Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="Caliper colour" description="I am looking at painting the brake calipers. My car is Reflex Silver so was thinking of painting them silver to match.But I do like the red ones I've seen, and also blue ones too. So which would you recommend?"><a>Red calipers</a>Blue calipers<c>Silver calipers</c><d>Other colour?</d></VoteOptions>

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My interior is standard apart from the head unit which is black with chrome. It lights up blue and red, so that doesn't really help either!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are black and white,the 'sports' seats that they put in the gt tdi's. Not recaros unfortunately!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
red every time get some japlac signal red from b&q much better than caliper paint lasts for years

i have been using it for over 10 years with great results

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Also running a reflex silver tdi and have done mine satin black.

Silver cars always look much much better two tone, black / silver, any colour ruins the effect in my opinion.

So I'd say Black (biased) or Silver are the only choices for your calipers.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Also running a reflex silver tdi and have done mine satin black.

Silver cars always look much much better two tone, black / silver, any colour ruins the effect in my opinion.

So I'd say Black (biased) or Silver are the only choices for your calipers.
Got any pics mate? I've got a box of black caliper paint, pretty much made up my mind but would be nice to see how it looks on a silver car because I've recently considered another colour.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
No pics as yet, but i'll take one tomorrow and post it.

Rumour has it that black is also good for radiating unwanted heat away as well as looking rather lovely...

err... No it doesn't otherwise 'house' radiators would not be white !

Who started that rumour ?

Physics Boffs..... "Rumour has it thatt black is also good for radiating unwanted heat away.", DISCUSS.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I would rather think house radiators are white for cosmetic reasons, and yes I've heard about the radiating heat thing as well. I've read up about it and only sort-of understand, but I always remember from years ago (10 year old kid) when I was heavily interested in military aircraft, that one of the reasons the Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird" recon aircraft was black, was to help dissipate the 500+ degrees Celcius heat that built up on the skin of its fuselage. I must do some more reading.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Well that's good enough an explanation for me.

Strangley enough I was also thinking about the SR71 when I started that rumour.

1962 it first flew or thereabouts and to this day nothing is faster !!

Wonder if they use Satin Black engine enamel to paint it ? .... Probably not

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Black does have the best radiating AND conducting properties.

White is the total opposite.

But it's pubtalk anyway with regards to Golf calipers!! a Lockheed Blackbird yes, A golf's brakes.. NO!

Back onto topic, for a Silver car, then Red brakes.

If it were a blue car, then I'd say YELLOW! soooo cool in my opinion

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for the reponses,kinda backed up whatr I had already thought. Just wanted some other opinions! Going to be doing them red,when it stops raining for a change!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I would have chosen red for my Reflex Silver, except my brake pads are bright green [:S] So I'm going to stick with a fairly neutral colour for the calipers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts