Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Firewalls" description="After reading anothe topic about Anti-virus software I was just wondering what you just sit behind..."><a>Hardware Firewall</a>Software Firewall<c>Both</c><d>Whats a firewall?</d></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Router with Netbios filters on it.

Then a FreeBSD hardware firewall,

Then Windows 2xxx box that does NAT and more firewalling.

The BSD and Doze get used for various testing stuff as well, so have to be a tad careful [;)]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Just the windows XP firewall at the moment. I re-formatted my PC the other day, which is why I started the AV topic, I didnt want to install Norton again for it to slow the machine up as after my format, my computer is running 110% faster!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Kerio personal firewall, XP firewall disabled.

whos going to start the "what spyware checker do you use thread??" [;)]

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just the windows XP firewall at the moment. I re-formatted my PC the other day, which is why I started the AV topic, I didnt want to install Norton again for it to slow the machine up as after my format, my computer is running 110% faster!
come on man thats as good as no firewall.

zonealarm free would suit u sir :)

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
My Netgear router has a built in firewall, I don't think its enabled though? I don't use any Anti-virus software either, and touch wood - I haven't had a single problem with my pc in the 2 1/2 years i've owned the machine and I do download alot of stuff[:O]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My Netgear router has a built in firewall, I don't think its enabled though? I don't use any Anti-virus software either, and touch wood - I haven't had a single problem with my pc in the 2 1/2 years i've owned the machine and I do download alot of stuff[:O]
you saying you run your pc on the internet with no protection whatsoever?

If that is the case I would have thought your pc will be riddled with spyware etc

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
you saying you run your pc on the internet with no protection whatsoever?

If that is the case I would have thought your pc will be riddled with spyware etc
Yep[:$][:$]

I think i'll download AVG tonight and perhaps a spyware program, then see whats on the computer[:S]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Built in firewall on the router and use Segate software Firewall. very good. I have been using this for a good few years now. along with avg, McAfee and TDS (bloody strong) anti trojan software and Spybot - makes for a 99% safe PC. I have never had problems as yet! - now watch me get a virus now[:|]

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
just at the weekend there I was rebuilding my sister in laws pc, no firewall software and no antivirus software, installed avg and ran a scan to find over 3000 viruses. Now this pc hasn't been on the internet for about a year and was running windows 98. No wonder it was running slow

Have a read of this article

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/security/story/0,14230,1366683,00.html
Interesting article.

TBH I suppose i've been a bit naive. My pc doesn't seem any slower than it was 3 years ago (although it may have gradually slowed down over a period and I haven't noticed it) and I never get malicious or spam emails and i've (think) never had a nasty virus (one thats messed up my internet).

Will install AVG tonight and run a scan and check out the firewall on the Netgear router[:$]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
If it's a case of:

Internet <===> Your router <==ethernet==> Your computer(s)

You should be OK from the usual hack exploits - just need some AV running on there 24/7 to make sure you don't click on anything or download any.

Your home PC probably has a network address (IP) that starts 192.168 - which means (if this is the case) your router translates all your connections outbound - and only lets connections back in that you requested outbound anyway (by default).

In effect, it does firewall automatically.

C

·
Registered
377 Posts
No jam jar? I'm disappointed!!

Anyway, what the hell is a honey pot (apart from the obvious)?
hehe

In computer terminology, a honeypot is a trap set to detect, deflect or in some manner counteract attempts at unauthorized use of information systems. Generally it consists of a computer, data or a network site that appears to be part of a network but which is actually isolated and protected, and which seems to contain information or a resource that would be of value to attackers.

take from wikipedia.org to save my typing it lol...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts