Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Who makes the best inkjet printers?" description="Sad topic, but need to settle an argument. So who do you think makes the best inkjet printers? By best I mean overall. I don't mean which printer has the cheapest ink cartridges, cheap ink cartridges do not qualify it as the best make of printer....so get voting people! Oh, my bet is that HP comes out top!"><a>Apple</a>Epson<c>HP</c><d>Lexmark</d><e>Canon</e><f>Brother</f><g>Dell</g><h>Olivetti</h>Other</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I had a canon for a year, which broke. I then had a HP Deskjet 850C for 8 years - it lost a wheel, two cogs, and eventually got a bit tempermental picking up paper - but it still worked, and printed as well as the day I got it.

Got a shock though when I upgraded to my current HP PhotoSmart 8150. It is the absolute mutts, and produces perfect (for me anyway, I'm sure a pro would pick holes as usual [;)]), and I wouldn't go anywhere else for a printer except HP [y]

Well interested to see how this turns out [:)]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a canon for a year, which broke. I then had a HP Deskjet 850C for 8 years - it lost a wheel, two cogs, and eventually got a bit tempermental picking up paper - but it still worked, and printed as well as the day I got it.

Got a shock though when I upgraded to my current HP PhotoSmart 8150. It is the absolute mutts, and produces perfect (for me anyway, I'm sure a pro would pick holes as usual [;)]), and I wouldn't go anywhere else for a printer except HP [y]

Well interested to see how this turns out [:)]

C
I've only ever had 2 HP's break on me in my workplace. One was a Deskjet 3420, as cheap as you can get, which still churned through a fair few reams of paper and my Deskjet 740, same type of model as yours CKB. Lasted me years and years until the carriage decided to nearly shoot through the side of the printer and not come back!

Got a deskjet 5150 now, with over 16,000 pages printed and theres stilla few Deskjet 940's at work with well over 40k pages printed, still print absolutely fine.

The reason for this poll is that my mate thinks Epsons rule. I've had 6 epsons, 5 at work (they wanted cheap cartridges) and 1 at home. All went in the bin ages ago, either blocked heads, waste pads full and ink flowing places you dont want it to flow or just gave up the ghost.

This is the reason for this poll, Epson vs HP really, though some other could come out on top.

Also I get really really annoyed when someone tries to tell me Epsons are the best because you can get carts for 99p. Great!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Also I get really really annoyed when someone tries to tell me Epsons are the best because you can get carts for 99p. Great!
Especially as you're IT related - you KNOW the rule old boy [:D]

"You get what you pay for................"

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Well, it's not as clear cut as that. Years ago, maybe even still now, many HP Laserjets used Canon laser engines at their core. Does that make it a Canon or a HP? Ditto many early Apple ink jets were rebranded Canons (used the same BC-01 cartridge as the Canon BJ10/20 series), in fact Apple doesn't really make anything like that (why should they - it's commodity hardware), it's mostly re-branded kit.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dell's are rebranded Lexmarks. Thats the only inkjet I know thats rebranded? Dunno what's up with the Dell & Lexmark cartridges though, I haven't seen one that has given a good print. Text is awful.

So who did you vote for mate!?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I must admit that if HP made a printer that did direct cd printing I would have got one of theirs but since they dont......

Overall my opinion is that Epson do the best 'all rounders'. Good print quality, good quality ink and good range of printers to suit most needs. For out and out print quality though I'd say Canon.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HP do seem to be missing out on direct to CD printing. I had it in my R200 that died a while back, wasn't that good, but was quite handy I suppose.

However, HP don't need to build such things in to make it a good printer! [:p]

·
Registered
837 Posts
For safety and longevity I'd go for a HP, but for print speed and performance it's Canon every, single time.

I've had an Canon i865 for about 2 years. Print quality is top notch, especially for photos and it also uses minimal quantities of ink. As for speed, I do wonder if there is anything out there (other than a Canon) that can touch it still. It's faster at text than the huge HP Laserjet 4000 series I use at work.

My Canon was awesome for CD printing until I lost the printing tray [:mad:]

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think I'd agree with Spanner on this one. I think my vote is HP due to reliabilty more than anything. I've had both, but the HP lasted longer and there wasn't a lot in the picture quality back then. I do believe that Canon's picture quality now though, is second to none.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I believe Epson are the best but closely followed by HP

However when buying an inkjet always look for ones that taking individual inks and steer clear of non OEM refills/diy kits

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think it was "the gadget show" a while ago did a series tests on inkjet printers quality, cost of consumables ect.

I cant remember the exact results but one that really stood out that was fading of prints. They put all of them under a UV lamp for a week and the Epson looked untouched some of the others had faded badly.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You Epson peeps do my nut in [:D]

How you can class those pieces of plastic with fixed heads as the best printer is beyond me!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Because the image quality is the best. As an overall package the HP maybe a bit better but Epson still have the best quality.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have had 3 HPs in the past and eveyone has only lasted about 1yr... really got annoyed

Swithced to a canon i950 couple of years ago and its been great since, Not one problem with it

However the colours dont look as sharp as the HP print

I would go back to HP when this one breaks... aslong as i knew it wouldnt break very quickly

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I have had 3 HPs in the past and eveyone has only lasted about 1yr... really got annoyed

Swithced to a canon i950 couple of years ago and its been great since, Not one problem with it
Heh this is why I love threads like this - I always find someone the COMPLETE reverse of me [;)]

C

·
Registered
637 Posts
As you can imagine I print off quite a bit!!

• Labels
  • Invoices
  • Delivery Notes

And bought a HP 6850 (I THINK) in May last year and ONLY the end of Feb did I have to change the Black Cartridge - colour is due now too but still going strong been due for about 3 months....lol OK the printer cis top notch cost me about ?120 but well worth it IMO, economical, fast, WiFi, everything you could want

Cheers
C

p.s. Now after that I KNOW it will die on me....lol

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As you can imagine I print off quite a bit!!

• Labels
  • Invoices
  • Delivery Notes

And bought a HP 6850 (I THINK) in May last year and ONLY the end of Feb did I have to change the Black Cartridge - colour is due now too but still going strong been due for about 3 months....lol OK the printer cis top notch cost me about ?120 but well worth it IMO, economical, fast, WiFi, everything you could want

Cheers
C

p.s. Now after that I KNOW it will die on me....lol
On the 6850 hold the power button down (when the printer is on) and press the paper feed/resume button 4 times. You will see how many pages you have printed so far, so you could do one when you change the cartridge and another when you replace it. Good way of figuring out how much you actually print.

Don't think you print that many pages at all mate, I got the same printer at work, go through a black cartridge every couple of weeks, still going fine after about a year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts