Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VoteOptions question="AmD - Should i???" description="Well i have been looking at the AmD one click unit, but have read various views on the company so whats the overall opinion??? I'd appreciate any better suggestions of where to have it chipped. Its standard at the moment so anything sensible considered.

Cheers"><a>Avoid like the plague</a>Go for it</VoteOptions>

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
From all the opinions of AmD I have heard, i'd say it's probably 70% no to 30% yes. There is such a range of companies out there who have better reputations.

Remapping - Revo, Jabba, MRC, Custom Code to name but four.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I, personally, would recommend you go elsewhere......... unless you particularly like problems....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
As usual the forum sits on the fence. [:p] 11 - 0 against. We are yet to get the full story from a member who spent a significant of money at AmD, only to have his car sitting around unuseable.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm not going to vote... a very good friend of mine works at AmD... so I hear allsorts of stories... and probably one of the cleverest chaps I've met in VW tuning was behind part of its development Jeff Everet... pitty he left and moved to Canada before it was finished by the sound of things...

ps. I have a Jabba tuned car.... [;)]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
As usual the forum sits on the fence. [:p] 11 - 0 against. We are yet to get the full story from a member who spent a significant of money at AmD, only to have his car sitting around unuseable.
Yeah.. really undecided eh !

Perhaps Ed can tell the assembled masses at the Awesome rr day, what happened to garys car ?! [;)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
GH has been eerily quiet of late. He surfaced after a notable absence to stir things up with AmD a few months ago. That worked remarkably well (about 3 hours as I recall, fortunately I printed a copy [;)]) and they promised a solution if he removed his comments, yet we don't hear him spreading the joyous news that the car is on the road, working well etc. Has anyone heard a dickie bird? I do hope its sorted for his sake.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Very wide berth required. Just PM Ianhg if you want a horror story.
blimey, two years ago and my story still comes up, i feel like a a uk-mkivs urban legend or somthing
Well I remember going out in your PD130 when it was done at the AmD open day. It had dynoed at 300lb/ft which sounded great but it was causing a lot of clutch and drivetrain problems and it also smoked more than Bob Marley!

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
My experience with AmD has been nothing but good. They have since had a change of directorship there and Ed Jackson seems to have the bull by the horns. Recently I had the OneClick installed on my 4Mo and whilst uploading to standard one day I got something wrong and i was locked out of the ECU. I wasn't sure what I'd done wrong but a call to AmD on 23rd december saw Adam Bloch giving me telephone support up to 7.30 at night. had I not needed to be somewhere that night he would've come over and rebooted my ecu "that evening!". So next day he is with me by 9AM and going through the procedure to reset my car and show me the correct procedure to run oneclick so i knew what to do correctly.

Show me another tuning company who would go to these lengths and more to put something right and with a friendly, helpful and courteous manner and I might take a look but until then I'll stick with AmD. As for Gary's case (Now the main cheese has gone). Ed Jackson has his case very much in hand and to my knowledge will be doing some very generous things to try and rebuild some bridges.

Every company makes a mistake but you're only as good s your last response to a problem and I can highly recommend them. As for those few (not pointing fingers I mean generally) that give negative comments on a company they have never used I find arrogant. Those who have had genuine problems with this and any company have the right to air their grievances and speak their mind and we should listen.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sure Roy, I've had a very negative experience with my car last year, which forms the basis of my comments. I am righteously annoyed about it but have not done a full "warts and all" rant about it.

Ed Jackson did indeed have the bull by the horns, but by early December he had had enough and left. I've been talking to him over the last few days and he will be coming up to the Awesome day next weekend, along with a certain Mr Handa who unfortunately is still unable to turn up in a Golf.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, I'll be in the minority of supporting AmD. Had all three cars tuned and serviced there - would recommend them to my friends. For the record they were considerably cheaper (?200) than Audi in Stratford for my 2nd AVS on the S3. Tuning and modifying is an expensive business if you have no mechanical skills, which I dont, and I trust AmD to do as good a job as anyone else out there.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My experience with AmD has been nothing but
good. They have since had a change of directorship there and Ed Jackson
seems to have the bull by the horns. Recently I had the OneClick
installed on my 4Mo and whilst uploading to standard one day I got
something wrong and i was locked out of the ECU. I wasn't sure
what I'd done wrong but a call to AmD on 23rd december saw Adam Bloch
giving me telephone support up to 7.30 at night. had I not needed to be
somewhere that night he would've come over and rebooted my ecu "that
evening!". So next day he is with me by 9AM and going through the
procedure to reset my car and show me the correct procedure to run
oneclick so i knew what to do correctly.

Show me another tuning company who would go to these lengths and
more to put something right and with a friendly, helpful and
courteous manner and I might take a look but until then I'll stick with
AmD. As for Gary's case (Now the main cheese has gone). Ed
Jackson has his case very much in hand and to my knowledge will be
doing some very generous things to try and rebuild some bridges.

Every company makes a mistake but you're only as good s your last
response to a problem and I can highly recommend them. As for
those few (not pointing fingers I mean generally) that give negative
comments on a company they have never used I find arrogant. Those who
have had genuine problems with this and any company have the right to
air their grievances and speak their mind and we should listen.
hey Roy

how you doing feller? long time no see. I wish they had done the same
when my one click locked out my ecu! but that was two years ago so they
sound like they are improving

1 - 20 of 30 Posts