I go home and update

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Click on the Autopia link above

I dont know of anybody importing them at the moment, so its just done on a personnel level.

An email to Autopia with what your after will give you an idea of the shipping costs, they are very good in responding.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Try john_wintle as he used to give a discount code for them, mine came to about ?140 inc shipping for the pc + a second set of pads ( no duty as the box was marked up at $5 came in about 5 days !

·
Registered
548 Posts
resurrected this thread as i have taken the opputunity to buy one with the exch rate being so good, arrived today! I was looking for the thread on how to change the plugs over to use on the 110 transformer but i cant find it.was thinking of taking the new cable straight into the pc - can i do this??

any help would be good.

P.S Autopia marked up goods as value of $25 so no sign of import tax....fingers crossed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I opened the 16a plugs i boughtfrom s/fix and they are simple, opened the p/c and the yanks use white / black so if i can find out which is which +/neu then should be fairly straight forward.

still cant find your guide Jace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts