Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I know its been asked and I looked on the search button but theres just soooo many to choose from. I want to spend about 50 quid max can I get one for this price? I already have an Auto Glym car cleaning kit so I just need the polisher and pads.

Please help, thanks.

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Silverline rotary does the job,around £35 iirc,but you will need a backing plate and pads don't come cheap at around £9 each,you'll need a few different pads and a little knowledge of how to use it.Loads of guides and info out,put the kettle on a start searching.

·
Registered
318 Posts
mate if you are new to machine polishers i wouldnt start with a rotary.there is a very real danger that you could burn the paint and that aint good.you can get just a good a result with a DA machine and its much safer too.just takes longer to achieve the same result but still much quicker and easier than hand finishing.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If its paint correction you're after, a halfords jobbie will not suffice! As mentioned a DA is best. The Kestrel Das6 is probably the cheapest out of the recommended ones at around ?70. Its pretty much a g220 without all the fuss. I use a DAS6 pro and id highly recommended it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Various places you can get them from, hard to say where is best as the deals change so often I got a good deal from i4detailing before Xmas but that may well have passed now, also cheapest is not always best, sometimes its good to pay a little more and know you will get good customer service with it too. (Not faulting i4detailing at all just think too many people hunt the ultimate bargain)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys

So I bought a basic one from Halfrauds one for a beginner u might say. My other question is there are two types of cloth that came with it one was a Towelling mop the other was a fluffy buffer mop, might sound silly but whats the Towelling one for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ok guys

So I bought a basic one from Halfrauds one for a beginner You might say. My other question is there are two types of cloth that came with it one was a Towelling mop the other was a fluffy buffer mop, might sound silly but whats the Towelling one for?

Thanks.
The towelling one will be for removing polish and the fluffy one for buffing afterwards. From reading your original post I fear you may have wasted your cash, the halfords machines are nothing like a da or rotary, they are good for taking off polish/wax that you have applied by hand and buffing it up afterwards but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys

So I bought a basic one from Halfrauds one for a beginner You might say. My other question is there are two types of cloth that came with it one was a Towelling mop the other was a fluffy buffer mop, might sound silly but whats the Towelling one for?

Thanks.
The towelling one will be for removing polish and the fluffy one for buffing afterwards. From reading your original post I fear you may have wasted your cash, the halfords machines are nothing like a da or rotary, they are good for taking off polish/wax that you have applied by hand and buffing it up afterwards but thats about it.
Oh right thanks alot I just skipped the towel and went for the buffer after applying by hand the wax. But yeah you might be right about wasting my money but hey it will do for now all I wanted was something to buff the wax off and it does give a good deep shine maybe in the future I will get a better one and sell this one for a small fee.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts