Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I remove the long black plastic scuttle tray shield, I can see the pollen filter completely exposed. should it not have a cover of some sort?

The reason I ask is because I've had rainwater flooding of my passenger footwell. Upon checking the pollen filter I noticed that it was soaking wet, so water is passing through the filter and running down the airvents into the cabin.

Cheers

Carlos

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 25/03/2005 22:59:53

Yes it's supposed to have a black plastic cover! Without one, rainwater will run into the passenger footwell

Must have been the stealers, replacing the filter and forgetting to put the cover back on.

Thanks

Carlos

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: posted by 20valve on 26/03/2005 09:31:25

Part no: 1J0 819 648

Hi,

Just got hold of ETKA and had a look. The part no you stated seems to be the plastic frame that holds the filter. The cover that I'm missing looks more like a very small shield (part 17). I'm thinking that this can't be what stops water getting into the filter???

Posted Image

Cheers

Carlos

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been trying to fix my condensation/damp footwell problem, so I checked the pollen filter this morning.

I removed the scuttle tray and the pollen filter was visible straight away - so I'm confused about the comments in this thread that say there should be a cover - do you guys just mean the scuttle tray?

I unclipped the filter via the two clips at the front and examined it - it seemed to have a fair few leaves/ dead flies etc. I'm going to pick another one up from VW next week and replace it - hopefully that will fix it.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I've been trying to fix my condensation/damp footwell problem, so I checked the pollen filter this morning.

I removed the scuttle tray and the pollen filter was
visible straight away - so I'm confused about the comments in this
thread that say there should be a cover - do you guys just mean the
scuttle tray?

I unclipped the filter via the two clips at the front and
examined it - it seemed to have a fair few leaves/ dead flies etc. I'm
going to pick another one up from VW next week and replace it -
hopefully that will fix it.
The pollen filter is partially covered by it's own black plastic tray which is screwed to the scuttle.

The tray we are talking about is screwed in with 3 or 4 black self tapping screws..

In most cases where there is a wet footwell, it is because this
tray has been incorrectly re-fitted after a pollen filter has been
changed.

After my last service the tray was incorrectly fitted and they also
cracked the tray by forcing it into position, which meant it needed to
be replaced.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of a correctly fitted pollen filter and scuttle tray? I'm worried that mine weren't set correctly before I took them out - in which case I have just put them back in exactly the same way.

I'm going to buy a new pollen filter on monday, hopefully that might make a difference. I've noticed that all the footwells are damp underneath the plastic mats.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
No pictures, but a few tips:

Take a look under the windscreen. Directly bove the pollen filter area
there is a slanting piece of metal which is actually a rain water
gutter.

the 'Filter Cover' edge must go behind this, so as rain water flows
down, the filter cover will catch the water, and channel it away...

Getting the cover back in place is quite a struggle because of this
metal water gutter, which is why cover's get put back wrong (Cause
people give up) so when it rains, it pours into the footwell..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did the same on my bora, took the cover off, replaced pollen filter,tried to put the cover back, ended up snapping a little bit of plastic off one end, thougt to myself ( probably didnt need that anyway ) woke next morning to find a puddle in n/s footwell after overnight rain.Got new one from dealer, must happen regular as part was in stock, fitted it very carefully.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've taken some pictures, hopefully someone can have a quick peek and tell me if anything looks suspect. I've never uploaded pictures before so it may take me a while, I'll have to do some reading up on how to do it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That looks ok to me, if it doesnt leek, problem solved. Its one of them jobs where you can spend ten minutes struggling to refit, thinking it wont go back when it just all of a sudden slots into place, like i said earlier, part was in stock so made me think these are often damaged if forced into position.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Well atleast the cover is there!

the leak therefore is caused either by it not being fitted correctly (looks likely as the cover doesn't look tight up against the scuttle - suggesting that it's not correctly seated)

Or the cover itself could be cracked - as mine was because the monkeys are the garage broke it when refitting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts