Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Mac or PC what do you use?" description="Just wondered what people are using? not sure if its been done before... reason being a friend of mine has recently bought a Mac and hes turned from rational sane person into confrontational, elitist computer snob..."I've bought a mac! pc sux, its just a cestpit in the windows world" huh? [email protected]! you've always used pc's??!?
I admit Macs look good and still get that "oooh" factor when people see them but High end PC's whallop them in number crunching, ease and cost of repair and upgrading according to alot benchmarking, including the Gadget show."><a>Mac - pc's are noisey and ugly!</a>PC - get your mac! my PC will whoop ass it!</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I know quite a few otherwise rational people that lose sight of reality when it comes to computers and Macs! I once tried to explain to a very good tech (**** hot with electronics and quite competent with networking and computing in general) about how the PCI system architecture worked, and he insisted, "No, the Mac concept is different" Er, no it's not. CPU > north bridge > PCI > south bridge > peripheral devices. What else ya got in there: PC memory, PC hard disks, PC expansion cards, AGP graphics... As with all PCI systems of the time. Then Apple had the idea of bypassing the PCI bus altogether for the "north" and "south" bridge with a high speed interconnect. Oh, didn't Via already do that with V-Link and Intel with MCH? [;)] Integrating high speed I/O into one of the system controller chips instead of straddling them on the PCI bus is also not a Mac exclusive or breakthrough. Intel's CSA Gigabit Ethernet is a great example, it outperforms Gigabit cards plugged into the PCI bus because it has a direct, AGP-style high bandwidth port into the core of the system.

Still love Apple's industrial design, just don't buy the marketing.

(puts on flak suit and runs...)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know quite a few otherwise rational people that lose sight of reality when it comes to computers and Macs! I once tried to explain to a very good tech (**** hot with electronics and quite competent with networking and computing in general) about how the PCI system architecture worked, and he insisted, "No, the Mac concept is different" Er, no it's not. CPU > north bridge > PCI > south bridge > peripheral devices. What else ya got in there: PC memory, PC hard disks, PC expansion cards, AGP graphics... As with all PCI systems of the time. Then Apple had the idea of bypassing the PCI bus altogether for the "north" and "south" bridge with a high speed interconnect. Oh, didn't Via already do that with V-Link and Intel with MCH? [;)] Integrating high speed I/O into one of the system controller chips instead of straddling them on the PCI bus is also not a Mac exclusive or breakthrough. Intel's CSA Gigabit Ethernet is a great example, it outperforms Gigabit cards plugged into the PCI bus because it has a direct, AGP-style high bandwidth port into the core of the system.
Sorry, what language is that in? is there an online translator available?

p.s I'm a Mac user at home and pc at work - have to say I prefer the Mac.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use both Mac's and PC's and will happily use either, but the Mac is much nicer to use and the OS is much more efficiently written.  PC's are great, but they are let down by Windows, which, lets face it, isn't that great, perhaps Vista will be a big improvement though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My job is to support Windows but I also do some Mac support too, and the Mac OS is far more stable and pleasant to use. We even run Mac OS8 which is far more stable than XP.

I much much prefer Mac to PC and use both at home too. If you want to remove a program from a Mac, just drag it to the Trash, empty it and voila, it's all gone. PC, add/remove and more than likely restart too along with plenty of reg keys left behind unless it's in msi format.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I think your poll needs opening up.  I use PC's (a lot of them).  However, I dont use them because they are better than Mac's but because they are the industry standard and every company I have worked for is based around PC's. Bit like the old Betamax v VHS.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm a PC user desperately trying to scrape the cash together for a half decent Mac as i'm just bored of Windows and love the direction that Apple is taking with its OS, etc. Not only that but I get education discount on all their stuff and it makes for some serious discounts.. Aperture I can get for ?120 - normall RRP is 3x that price!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
No doubt a mac can do a lot of things, itd be great for my photography but in the end you find it hard to pirate software for it and thats why pcs are more popular

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is it me or are all mac users vegeterian and vote Liberal?

I'm a PC user.
just a stereotype really - like the one that all pc users have as much style as a volvo estate and are like sheep following the Bill Gates juggernaut......just stereotypes!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
For me its the mac that wins hands down every time. I use PCs on a regular basis but the y just dont come up to the macs standard in my opinion. Had my mac two years now and its still as quick as when i first got it unlike my old pc that got slower as time went on ! My next upgrade will definatly be another mac. And as they say ...... Once you've had mac you never go back ! LOL.
Oh and for the record Carlos i love a good steak LOL !!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Windows for me most of the time, but I also use a lot of
unix/linux/freebsd as well, to be honest I have not used mac that much, I would
love to get an old mac one day and just have a play.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ive got an ibook and must say that I love it. I got it about a year ago now and it hasnt crashed ever!, unlike our home PC which manages to crash randomly! I use PCs at work, but definitely prefer macs now, a lot easier and fun to use.

And I love meat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No doubt a mac can do a lot of things, itd be great for my photography but in the end you find it hard to pirate software for it and thats why pcs are more popular
There is plenty of dodgy software out for the Mac. I thought the same when I bought mine but I have been able to find anything I want.

I bought my first Mac in November last year, I was over the moon with it. A week after I recieved it Apple released an updated version with a bigger processor and some extra bits of hardware. I was a little gutted but thats the way it goes I suppose. I got home that night read my emails and Apple had emailed me to tell me that I could return my old Mac and that they would send me a new version free of charge plus 50 free itunes for the inconvinience, if I wanted.

Customer service like that is enough for me to never buy a PC again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That is fantastic service. I've had an ibook G4 800 (12 inch) for about
two and a half years and I love it. It's very light, almost silent,
looks fantastic (even though it is the most basic entry level laptop
they do), is really simple and straightforward to use and has a really
good battery life (which is now getting worse after literally daily use
- now about 3.5 from a full charge). Downsides are mainly with
compatability issues, internet browsing sometimes can be a bit annoying
as not all things work. There is usually a way round 99% of the time.
It is not a great gaming machine as well imo but for almost everything
else it is a joy to use. I have a desktop pc and have had them for
years and they have their advantages but I would recommend a mac to
anyone but a hardened gamer.

·
Registered
942 Posts
uzi_9 I agree with that totally.

My GF is a graphic designer and she uses a PC daily at work. When I said I'd get her a Mac to work from home on she jumped on it, as she'd used one at college and it makes doing the job 100% simpler. Liz uses Adobe CS and Quark and she much prefers the Mac.

I think a lot of PC users are narrow minded, and should at least try Linux as they will see a big difference. Windows isn't the be all and end all. I have years of experience with Windows, but it took me about a week to prefer Mac. Only the best PC games are released on the Mac platform, that's why there are so few games [;)]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
uzi_9 I agree with that totally.

My GF is a graphic designer and she uses a PC daily at work. When I said I'd get her a Mac to work from home on she jumped on it, as she'd used one at college and it makes doing the job 100% simpler. Liz uses Adobe CS and Quark and she much prefers the Mac.

I think a lot of PC users are narrow minded, and should at least try Linux as they will see a big difference. Windows isn't the be all and end all. I have years of experience with Windows, but it took me about a week to prefer Mac. Only the best PC games are released on the Mac platform, that's why there are so few games [;)]
Yes but these types of software have been optomised for macs! they would be better on a mac... I think its the old skiier/snowboarder argument.... I personally prefer PC's... I can get bits for it almost anywhere and even the new macs are Intel based.. I have a quite old P4 over clocked to 2.8ghz 1.7gig of ram and I bought a 256mb Nvidia 6600gt for it (so I could play FEAR)... it runs a ligit copy of XP MCE and it never crashes! and for a 5 year old pc theres not a game/app or anything it really struggles with....

Hmmm wheres the Half Life 2 port for mac if only the best games come out on macs? [:p]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts