Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="What should I buy.....votes and opinions please........" description="Time has come to sell my current car, as much as I have loved my golf it has had problem after problem, and it is time to call it a day and get something different. I am also looking for something with a bit more power because turning 21 I can now afford the insurance on something with a bit more poke...... big smile!

I know that at the end of the day its down to personal choice, but I have found that from a test drive etc it is not easy to tell what you will think of a car 10,000 miles later, so I am looking for your opinions to help my decision......

Below are what I am currently considering, your opinions would be great, many thanks. I am looking for all round opinions on the car, performance (handling and power) RELIABILITY after my golf (I think it was a bad one), and generally easy to get on with it the long run.
"><a>2001/02 Audi A3 1.8T Quattro Sport</a>2002 (post face lift) seat leon cupra (non R)<c>2001/2 VW Golf V5 (170)</c><d>2002 Mini Cooper</d><e>bmw 320d</e></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Much as I'd love to say BMW because it drives the best of all of those cars I don't think you'd get one young enough to compare directly. A good 320d Sport will cost you a fair bit more than a comparable A3.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ive been pretty impressed with my V5 having owned it for a month. Its plenty powerful across the rev range without having any turbo lag issues so you can drive it quickly while being lazy! Its a bit on the thirsty side and i think my insurance is going to be about ?700 being 25 and with full no claims and 3 points :( So dont know if thats out of your range.

I tried the leon and its very quick but image wise i just kept feeling people were shouting "CHAV!" at me as i drove by. The audis to me in the older shape look a bit dated so u have to hunt to fine one with the right trim/wheels or the beautiful S3 while you struggle to insure at 21.

What is it your getting rid of? and what is your budget?

·
Registered
178 Posts
PS had a 2004 Mini Cooper S 170BHP. Bloody brilliant car but stupid on fuel, insurance and few to many people think your Gay for my liking, dont get me wrong im sure being gay is great if you are gay but no one wants to be called it by mistake! :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im getting rid of a GT TDI 115pd (6 sd)..... and my budget is about ?9000 would prefer 8500 but we shall see, could stretch to 9500 but thats a maybe....really looking for nearer ?8500.

Something I would add at this point, insurance wise, they are as follows,

Audi ?745

Seat ?1050

Golf V5 ?1050

Mini ?650

Bmw, not looked as I dont think I am going to get one.....only an idea......

As for the mini I do know what you mean, have thought they are maybe a tad girly for my liking.....I would like the V5 golf, a friend has one and it sounds and goes great but I dont think I want to buy another golf (maybe the wrong place to say this) after customer service and reliability. However due to loving owning it for the past two years I want to stay in the family......

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got my 2001 V5 for ?7000 with only 43k on the clock, which was good price but thats well under your budget which would help towards your insurance etc. Im guessing you have been pretty unlucky as the diesels are pretty solid for most owners but when you lose your faith in something it doesnt help. Here is a tip, look for the cars i the classified on here and then check their previous posts, least it gives u a heads up on whats being going on with a car!

My mates always wittering on about Octavia VRS's they would be in ur price range if your not a badge snob ;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My dad has a 320d and it is really quick, will sit a 100mph all day long as still return stupid Mpg, and you get to drive a beemer with rear drive and all the perks just take your time to find a nice one... i wouldnt buy an audi A3, my mate has got one and he has had no end of problems with it and at the end of the day its VAG which just makes it a rehashed golf or the other way round..

otherwise i recon the mini would be a good laugh... esp if you could stretch to cooper s!! [:p]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The insurance on the cooper s is 900 so that would be doable, however price wise they are just that little bit too much I think. The Audi has been romoured to be put together better than the Golf, however I am not sure how true that is, and as you said your friend has had trouble with his...... I am a bit worried the BMW is a bit too much of a young family man car (no offence to anyone who has one) rather than something your average 21yr old would drive.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
how much would you say that I would have to spend to get a comparable 320d then Richard?
For a good 320d Sport you'd be looking at around ?13k+ for a sub 50k miles car. The Sport spec didn't come out until late 2002 so you're getting quite a new car too.

If you were happy to go with an SE (and they're good - think of a MkIV with coilovers and you've got the handling capability, but with better ride....) then you'd get one for under ?10k. Just make sure that you get a post '01 facelift car, the steering is better and the engine was upgraded from 136bhp to150bhp.

I've got an SE and it's superb, just has a real feel to it that I've never experienced from another mainstream manufacturer's car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When in 01 did the face lift take place?that is interesting info, will have to look how much the insurance is....

·
Registered
148 Posts

Picture of vehicle

[U]Enlarge[/U]

Picture of vehiclePicture of vehiclePicture of vehiclePicture of vehicle

54 Reg SEAT Leon 1.8 20v 225 R Cupra
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 9,500 miles, Yellow. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Climate control, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Folding rear seats, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD Multichanger, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control.Insurance Group:17, this car is on hpi as s/rec ,needs minor work,very quick car drive away a bargain ,,mobile no is 07703 487028 ?8,995.

Car Solutions

Dealer's Website

Tel: 01489 881531

Distance: 5 miles
Price: ?8,995

What about this?

I am so tempted by this!!!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Go for the seat imho loads of power cheaper than an audi/vw equaivilent
and just the same as the S3 if you go for the cupra R 225bhp.

Best buy imo

Sat

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The curpa R would be nice, but once again more than I am willing to pay in insurance, the seat would have to be the standard, 180bhp cupra rather than the R......

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The curpa R would be nice, but once again more
than I am willing to pay in insurance, the seat would have to be the
standard, 180bhp cupra rather than the R......
just re read your 1st post, either cupra is nice if anything just put
the cupra R kit work on there to give it that more beefy look.

Sat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts