Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Scanky or legal?" description="After my endevors over the past couple of days to rebuild my PC and get my ligitiment copy of XP Media Centre Edition back after upgrading hardware I just wondered how many people have genuine copies of OS's? I found after a few minutes on Google a non genuine OS can easly be upgraded with all components! Even with the validation tool that is now used buy some companies.

Mods I dont know if you'll alow this post but if you scan the IT forums their everywhere! and I've made no comparison to brands in the answers.

G."><a>Software should be free! and Bill and his cronies make enough cash!</a>Naaa I like to pay my way... I'd hate to see MS down to their last billion!<c>I have used copies but registered them as soon as pay day came!</c></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
What about an option for cheaper? I don't think it should be free, but cheaper.
I agree. I paid ?179.99 for a full copy of xp back in sept 04. Never again. A complete rip off, it's never un stabley (sp ?), if it was anything else i'd have asked for a refund. I'll be buying a mac next I think.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Could it be your hardware Dan? I've run 98 Second Edition for six years straight without a single reinstall [Y]

Been close a few times though [:D]

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've spent '000s on MS DOS, Win95, Win 98, Win 98SE, Millenium and XP... so I figure XP MCE2005 is on Bill.... Come on, even Subway gives you a free Sub if you collect enough vouchers [;)]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The software should be a lot lot cheaper. It makes business sense. It's sold a lot cheaper to Dell etc just because they buy so many copies. So it would make sense for it to be cheaper in the shops, it would then sell more copies.

My gripe though isn't so much with windows, its office. Try and buy the full package. It kills a small business. 4 computers and you have spent 2k. Hence why there is so much piracy.

The NHS recently paid 19 million squids for a blanket licence. Theres more than 19 million PC's in the NHS, a lot more, so works out maybe 30-50p per machine. However, thats 19 million quid just given to bill and his lot, JUST from the NHS. They are going to have to pay up again soon, believe it was only for 3 years. 19 million of the NHS's money just to microsoft. Terrible! Bill already has a personal wealth of over 26 billion, or is it 260 billion? Know its got 26 in it! Richest man in the world.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Could it be your hardware Dan? I've run 98 Second Edition for six years straight without a single reinstall [Y]

Been close a few times though [:D]
I do wonder. I might try buying another stick of ram soon as I seem to get lots of blue screens with memory addresses and "beginning dump of physical memory" etc etc. Yesterday it stalled on boot up three times in a row ! right got on my boobs in the end and just ended up doing a defrag (been meaning too for a while now..) Will see what it's like this weekend.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hehe, a defrag will solve all those problems dan [:D][:p]

Sorry, couldn't help but take the pee out of yoru innocence there! [:$]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Those sorts of errors are defo not due to the OS as a product being inherently unstable dude, it sounds like mainly hardware, and possible software corruption (maybe as a result of hardware fault).

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think software should be cheaper.. say ?50 for windows 90-100 for office??

I however just got MS Windows XP Professional Full version for ?9

Its a ligit copy direct from Microsoft.. My uni is part of Microsofts Academic Alliance so i am entitled to free and cheap sometimes free ligit software [H]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Not having the richest background in my earlier years, and mum nearly breaking us getting me the first PC so I could learn (god bless her!) , the only thing that I ever used to have that was genuine was the OEM copy of the OS on the machine. Things have changed now, but it doesn't always mean the software scenario in my house has (!)

FAR too expensive - I'd have take nthe "make it cheaper and I'll seriously contemplate it" option [:)]

C

·
Registered
472 Posts
If your buying Office or XP OS get an OEM Version as long as you buy a qualifying piece of hardware e.g. New Hard Disk or Ram Upgrade or Motherboard+CPU
This is a legal way to obtain what you need for less but remember the hardware you buy the OEM Licence with should be with the PC until it dies.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
just need to know what your looking for on the net..... at the end of
the day Bill wants his products pirated by domestic users.... thats why
his software is so popular..... at the end of the day its easier to
obtain and install XP for free than it is to install say Redhat or
Slackware Linux.......

If Microsoft had wanted and I mean really wanted to stop piracy they
could have done it years ago with telephone registration and hardware
keys/dongles........ the fact is they dont, evetyone can now use there
pcs... so what do big corporations installl, yep thats right what the
employees can already use without extra training...... Thats when
Microsoft makes its money of licensing, IE the NHS, they could have
Linux for free, or Solaris for not much more, but the cost of training
would be too high, that is why OEM domestic builder pay naff all for
licenses and it is easily piratable.

PS

I have never purchased any microsoft software for home use...... I was always gifted the license by an employer in said PC

PS do you guys who rigidly believe in paying all microsft License,
believe if you replace XP home with Pro you should buy a new license?

And do you think Micrsofts Press offcie would allow Microsoft legal
Department to Sue a Private individual for Pirate Useage? HMMM
didnt think so, the press would never ever be worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts