Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys has any one got a guide to fit polo rear wiper to mk 4 golf?

Is it sraight forward ?

What is th e part no?

Are there any mods you have to do ?

Help appriciated

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
thats not totally true! U may need to trim a mm or two of the plastic cap as it can foul the glass and scratch! I trimmed mine with a junior hacksaw and it looks perfect!

U can but it off VAGPARTS website for about ?15 all in! thats where i got mine!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by PaulGT on 11/01/2005 19:40:16

thats not totally true! U may need to trim a mm or two of the plastic cap as it can foul the glass and scratch! I trimmed mine with a junior hacksaw and it looks perfect!

Ditto. If your getting them from a stealer, there are 3 parts - arm, blade & cap, all with part no's.

Foxy's web site had the no's, but i don't know if it's still up....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yea il second what paulGT said, i had to take a few mills of the cup that fits over the water jet.

I did it gradually with a heavy file, constantly checking as i went, because it kept poping off when the wiper moved.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
I trimmed mine by finding a smoothish paving slab and placing it on the slab. Just move it back and forth and there you go!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
There is one small modification required to the cap for the wiper arm, s couple of mm's need shaving off to allow the cap to fit.

I fitted mine this morning and took 5 mins and an adjustable spanner.

I got the part numbers from Foxy's website.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote: posted by Diesel on 11/01/2005 20:27:33

I trimmed mine by finding a smoothish paving slab and placing it on the slab. Just move it back and forth and there you go!

Whatever works I suppose!

I used a stanley knife to do it.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by Diesel on 11/01/2005 20:27:33

Thats what I did with mine too [:D]

I recently bought the wiper blade for a Touran. It's about an inch longer than the polo one, but now it clears much more area now, including all of the Third brake light area (which makes it safer I guess).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

Just ask for a polo rear wiper then ? I take it, it can be from a 04 model.

Also what is the part no for the areo wipers for front ????

would like to change the front also.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 11/01/2005 21:29:39

I recently bought the wiper blade for a Touran. It's about an inch longer than the polo one, but now it clears much more area now, including all of the Third brake light area (which makes it safer I guess).

interesting! I may have to get one! i find mine judders and stops randomly really badly on the rear screen, whatever i put on the screen too! It does work fine after its left on intermittant for 15mins or so, perhaps its the motor!? [V]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Erm, I didn't have to make any modifications with mine - just took off the old one, popped on the new one - easy peasy. Nothing needed to be 'trimmed' at all...

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by PaulGT on 11/01/2005 22:34:23

Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 11/01/2005 21:29:39

interesting! I may have to get one! i find mine judders and stops randomly really badly on the rear screen, whatever i put on the screen too! It does work fine after its left on intermittant for 15mins or so, perhaps its the motor!? [V]

Sounds like the motor is seizing up. Maybe u can get away with taking it apart and giving it a general clean up and lube?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You may find (like me) that the old wiper is a little seized on the splines. it has a ring of softish metal (brass or copper, I guess ?) that the splines bite into when you tighten the nut. Mine was a bit seized after six years.. just need to wiggle and waggle (whichever puts wind in your sails [:p]) it about a bit then it's straightforward from there.. [:)] A simple mod.. (even I can do it) and it tidies up the rear end a treat.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Quote: posted by Valve on 11/01/2005 21:50:58

Thanks guys.

Just ask for a polo rear wiper then ? I take it, it can be from a 04 model.

Also what is the part no for the areo wipers for front ????

would like to change the front also.

Cheers

Valve, the part numbers you require.

Rear wiper arm. 6Q6955707A

Wiperblade. 6Q6955425A

Cap. 6Q6955435A

Front aero wipers.

Wiper arm 1J2955409D

Wiper arm 1J2955410D

Wiperblade 1J2955425A

Wiperblade 1J2955426A

HTH. [:)]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmm. Okay chaps - which wiper do I have:

Posted Image

I see all of you guys saying you've got Polo wipers and needed to trim bits, but I didn't!

I ordered a Polo wiper from vagparts, and this is what I've got. No modification was required.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
There is a simple reason why some of us had to trim the cap, and some didn't!

It's down to how the factory fitted the wiper motor onto the car. There is some tolerance to the way it's fitted, hence some of us find that the spline is a tad short, whilsts for others it's fine.

No big deal really, and nothing to worry about!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts