Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Do you use plastic headlamp protectors???" description="Simple one really: yes or no. I'm asking the question as I've just bust one of mine trying to take it off to clean it.
Shoould I replace it or not??"><a>Yes</a>No</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Never heard of stories about headlights getting damaged, so IMHO protectors are useless.
It happens as could potentially save a lot of money and hassle.

I wouldnt attempt driving on a motorway or NSL carriageway without protectors.

·
Banned
774 Posts
When I had my Anniversary I went through 2 sets of headlight protectors and no headlights. I reckon I'd have needed to replace the headlights if the protectors hadn't been on. Stone chips thrown up from other vehicles totally shattered the protectors so job done I reckon.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'll be buying some when i get some Xenons, it's a must then, but not going to bother until then, i'll take my chances in the meantime!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi guys,a quick tip for those who use headlight protectors....apply a little bit of grease/vaseline to the little rubber 'feet' on the headlight side of the protector. This helps to prevent them from sticking to the glass,and snapping in half when you take them off for cleaning. This happened a couple of times when i used to work for the dealer,and after greasing them up,i never came accross the problem again. Hope this helps. Cheers,Paul.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Never heard of stories about headlights getting damaged, so IMHO protectors are useless.
It does happen! Once I just noticed in a petrol station that all the glass was smashed out of my headlight! Must have been a stone thrown up!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'll be buying some when i get some Xenons,
it's a must then, but not going to bother until then, i'll
take my chances in the meantime!
OEM Xenons? Personally I'd stick with your Anni(versary) lights and fit a good aftermarket HID kit.

It would be a shame to lose the black backed headlights which go so well with your current theme[Y]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what side have you bust

may be able to help you out
Lee, I've broken the drivers side. If you have a spare I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.

Interesting. Cheers for the response guys. I remember seeing a thread that Wayne Gibson posted about drilling a small hole at the bottom and using a bent bit of wire as a hook to help prise them off. Might try it on the next lot.

Also, I'll try the vaseline tip[:$]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely recommend using them although they do look a bit naff. Trouble is to replace a broken headlamp I believe the whole bumper assembly needs taking off (am I right?) so dealers would charge a bomb in labour to do all this.

Sean

·
Registered
857 Posts
fitted my anni lights yesterday and am now thinking about getting these, where do i get them from n how much are they...and are they easy to fit? [:)]

thanks, Matt [:)]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I replace mine I'll just go straight to the dealer for a set (& maybe chance my arm for a discount). I think they are about ?20 a pair. They come with instructions and are well easy to fit. There is a black clip that hooks on at the top and then they just press fit under the bottom lip of the light. Make sure you use the plastic strip (supplied) to protect your bumper as you slide them on!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Just snapped the passanger side headlight guard yesterday taking it off. It had already got a nasty "star" where it has done it's job over the winter however this had nothing to do with me snapping it. Off to dealers for another pair today. Bah.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Only just done my gora conversion on my bora and within two days a stone has gone through the lense...typical, i had no idea it had happened untill i was cleaning the car...so yep well worth the bucks, especially if you have xennons as you cant replace the glass lense can you

1 - 20 of 42 Posts