Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know and what I've read on the 'net Porsche isn't part of the VAG group.

If this is the case why is it included in 'Other VAG'?

Porsche seems to still be autonomous and isn't listed as part of the VAG group on any of VW's websites.

Any chance of correcting this if it's the case?

From http://www.volkswagen-ag.de/english/defaultIE.html

The Group?s passenger car business is divided into two brand groups. Under the leadership of the Group, the Audi and Volkswagen brands are responsible for the performance of their respective brand group worldwide. The Audi brand group comprises the Audi, SEAT and Lamborghini brands. The Volkswagen brand group is made up of the Volkswagen Passenger Cars, ?koda, Bentley and Bugatti brands. Each brand retains its differentiated brand image and operates as an independent entity on the market. Together, the product range extend from the lowconsumption 3 litre vehicle to luxury class vehicles. The Group?s commercial vehicle products are the responsibility of the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brand.

No mention whatsoever of Porsche.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
They have a share in Volkswagen AG (18~ percent) so colloquially can be lumped under 'VAG' cars although they are not owned by Volkswagen.

I have seen much debate around the wording of it, I guess this is just one of those places where it was felt appropriate to describe it as VAG rather than put it in non-VAG with 'everything else'

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's not part of the VAG group and the site just says that it is for some unspecified reason. Thanks for confirming that.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Unless there is some other piece of information I am missing, the reason as I understand it is explained (or if you prefer, specified) above.

You are welcome [:)]

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without wishing to appear like I'm banging on about it for no reason, what you're saying is that Porsches are known on this board as 'VAG group' cars. The rest of the world doesn't use that description and neither do Porsche or indeed the VAG group itself.

I just wondered what the reasoning was behind including a marque that isn't part of the VAG group within it. I guess the answer is 'we just do'. It's still still an incorrect inclusion however.

Thanks for explaining it.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Actually I know a lot of people, who have never visited this board, that count Porsche (loosely) as a VAG group car - i.e. not under Volkswagen AG but nonetheless playing a financial and historical part in the company (Ferdinand Porsche having designed the first Beetle and old Porsches / VWs sharing parts - how true this is nowadays I'm not sure apart from the Touareg & Cayenne).

Albeit most of these people are coming from a VW or Audi perspective rather than Porsche.

For now, the inclusion of Porsche in our VAG cars category symbolises its close relationship with the Volkswagen group rather than leaving it to non-VAG with every other marque of car. Whether this will change in future or not I do not know.

Feedback is always welcome.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds feasible, many non cognoscenti regard the 911 as nothing more than a lower slung more powerful Beetle.

I imagine Porsche owners the world over would feel honoured to be included within the auspices of the VAG group in this small corner of the internet world.

However incorrect it is factually.

·
Registered
438 Posts
While not linked to VAG in the same way as Skoda, or Bentley, Porsche and VAG have always had a close relationship.

Throughout their history, they have always done deals with eachother.
The original beetle was breathed upon by porsche. The 924 had a VW
engine. The Audi RS2 was developed in part by porsche. And at the end
of the day, the cayenne is a touarag in drag. And I'm sure some more
knowledgeable people could give some more examples

Whilst porsche isn't part of the VAG group as we know it, I for one,
consider it part of the extended family, and I'm sure other do too.

Peter

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think we all know about the history of the two companies, after all who designed the original people's car.

It's been explained to my satisfaction that some people here like to believe that Porsche is part of the VAG group.

I think I'll prefer to continue thinking it isn't because it isn't. Seems fairly logical.

Some interesting comments on this thread and the one in 'other vag' over on the Porsche forum where the owners have a somewhat different point of view................[;)]

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you'd like what they are saying much and I know what a sensitive bunch people on here can be sometimes. So I'll spare your sensibilities.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No one cares about your ramblings anymore Sammy. I thought you were quite funny before but why go to the bother of winding up the admin?

The Porsche owners on this website don't seem to care, hell you don't even own a Porsche so why do you? Cause you want a 996 when they hit 30k?

Unlike half the mongs who usually reply to you i'm just stating the facts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
No one cares about your ramblings
anymore Sammy. I thought you were quite funny before but why go to the
bother of winding up the admin?

The Porsche owners on this website don't seem to care, hell you
don't even own a Porsche so why do you? Cause you want a 996 when they
hit 30k?

Oi! Im not a mong! [:p]

Does seem like a bit of an unnecessary ramble. I've had a few in the past.

Peter

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
[/getting back on topic]

Porsche allowed VAG to buy into the company to prevent any other companies attempting a hostile take over bid. There are also family links between the head bloke at VW and Porsche.

Plus like others have said, there are long standing ties between the two companies historically, so I guess there is more to be gained by creating a tie this way rather than a hostile bid by say BMW, or worse still Ford.

I'm sure Ford would enjoy Porsche to join their premier brands group with Land Rover, Volvo, Jag etc. Especially when you take into account that Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world....

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I don't think you'd like what they are saying much and I know what a sensitive bunch people on here can be sometimes. So I'll spare your sensibilities.
No need, I'm just interested in the opinions of others on the matter which you refer to. PM me please if you don't want everybody to see the link

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
No one cares about your ramblings anymore Sammy. I thought you were quite funny before but why go to the bother of winding up the admin?

The Porsche owners on this website don't seem to care, hell you don't even own a Porsche so why do you? Cause you want a 996 when they hit 30k?

Quite right chief. I own a porsche and 2VWs.........and I really dont give two hoots if its in Other VAG on here!

Your right about Spammyboy not owning a Porsche, so you wonder what he's bangin on about.........well the rest of us wonder that whenever he starts his other rubbish,cos he doesn't even have a VW anymore either!

Maybe we should add Spammyboy himself into the other VAG forum........he is a great big vag as far as I can see!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The facts are that VW own a portion of the Porsche company- so both historically and presently they are tied together. May well be the case that folk on the 911 forum don't like this but it doesn't detract from the facts.

I think its "case solved" here!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No intention of winding up at all Chief, just a question I was curious to know the answer to.

They aren't part of the VAG group though are they? That's what I was seeking to find out. If someone here knew something I didn't.

As you say 'case solved' as they don't.

Didn't Porsche recently buy a stake in VW and not the other way round as Gary suggested?

If this site wants to believe that Porsche is part of the VAG group that's fine, doesn't bother me in the slightest. No need whatsoever to be factually correct. You can say black is white for all I care, no problems, I was just curious.[:)]

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I thought it was the other way around, but obviously not.

Its all about imge though. Looking past VAG group, you'll find that VW and Skoda share a relationship as do Audi and Seat. If they don't publicise a link its possibly because they don't want it to be known. Maybe Porsche think it'll dilute there brand if they are associated with a car for the minions like you or I! I'm sure everyone would agree that someone spending ?120k+ on a 911GT3 will want to feel soooper exculsive!

I remember know though its the other way around but the facts remain-it was a move to prevent a hostile takeover. As VW announces its the biggest is Europe it also faces job cuts etc to remain in the black.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts