Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Golf MKV or Audi A3" description="I've been looking at getting a new car for a while now....did have my heart set on a new golf, just for the fact that it's a golf really because i'm not to keen on the new shape....then i see a few new audi a3's driving about and love the shape of that....so it's got me asking the question, Golf MKV or new Audi A3 ?"><a>Golf MK5</a>New Audi A3</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i wanted to stick to golfs...i don't find it that bad, just the audi a3 looks better....so wondered what you lot thought..

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I'm a VW fan but I'm just not convinced yet by the mkV. I think the Audis have a much nicer interior but each to thier own...

I voted A3 but I may be a tad biased...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see what i mean, the A3 looks stunning! [Y]

that being said, we had a MKV R32 at work the other day and i had a good poke around it, looked fantastic!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Depends on the model; imo lower spec MKVs look awful with thin tyres and black bumper strips. But GT and GTI look better than A3.  I'm not keen on shape of MKV(still think MKIV looks better) but not sure about A3 either. A mate runs an A3 2.0T DSG Sport; nice interior but the ride is appalling; I hate to think what an S-line is like.(Even he admits ride is poor) I also think that A3s are overpriced as they skimp on equipment; his car cost @?21K and you have to pay extra for an interior light pack? 

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I think Matt's got a very similar view to me. The bog standard bottom end mk5's in my very humble and small opinion (so everyone who's got one doesn't try and lynch me!) are not to my taste looks wise at all - they strike me as a cross between a Corolla and a 307 [n] Get up the range, esp to the GTI, and it's much less noticeable (too many other distractions i suspect [;)])

Having seen several new A3s, I'm not so sure about them either from the outside. Not convinced about the rear end at all. I have been in one though, and they are soddin nice although as Matt said, I've had better ride qualities from such a nice motor before now! ... But for now, I'm sticking with my GTI [:D]

C

PS - so that means Golf V ok? [;)]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I voted A3 as I'm looking at replacing my MKIV GT TDI 110 with a 2.0 TDI A3

I've been for a ride in both the 2.0 GT TDI Golf and the A3 TDI and yes, the A3 is more money but you can see where that money has gone! Excellent fit and finish.

I didn't like the dash on the MKI A3 but do on the MKII A3. I liked the dash on the MKIV Golf but not warmed to the dash on the MKV yet

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree on what some ppl are saying, Matt 747 on the price of an A3. But also dissagree, -strongly!. One of my mates just got 06 A3 last week, 5 door, S-Line Pack, with Half Leather, 18's etc, Bose, Center arm rest all for 19.5K, Try to buy a Vw Golf with that spec and i thinks its more???

Bargin i think

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
A mate runs an A3 2.0T DSG Sport; nice interior but the ride is appalling; I hate to think what an S-line is like.(Even he admits ride is poor) I also think that A3s are overpriced as they skimp on equipment; his car cost @?21K and you have to pay extra for an interior light pack?
The rides fine in the S-line although I have the later 2005 build and they did change the suspension on that. The fact Claire doesn't complain about the ride in mine proves that it's comfortable.

Cost wise can't really argue you do have to pay [:(] my S-line with DSG and chosen options was ?25,300 list although I did get a decent discount on that which meant it was reasonably(ish) priced. Value for money I don't think it's too bad compared to everything else that is available.

I'm not convinced by the mkV yet although it is growing on me but the interior of the Audi is a million miles better than the golf IMHO.

J

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm currently looking for one of these. preferably a tdi s-line, what should I be looking out for.

I notice that theres no tdi sports below 15k at the moment.

Also I heard that they were still quite noisy, is this true ?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Not a lot really they are pretty well built, if you check the tyres and they look worn on the inside don't panic they seem to run a bit of camber on the sport and s-line models.

Noise wise you'll know it is a diesel on start up but they are too bad once warm.

They must be quite good as I have a habit of changing my cars quite often and I've kept this one for a year so far and have just spent a few quid on it getting it remapped, new rims and new DSG paddles and plan to keep for at least another [:D]

Any other questions give us a shout.

J.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts