Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Help me decide" description="I have got a little bit of money saved up and wanna add soemthing to the car,

Should i go for the MFD2 or a new set of wheels, Eventually i want both but i can only afford one atm

The wheels would probs be the new Exis wheels direct from VW, they are 17inch and are wrapped in egal F1s, Any other suggestion on wheels? I would like to keep it oem looking tho, ie be able to put the dub badge on the centre caps

Another thing is the price of the MFD2 likely to come down as the golf and new passat become more popular??

Thanks
Chris"><a>Wheels</a>MFD2</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is MFD2 satnav Chris?

I know it looks cool but unless you need it you may not use it much.

Another option for the money would be to go on a nice holiday or give it to me [:p]

I'll vote wheels. Remember you can sell your's on here or on Ebay. There were a set of standard SE Misano wheels/tyres on Ebay recently that sold for >?300.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is MFD2 satnav Chris?

I know it looks cool but unless you need it you may not use it much.

Another option for the money would be to go on a nice holiday or give it to me [:p]

I'll vote wheels. Remeber you can sell your's on here or on Ebay. There were a set like our's on Ebay recently that sold for >?300.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I voted for MFD2 rather than wheels as its more practical/useful.

However, doesn't the new Passat have a DVD based system? Wouldn't you rather wait for that one? Someone mentioned on the forum a few months back that Tom at Satnavsystems was willing to do us a deal of ebay prices (?750) minus 5% for the CD based MFD2 - I would guess that the DVD system would probably cost the same when it supercedes CD ones (IMHO)....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes MFD2 is sat nav, It will get used about 2-3 times a month, as i am always down 2 london etc and if i get down there and me and the girly decide to go out somewhere, we normally get lost lol, I have an old ipaq with GPS reciever that my dad used to use b4 he changed jobs and its ok, but takes 10mins 2 pick up a sat, the maps are out of date (i know that can be easily solved) but i like the idea of been able to get in the car and navigate straight away, and not having to sit outside the house waiting for a sat aquisition.

Didnt know that the passat system was DVD based... that throws a spanner in the works abit

Edit - Just looked on vw.co.uk and the system looks to be cd based by the tiny info on it available,

I also didnt think the 15inch wheels would go for that much money, i was expecting 50-100quid if i was lucky

Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
you know you want the wheels! go for it! I saw a demo at the local dealership today exis wheels and votex body kit on a black sport looked the business. good luck

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wheels!  If you also want sat nav buy a little TomTom G0 300. Its as good as a fitted unit but not tied to the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
for 600 squidders, can't you go larger than 17s ?. Is that nearly 18's money ?  I have the MFD2 installed - if you get one, make sure you get the TMC enabled disc if you need traffic updates- its ?60 more than the non-enabled one from teleatlas.com . I have just convinced my dealer to swap my non-enabled one for the enabled one at no extra cost. Prior to this, I had TT3 in the car which I found excellent - and you can overlay software to add speed camera locations, or MacD's, or burger king, or strip joints if you really want !! This list is endless !

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for 600 squidders, can't you go larger than 17s ?. Is that nearly 18's money ? I have the MFD2 installed - if you get one, make sure you get the TMC enabled disc if you need traffic updates- its ?60 more than the non-enabled one from teleatlas.com . I have just convinced my dealer to swap my non-enabled one for the enabled one at no extra cost. Prior to this, I had TT3 in the car which I found excellent - and you can overlay software to add speed camera locations, or MacD's, or burger king, or strip joints if you really want !! This list is endless !
I dont really want 18s to be honest, mainly because of tyre price and my mum drives my car and shes already told me i am stupid if i get the wheels as she will more than likely curb them [:'(]

Dont u need a TMC box which is sperate or is tmc built in2 the unit now?? As the MFD will be a retro fit by me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts