Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Mud Flaps" description="Mud Flaps Do You Have Them "><a>Are They Good</a>Are They Bad <c>Do You Have Them </c><d>Would You Fit Them </d></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
LOL!

Don't have them, but would consider fitting. Not really on the list right now, but nicely fitted ones look good.
I have them, but they are not on my car, they are in the garage...

I only have them as I got them free with the car..... I don't think Mud Flaps work on a lowered car or a car with big alloys, so I would say loose them Jason (Nosaj), especially on your car with 19 x 9 alloys.... take them off.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This POLL doesnt make sense

the questions is do you have them

the answers...do you have them

The answers to the POLL are questions

What school did you go too

GAY!!
ok friggin mr oh so clever

my first poll so there [:p]

yer askin a ? whats wrong with it then

and no i didnt go to gay school did u as you know about gay schools [:p] lol

give it a while and im sure dan19 will be along to have a moan how ive worded it lmfao

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Im sure this was discussed a while ago and the general thing was that they were NOT good.

Someone posted up pics of before and after having them fitted and it changed alot of persons opinions to "Good".

I think they look good on a stock car, not necessarily lowered, and with stock 15" or 16" alloys. They make the rear look wider and appear lower.

On a lowered car with huge alloys, It may have the opposite effect.

Dont think you can get the ones with the VW logo on in white anymore for the golf 4, just plain black.

I have not got lowered suspension, and I have 15" avus 2's. I also have rear plain black mudflaps. Im well happy with them.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Has 'em and then junked them, well the rears anyway.

Fronts are quite subtle and really do stop lots of scut splatting up along the side of your car, in particular those annoying stone chips you get on the front of the rear wheelarch.

If you havn't got fronts, consider them alone for the winter only and then take them off for summer.

Rears = pointless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
factory fitted to my PD150 from new - might not be the coolest looking things, but boy do they stop the bottom of the front doors/rear bumper area getting shotblasted by roadgrit/mud/tar/etc.

they get my vote

regards - TB

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Rears = pointless.
Erm - No.

Have you thought about why Lorries and Buses have great big curtain mud flaps? Yes, to stop debris coming up from under it and striking the vehicle behind resulting in less chance of damage or injury.

As a biker, I think mud flaps should be standard fit on every car bus lorry van etc and that a car should fail an MOT without them. Cars throw up a lot of debris in their wake just as bigger vehicles do. To a biker, flying stones are potentially lethal and these can be minimised by mud flaps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rears = pointless.
Erm - No.

Have you thought about why Lorries and Buses have great big curtain
mud flaps? Yes, to stop debris coming up from under it and striking the
vehicle behind resulting in less chance of damage or injury.

As a biker, I think mud flaps should be standard fit on every car
bus lorry van etc and that a car should fail an MOT without them. Cars
throw up a lot of debris in their wake just as bigger vehicles do. To a
biker, flying stones are potentially lethal and these can be minimised
by mud flaps.
Just curious, what is it about them that make them dangerous - is it
the risk of striking the biker or the bike (wheels etc)? It never
actually occured to me that this was a potential hazard until you
pointed it out.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Rears = pointless.
Erm - No.

Have you thought about why Lorries and Buses have great big curtain mud flaps? Yes, to stop debris coming up from under it and striking the vehicle behind resulting in less chance of damage or injury.

As a biker, I think mud flaps should be standard fit on every car bus lorry van etc and that a car should fail an MOT without them. Cars throw up a lot of debris in their wake just as bigger vehicles do. To a biker, flying stones are potentially lethal and these can be minimised by mud flaps.
Just curious, what is it about them that make them dangerous - is it the risk of striking the biker or the bike (wheels etc)? It never actually occured to me that this was a potential hazard until you pointed it out.
Being hit by a stone at 120mph (the difference between a stone flicked up by a car going another way at 60mph and the bike going 60mph) is going to hurt no matter where it hits and regardless of safety gear bikers wear. If it hit the bikers visor, there is a fair chance it could go through and blind the rider resulting in an accident.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
But all the dangers posed to bikers are outweighed by the thrill of the ride. There are not many cars with stats like a superbike available and those that are most likely cost an absolute fortune one way or another.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts