Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which brands, ones, do we prefer for HAND application?

there seems to be a lot of PC talk, but we forget most still use hand application.....

So which polish do we go for?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I either use autoglym or BMW/Jaguar polish as they're mighty fine at what they do imo... heres a pic of our 7 series.. with just a bmw polish...

Posted Image

No wax on that either...

Sat

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I thought we were talking about polish here? [:D]

Mine's Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine > Meg's applicator > cotton stockinette > microfibre (Halfords or Autoglym High Tech Finishing Cloth)

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought we were talking about polish here? [:D]
correctimondo!

Mine's Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine > Meg's applicator > cotton stockinette > microfibre (Halfords or Autoglym High Tech Finishing Cloth)

Posted Image
how often do you use the POLISH, does it have much effect on "minor" scratches etc.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Which brands, ones, do we prefer for HAND application?

So which polish do we go for?
I'm interested in this too. Do people find that hand applicated polish gets rid of scratches? Does it remove swirls too?

I will buy some if someone suggests a good one. (especially for black cars)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tried AG UDS on my Blck Golf --it gives a nice shine ,did not seem to remove swirls so much and worst of all is awful to apply and leaves the horrible white powder residue everywhere.

I have had good success with the following polishs :

Clearkote Vanilla Moose Handglaze and also Megs Deep Crystal Polish both very easy to apply no messy white powder.

I am now going to order some Menzema Intensive Polish which seems to be good for the VAG paint.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not found a good polish for my non-metallic black yet. However, Autoglym Extra Gloss protection seems to work pretty well as a wax. Really easy to use too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
people seem to be getting mixed up between polish, wax and sealants. Brief explanation below (taken from polished bliss):

POLISH

Polishing is a broad term for a range of processes that either remove
or mask exterior paint defects and dramatically increase surface gloss
in preparation for the addition of wax or sealant protection. Products are designed to either remove or
mask sub-surface defects such swirl marks and scratches

WAX / SEALANT

Once cleaned and polished, painted surfaces require protection against
the elements in order to preserve the quality of the finish. Such
protection comes in the form of either natural carnuba waxes or
synthetic sealants, which offer varying degrees of gloss, reflectivity,
slickness and durability.
Poorboys Natty's would certainly be classed as a Wax and AG Extra Gloss Protection as a sealant.

Personally I've used AG Super Resin Polish before I branched out into mail order products such as Poorboys Megs products. Found it worked well apart from the dust it creates, quick tip is to apparently use a damp cloth to remove or just make sure you apply it thinnly. I want to try Poorboy's Polish with Carnuba Blue as i've heard good things and combine it with Nattys Blue. Had a sample of Klass AIO which is a hard one to group, contains slight polishing properties but also is classed as an acrylic sealant to, seemed to work well, easy to apply and remove.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have used Klasse AIO and is also very good altough it does not have the properties to remove slight swirls or scratches but for sure is good polish and gives a nice shine on Black-top it with P21S or Souveran for an excellent finish.

You can also use AIO on your alloys too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Used all this list by hand:

Klasse AIO, Megs #83 (DACP), Megs #80 (slight polishing/cleaning props), AG SRP (pretty useless), AutoSmart MirrorFinish, and Swissol stuff

For flat black I would try the #83. By flat black do you mean plain black with no clearcoat? If so then this should work fine.

Also for those that remember the Wax Wizard range(!), #83 appear to be very similar to Cleanse#1 and the #80/82 to Superior Hand Wax 'n' Polish.....

Remember also that some products have less polishing properties but more cleaning properties, which are what most people require. AOI is a good example here, as it will clean the paintwork well, but not really remove any paint defects.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Not found a good polish for my non-metallic black yet. However, Autoglym Extra Gloss protection seems to work pretty well as a wax. Really easy to use too.
This is my dads flat black lexus after a working:

Posted Image

Process was FPII, EX-P, #16.

Flat black gives off ace reflections!!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I tried AG UDS on my Blck Golf --it gives a nice shine ,did not seem to remove swirls so much and worst of all is awful to apply and leaves the horrible white powder residue everywhere.
Ditto with pretty much every autodust product i've tried.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What do you use the cotton stockinette for Shiu ?
Buffing off the bulk of whatever I've applied. I always cut off a new piece from a big roll I got from Halfords. I used to use microfibres but they just clog up too quickly and lose their effectiveness and require more pressure, so now I use MFs for the final buff. If I have an accident while detailing it's also good for making bandages! [:D][Y]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts