Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Skoda Superb....should I?" description="Now before you click "Keep the Golf", please read the following. I recently drove a Skoda Superb (one I reclaimed, a perk of the job is you get to drive ALOT of different things), and I absolutely loved it. Now to understand something here, my frame of mind before driving it was "oh god its a skoda...its going to be a long drive home", but from the moment I sat in it I was a converted man. I looked around to find Leather seats, Front and Rear Heated Seats, Electrice memory seats, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Bi-Xenons, an extra 10cm more rear legroom than the Passat, W8 style Lighting, MFD Navi Unit the list really goes on. Hmmm quite a high spec I though to myself...then i drove it out of the carpark. It was lovely, it had real comfort, road presence and returned 47mpg on a 150mile run home (100m was motorway) from its 130bhp PD engine. Imagine my surprise when I checked the skoda website and found ALL of the options I saw on the car were STANDARD! and for only ?19327 (manual).
To me, my whole outlook on cars has changed. I cant believe that we (the forum) go running around scavenging little upgrades from ebay like sat nav or leather, just to find that this car has it all and more!!! (Air conditioned glove box, illuminated interior door handles, folding mirrors, auto dimming mirror, 17" alloys....I can keep going!). It made me realise just how much money I have wasted on my car, and how I really am driving the wrong car. At the end of the day, what is important? Power? Not when you are stuck in Traffic. Looks? Hey...its just a piece of metal. Badge? Thats just down to vanity. Therefore, my golf offers the Power, Looks and Badge, but does not offer what you really want from a car. Comfort, Economy and Spec.
I am really thinking about changing up, Im at that point now where I have taken a step back from modifying and I really want a "Nice" car that is good to drive and has all the toys under the sun.

And then there is the price of fuel...the 1.8T drinks it like there is no tommorrow in comparason with a 130bhp engine.

The only downsides I can think are these:
-badge (doesnt bother me....)
-residual value (offset that against the money I have wasted on the golf and its not that bad! I would prolly buy a year old one, hence it would have lost most of its early money).

Please, dont be a person who clicks on the "Keep the golf" just for the sake of it, ive really thought about this, and it just seems to be the mature and smart thing to do.

Oh yes, if I do decide to buy a Superb...the Golf will be Retro Fitted. Thus my Anni Interior, R-Line Kit, Sat Nav, 18" alloys, xenons etc will all be up for grabs (cash+yours). No point in letting the dealer have it!
"><a>Keep the Golf.</a>Buy a Skoda Superb.</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Posted Image

...and im not worried about modifying it either, my modding days are over. I spent way too much on the Golf, and I have a different way of thinking now. All I would probably do to it would be a Revo enhancement (thats just good value for money), and window tints (as I do with all my cars). I would buy a similar spec to the one in the picture. Black magic pearl, Black leather with the 17" alloys.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I voted for the superb, i had chance to drive one recently and have even considered buying one..., imo, a Superb in PD130 guise with Elegance spec is an absolutely belting car for the money, ALL the toys you will ever need, decent engine with scope for 170BHP and still 50MPG, and the space of a stretched Passat, ignore people who can't look past the badge and enjoy the thinking mans luxo-barge....! [:D]

I think Simon (Baker21) has made a belting move into his Superb imo, one that i would and still may next year..... [:D]

Steve

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Now
before you click "Keep the Golf", please read the following. I recently
drove a Skoda Superb (one I reclaimed, a perk of the job is you get to
drive ALOT of different things),
As a bailiff? Ouch!!!

I say buy one, and not for the sake of modding but for the sake of
proportions, stick some good Audi 18"s/19"s on it. Then you have a good
looking, well specced, quite unique car. Octavias are bought by Taxi
drivers rather than Superbs and you do not see that many around, makes
a nice change

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now beddie...why did you have to publish that photo? GRRR

...must not mod....must not mod....must not mod....

[;)]

Wow...doesnt it look good with just a set of rims? Thats really nice...REALLY nice.

If anyone wants to check out the spec for themselves....have a look at Skoda's site:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/skoda3g/content/showroom/superb/specifications_equipment.aspx

The thing is, the 3 things the Golf have over the Superb...badge, speed and looks...really dont matter. I see thru the badge (still wouldnt buy a Kia! LOL), I cant use the speed on todays roads and no-matter how good your car looks...someone always has something better.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sorry mate, i'll try not to tempt you in future lol!! [;)]

That particular pic is one of my faves of the Superb, would be the insipration of how i would like mine to turn out tbh...

I really have looked long and hard at them and in Elegance spec there is only 2 things i dislike tbh, the wood dash trim (easily swapped) and the 4 spoke steering wheel (maybe not so easy or cheap to swap), but i dont like them in Golfs or Boras either, not exactly a nightmare to sort out though, i LOVE them!

A Superb will not appeal to everyone mate, but at the end of the day, you are the one driving it and where else can you get a long wheelbase VW Passat with ALL the options and a proven engine package for the money you'll pay! [:D]

Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funy enough Steve, those are my 2 dislikes....4 spoke wheel and bright wood. In fairness, as you said, its not exactly the end of the world...and they are things i could live with...LOL.

Im sure the Highline computer...bora vents, climate control, umbrella....(still going)...will cheer me up!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've had 2 Skodas - a Fabia vRS and an Octavia vRS

I couldnt give a toss about badges/image etc etc - as you say they are amazing value and a very very good car - a high spec slightly longer Passat in fact

Just investigate residuals first - I probably wouldnt buy one under 2 years old!

You been here yet? http://www.briskoda.net/forums/f133-superb.html

Also, if you want toys, comfort, power etc, check out a Volvo S60 D5 SE - 163bhp 5 cyl, dolby surround sound, very safe etc etc [;)]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I reckon go for the skoda as its what you want. [y]

P.S. If you sell your R-line bumpers pm me as I've only just joined the modding game [:D]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going for the Skoda, for the MANY reasons mentioned above. That menas virtually EVERY modified part of my car is now up for grabs. I have placed an advert in the Forum, and all will be explained once it is approved.

That includes the bumpers too....

Update...within 5 mins of deciding to sell parts, ive already sold 3 items!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good choice mate,i am very much of the same mindset as you,comfort and economy are more important as you grow up,and a badge makes no differance atall really,but if i were you,i would go for the black,but with a cream/beige leather,as my last car was an Audi A6 in this colour combo,and it looked stunning,and is just as easy to keep clean,especially if you look after your car.

I would also put some 19's on aswell though,as the wheel size,especially on a big car really makes a huge differance!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm, do adverts need authorisation? I think so I asked on another post.

Whats the cost of these Superbs? Im enjoying the comments here, its
opening my eyes. I never knew the Skoda was so well equipped! Keep them
coming!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just realised this terminal (my old pc) was logged in as VWBuggy. Its
some utter moron from work called Martin who has done this. It doesnt
help with the fact that he had access to all of my bookmarks. Im am so
sorry guys. Hes the sort of idiot who takes the mickey out of anything
"cyber" and thinks forums are a waste of time. Mind you, this guy
drives a Fiat Punto on a G Plate, so I cant imagine he has much call
for a place like this.

Just deleted ALL of my bookmarks (and a few of his), for good measure.

Anyway.. what i was going to type was...

Thanks for all the comments guys, keep them coming. I like to hear all
opinions. Im going to get a Black Magic Pearl Superb Elegance 1.9td
130bhp with Black Nappa Leather. I just collected a new price list this
morning and found that they have added privacy glass to the small list
of options! Yay! Thus the onlty option I thing I will go for is Privacy
glass (B-pillar back). As for mods, Im going to get it revo'd after a
few thousand miles (got to allow the thing to loosen up first!), and I
*may* get some larger wheels. However I would like to think id enjoy
the 17" ride quality, as I am sure I wont miss the harsh ride of the
GTI and my GTO (which is also for sale - shameless plug). [;)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Fiat Punto on a G Plate, . [;)]
No he doesn't, that would be an Uno [:)] 94 L reg onwards for Puntos

We need a pic of Baker 21s Superb, Im sure hes got a testy set of Audi wheels which really set it off

1 - 20 of 70 Posts