Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="What should my next car be?" description="Just looking to you guys for any comments and opinions on what my next car should be and why. I currently have a Y reg 1.8T which I will probably get around ?5500 for. I'm looking to spend about ?8000. I do around 15,000 - 20,000 miles a year."><a>Golf V5 150</a>Golf V5 170<c>Bora V5 150</c><d>Golf 1.8T 150</d><e>Golf PD 115</e><f>Golf PD 130</f><g>Gold PD 150</g><h>Bora PD 130</h>Bora PD 150<j>Other (Please Specify)</j></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a follow up, I'm currently leaning towards a Golf or Bora V5, but am equally liking the sound of the Pd130.

Way I see it is that I can't get the 150 for 8 grand in all reality. So the V5 hits all the right marks with the sound that it makes, but the PD130 has tunability thanks to the turbo and also the fuel economy. What I would really like to hear is what you would go for and why, as it might open up other avenues which I haven't explored already.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Mine!

Was originally supplied in Exeter too....I want more than ?8k but still
about ?2k less than a PD150 of a similar age would cost. The exta cost
of a PD150 negates the fuel economy benefit IMO, with mine you have the
car, the noise and ?2k to spare.

Just an idea

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine!

Was originally supplied in Exeter too....I want more than ?8k but still about ?2k less than a PD150 of a similar age would cost. The exta cost of a PD150 negates the fuel economy benefit IMO, with mine you have the car, the noise and ?2k to spare.

Just an idea
Thing is, you can't do finance! 15-20k in a 2.8 V6 would kill me! I have had a look at it on ebay though and it is an extremely nice car, but I need to stop myself and be a bit more sensible, which is why I didnt include V6 in the poll.

Tab's. Can see what your saying and I would like to keep a long termer, never have before, never had a car longer than a year. Had this one 7 months and I'm getting itchy feet! However, I have plans such as doing up the interior to include a car computer etc etc in the next one and if had a turbo, I'd chip it, so hopefully it wouldn't be a flash in the pan. I don't think the 150 is an option with the 8k budget which I could stretch easily, but don't really see the point in being silly, but the 130 certainly is.

Looking to buy in the next 3-6 months so I've got plenty of time to plan this one instead of seeing a car I like and buying it which is what i usually do!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i'm sure ?8000 would buy you a very nice V5 Bora 170! my 150 cost me ?6500 in august last year and the prices have fallen a bit more.

make sure you get the 170 though, i wish i had known more about the engines then! i'm still well happy with mine though [:)]

the tuneablity of the engine isn't great but the sound is [:D]

+20bhp with remap and exhaust, +100bhp with turbo [;)]

your timescale should set you up for an even better price as bora prices are gonna fall again when the mk5 is released.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich, I need to listen to yours really as I have never heard a V5 apart from over the net which don't quite do it justice I'm sure. When is the next Bristol meet?!!?

It's the sound that's pulling me towards the V5 as I've always wanted a sweet sounding motor that turns heads when it goes past. The V5 seems to give me roughly the same MPG as my 1.8T so I can live with that. Funnily though, your the only one who's voted for it, others being more in favour of the

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
not me, i didn't vote as theres no bora 170 [;)] but yeah, if you can find a golf 170 and you prefer the golf to the bora go for it!

i'm not a diesel fan so while i appreciate the power/economy ratio they put out i'm always gonna be a petrol head [:D]

next bristol meet is next month i believe, 2nd sunday. i'll take you out for a spin down the dual carriageway. if matty turns up we can have another sound off. the extra 10 valves in the 170 makes a different tune too, slightly higher pitched but both still gorgeous.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I missed the sound off last time as I had to go early [:(] Sounds good!! I aint gonna enter my hairdyer engine though [:p] Can you seriously hear the difference inside the car then? If so, spin sounds good!

I'm open to both the Bora and the Golf, don't mind either of them, have looked at a lot of Bora's though just because they are cheaper to buy and also cheaper to insure for some insane reason, plus I'm thinking Bora because of the different mod's I could then do.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clicky: Type a title for the link, highlight it, hit the icon with thw world and the chain on it and paste the address in the address bar.

As for that car, it states 3.2?! There wasn't one was there!?

But yes, the bora V5's are cheaper than the golfs with the same engine and have a higher spec, work that one out!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think you should go for a PD130 in GT trim. With the miles you're doing it makes sense. Although it will take a while to see the financial benefits it will see you better in the long run of you plan to keep for a long termer.
Second that plus best value for money if you have ?8grand to spend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[:O] why havent you got the 4 motion in your poll ''TUT,TUT'''

That shuld be your next car

I'm not bias [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[:O] why havent you got the 4 motion in your poll ''TUT,TUT'''

That shuld be your next car

I'm not bias [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Cus I don't want one [:D]

Well I do, but not doing up to 20k a year! I gotta be a bit sensible!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Can you seriously hear the difference inside the car then? If so, spin sounds good!
hahahaha, those bloody 1.8T's!

the sound you hear from inside is awesome, little rumbly 'V' engine sound at low rpm when accelerating and gorgeous roaring burbly sound at 4000rpm.

when matty and me were revving ours to see what the difference was at volksfest, andrew revved his 1.8T, there was no engine sound coming out the anni exhaust he's got?? hard to explain but it was very strange. the engine just doesn't seem to make any particular sound.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I voted for the Gold pd 150! Surely its gotta be worth loads more when you come to re-sell as its gold! [:p]

Hehehe only joking at typo [:$]

I think a move up to something with 4 4wd like the 4mo to really get the heart pumping! Haldex is king in the wet country we call england & the handling is superb!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can you seriously hear the difference inside the car then? If so, spin sounds good!
hahahaha, those bloody 1.8T's!

the sound you hear from inside is awesome, little rumbly 'V' engine sound at low rpm when accelerating and gorgeous roaring burbly sound at 4000rpm.

when matty and me were revving ours to see what the difference was at volksfest, andrew revved his 1.8T, there was no engine sound coming out the anni exhaust he's got?? hard to explain but it was very strange. the engine just doesn't seem to make any particular sound.
You'll have to try and impress me then mate to sway my decision from the PD! Diesel is all nice and all that, but you can only get one sound....taxi sound! But then that one is tunable.....argh!

Yogi, V6 is out of the question....to expensive to keep the juice levels up. I know V5's don't exactly run on air, but on paper they get 8mpg more!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
As a follow up, I'm currently leaning towards a Golf or Bora V5, but am equally liking the sound of the Pd130.

Way I see it is that I can't get the 150 for 8 grand in all reality. So the V5 hits all the right marks with the sound that it makes, but the PD130 has tunability thanks to the turbo and also the fuel economy. What I would really like to hear is what you would go for and why, as it might open up other avenues which I haven't explored already.
I think you should buy an R32 Diesel!!! [:p][;)][:D]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts