Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just got some porsche brakes (including everything i need) and i was just wondering which side they go on. In some pictures i have seen the "Porsche" going upwards and others i have seen it going downwards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got them fitted and everything now. They dont seem to be working that well though. I've bled the system a few times and it hasn't got any better. I've been told to try new pads. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the master cylinder has been bled. Problem im getting is that when i brake it feels like the front brakes arent really working and the back brakes are fighting the abs. The front of the car does dive slightly and the front brakes are getting warm so they are working just not well at all.

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Im 99% sure youll have air in the system then! When i got my brakes changed the pedal was terrible... really soft, but if you pressed hard then they worked very well!

Try to get them re-bled again! [Y]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not air in the system im sure. I've bled them myself twice and taken them to a garage and they did it too. When i press hard they dont work well is my problem. They dont work at all to be honest. Id imagine they are working at 10% of what they should.

·
Boost Junkie
1,534 Posts
when i changed my front calipers i had the same problem. mk4s can be a pain to bleed. there definately should still be air in the system. last resort may be an abs bleed?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
dont let the fluid run low and get someone to keep puring it and keeping it to the top at all times. then bleed the m/c front nipple first then back one two to three times and you should have all of the air out. if the cylinder runs low for one of two strokes of the pedal then it will draw in air and make them very vague

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never heard of an abs bleed before so ill look into that.

Did you fit new discs and pads?
Disks look nearly new but pads are less then half.

dont let the fluid run low and get someone to keep puring it and keeping it to the top at all times. then bleed the m/c front nipple first then back one two to three times and you should have all of the air out. if the cylinder runs low for one of two strokes of the pedal then it will draw in air and make them very vague
Ill have a go at that too thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Id be 99% sure that the extra fluid req'd to move the larger piston set up is causing your probs, unless its been proved otherwise by other modders. Larger m/c req'd would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Id be 99% sure that the extra fluid req'd to move the larger piston set up is causing your probs, unless its been proved otherwise by other modders. Larger m/c req'd would be my suggestion.
Doubt it, Porsche breaks are a common mod and you dont normally need a bigger m/c - but yea exactly which calipers do u have

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hey OP .... are you using REAR porsche calipers? They have smaller pistons and not suited to using on the front of your golf.

Its just a possibility because i know other users have had this problem after fitting rear porsche calipers onto the front of their golf's, they all feel the rear brakes working overtime and lack of stopping power from the front. [whistle]

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hey OP .... are you using REAR porsche calipers? They have smaller pistons and not suited to using on the front of your golf.

Its just a possibility because i know other users have had this problem after fitting rear porsche calipers onto the front of their golf's, they all feel the rear brakes working overtime and lack of stopping power from the front.
Incorrect. Their are many different types of porsche caliper - using rear porsche calipers if fine as long as they came of the rear of the correct porsche. Their is a thread that discusses the use of various porsche calipers on here if you do a search - its worth a read

·
Registered
590 Posts
Its air in my honest opinion - particularly if the pedal is hard then soft.

I had an ABS bleed on my old Passat - its quite bizzare stood there watching it, but it worked well!

Tom

1 - 20 of 39 Posts