Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Pretty good, but....

the rear lights on all new Polos are disgusting, along with the odd-shaped base to the rear window. Plus, it steals the "specialness" of the Golf GTI. VW selling out the GTI brand again.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Looks alright..... a bit too mini-golf now but its nicer than the last one.

I just worry about the price... currently the dearest Polo is the Sport
TDI130 at ?15.5k.... whats the betting this one pips ?17k? It's lunacy
for a car that size if you ask me.........

My car was ?15k, the new Focus ST is only ?17.5k........ i just dont know who this is aimed at.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I like it.

Fine if it looks like a Mini Golf GTI by me, there are those of us that like the looks and ideals of the MK5 GTI but either can't afford one or don't want the huge size of it (or both in my case!).

It won't have the MK5 Golfs new rear suspension so won't handle that well really, and for performane figures just look at either the Ibiza FR 1.8t or MKIV Golf 150 1.8t, similar weights all round.

Cost wise I would think it would be about two grand dearer than an Ibiza FR 1.8t, which just makes the Fabia vRS even more of a bargain!

Apologies to badge fascists for mentioning other 'lesser' brands!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I like it.

Fine if it looks like a Mini Golf GTI by me, there are those of us
that like the looks and ideals of the MK5 GTI but either can't afford
one or don't want the huge size of it (or both in my case!).

It won't have the MK5 Golfs new rear suspension so won't handle that
well really, and for performane figures just look at either the Ibiza
FR 1.8t or MKIV Golf 150 1.8t, similar weights all round.

Cost wise I would think it would be about two grand dearer than an
Ibiza FR 1.8t, which just makes the Fabia vRS even more of a bargain!

Apologies to badge fascists for mentioning other 'lesser' brands!
But you're absolutely right though....... its gonna end up costing almost what a new Leon Cupra R 225 did!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think even the most keen VW geek will have a problem telling that Polo GTI apart from a Golf GTI at a glance. Its really taken away the specialness of the Golf. However, at least one thing can be said....there is a definate GTI look for the VW cars now, which isnt a bad thing. We have long been moaning about how the MK4 GTI blends in with the High-spec diesels, V5's and V6's. Now at least you can say....its a GTI.

I dont think its such a bad thing, as overall the GTI model range will feel more special, however I do worry about the prices of cars spiralling out of control.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Just think....with that engine Revo'd, Lowered with ARBs and the 18"
wheels off the Golf GTi you'll have a great track day/fast road car
that looks OEM.
Great, but with that ?2k your gonna spend, this is a supermini that is
going to cost not far short of ?20k......... thats absolutely crazy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Basically all VW cars are going to have the same design.

Lupo, Polo, Golf, Bora, Passat, Phaeton

Front + Back you wont be able to tell the difference, from the side it just depends how long it is.

WELL DONE VW.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ugggghhh, I feel cheapened, I think that VW have gone a bit too far here.  Give the Polo a few hints of the Golf, but not a carbon copy.  The wheels should be different, the seats should be too (why harp back to the MK1 Golf GTI?) I don't have a problem with the semi honeycomb grille, but I do with the rear end.  Hopefully it will have decent suspension, and be a real hot to drive, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really like it apart from the rear lights. The point is that the new Polo isn't a super mini cos it aint that small anymore. The super mini in the VW range will be the new Fox (The GTI version of that looks the same aswell). The new Polo is around the same size as a MK3 golf thats not that small, and if it does have the 1.8T in it then 200 plus HP is easy got.

This car goes up against 206 GTI 180, Clio 182 and the likes. I have always loved these cars but the build quality has always put me off. A 200 HP polo will be excellent. If the price is as high as predicted it is going to be a great second hand by in a couple of years.

Ross

·
Registered
809 Posts
Prices now announced: just under 19k Euros in the Fatherland, which is about 750 Euros dearer than the 130 TDI Sportline Polo,

so initial estimates of ?15.5k in Blightly should be about right. Tough call new, but will make an interesting used buy in a few years time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
At ?15.5k i would certainly consider one

it would be a beast after a re-map and the only bad thing about it is the rear lights
Alternative rear lights are available for it, there was a picture of some a couple of months ago in Volkswagen Driver magazine. I've seen a couple of these facelifted Polos about now and the lights front and rear are awful. The black fronts are a big improvement.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Loving it! Man thats how the Polo SHOULD have looked since the last one. Yes its a tad bit mini GTI but tbh, didn't the previous GTI Polo look a tad mini MKIV Golf GTI? Not that Im a fan of Lexus lights buts the rear end isnt that bad and its a darn sight more interesting than the outgoing Polo. When they redesigned/facelift the Polo, I just felt it looked so much better than buggy eyes frumpy granddad of the last car.

VERY interested here I have and 1.8T in that car! (OK so the Ibiza FR has done it already)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.