Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Drying Methods......" description="Which is our weapon of choice?

Give us link to your favs, prices, and reasons for use. As in why that one over all the other choices?

I'm asking as i currently have a megs water magent drying towel.....its "ok".....but jesus, once its wet, it RUBBISH!"><a>Chamois</a>Synthetic Chamois<c>Silicone Blade</c><d>Drying towel (waffle weave)</d><e>Drying towel (terry type)</e><f>Microfibre towel</f><g>AG Rinse agent + other</g><h>Combination of the above.....if so...tell us!</h></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
For me its ::::::::

Wash with Sonax Gloss Shampoo

Rinse with water

Spray with AG Autogloss Rinse

Rinse off with water

Blade off any remaining water, wiping the blade on each pass with a P21S Drying Towel

Then stand back & Admire [Y]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Still working through the AG bag so hence all that stuff in use, and I'm no pro like some of you lot (Jace et al [;)])

Rinse using pressure washer (high pre) - get worst of the crud off
Wash with AG Bodywork Shampoo/Conditioner
Rise with water (pressure washer but on low pressure ironically)
Spray with AG Autogloss Rinse
Rinse with open ended hose
Depending on what's less, either the blade or a leather (normally the former though as there's not much left)

C

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
A combination for me.

I've always used a real chamois and don't think there is much out there that will beat it. As I got a silicone blade for Christmas I am also using that at the moment to remove the majority of water from the roof and bonnet but don't see its much use anywhere else.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the water that collects in the lower grill cut-outs on the front bumper? I dry the car and there is always a mini puddle collects in the corner of these recesses just waiting to spoil my wax application! I have tried soaking it up with a bit of tissue but it never totally disappears.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have returned to use :

Blade ,very carefully and wipe with cloth after every pass,this removes most water and then Pakshak Waffle Weave Towel --I need 2 towels for my Golf and that works ok.

The only downside is that lint is sometimes left so I have to then buff quickly to remove before I wax or polish apply.

I may consider the P21S dryer though anything that is quick and safe and leaves no residue water.

Drying of course also is determined by the shampoo you use and also the type and layer of wax you have applied.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Blade and microfibre cloth.

To all those using chamois either genuine or synthetic, I to used them for years. But you've got to try microfibre cloths, you will not look back. Why heck, if I was Victor Kiam and had enough cash, I'd buy the company !

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Use a blade on as much as possible, and finish the rest off with an mf.
so what are these blade things - i have never hear of or seen them before - are the worth investing in - especially for a black car left drying in the sun???

thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Use a blade on as much as possible, and finish the rest off with an mf.
so what are these blade things - i have never hear of or seen them before - are the worth investing in - especially for a black car left drying in the sun???
I bought one of these recently clicky - and although I'm still getting used to it it seems to have speeded up drying no end. Still need something like a microfibre or chamois to finish off (to get in all the nooks and crannies) but using the blade gets rid of the majority so your cloth doesn't get soaked instantly.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i may buy one then

cause i normally end up with about 9 cloths dry the car cause they get so wet straight away afer hoseing down

it guessin this blade is car friendly - not like quite a window wiping blade lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeh, it's very flexible and I haven't found that it has scratched at all. I follow Jace's tip (cheers!) of wiping the blade with a cloth after each pass so if there is any grit left after the wash it doesn't get trapped and scratch.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I was well impressed with my fancy blade till alot of people who's advice i trust entirely told me to stick to waffle weaves for drying as any dirt etc will get caught up in the weave and there's less chance of scratching the paint.

If your waxed up to the hilt drying is a joy anyway [:p]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Does anyone else get annoyed by the water that collects in the lower grill cut-outs on the front bumper? I dry the car and there is always a mini puddle collects in the corner of these recesses just waiting to spoil my wax application! I have tried soaking it up with a bit of tissue but it never totally disappears.
No, but the dribble of water from the corner of the rear windows really does do my nut in[:mad:]

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
No, but the dribble of water from the corner of the rear windows really does do my nut in[:mad:]
Ah, well you are lucky you have an R32 bumper (well whole R32 come to think about it) and I must be lucky to have a 5dr cos I don't get that problem!

Can't it be removed with a short sharp blow? Works a treat for getting the water out from behind the mirror bases

1 - 20 of 42 Posts