Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see here, this makes sick to the pit of my stomach

Gloucestershire police force has admitted illegally rejecting 108 job applicants because they were white men.

The Police Federation said the force has been trying to
recruit more female officers and more people from ethnic minorities to
meet a government target.

But one of the unsuccessful applicants, Matt Powell took legal action and has been awarded £2,500 by a tribunal.

Mr Powell, 30, said he became suspicious when he was told he had been "randomly des elected".

The case comes six months after Avon and Somerset Police
admitted it had illegally rejected almost 200 applications from white
men for the same reason.

'Unlawful racial discrimination'

The Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) and the Equal
Opportunities Commission who led the investigation, said the
Gloucestershire force had unlawfully discriminated on the grounds of
race and sex.

A spokesman said: "Unlawful racial discrimination is
unacceptable and as the guardian of the Race Relations Act we will hold
organisations to account if we think that they are in breach of the
Act."

To call it a clumsy policy would be diplomatic. It clearly wasn't the way to do it.

Ian Anderson, chairman of the Gloucestershire Police Federation

Police are under pressure to meet the government target,
set in 1999, that by 2009, 7% of police officers in England and Wales
should be from ethnic minority groups.

In September 2005, only 1.6% of Gloucestershire Police officers were black or Asian.

Ian Anderson, chairman of Gloucestershire Police
Federation blamed unrealistic government targets for their illegal
recruitment drive.

"The government set a target of 7% of the force to be
from ethnic minorities, when ethnic minorities make up only around 2.8%
of the population.

"I think to call it a clumsy policy would be diplomatic.

"It clearly wasn't the way to do it and has caused a
great deal of consternation and disquiet in the force and the local
community."

'Positive action'

Earlier this year, Gloucestershire's Assistant Chief
Constable Michael Matthews admitted 'positive action' had been taken to
recruit more women and from ethnic minorities.

"It is essential in a democratic policing environment to
ensure that under-represented groups are prioritised in our recruitment
drives," he said.

Mr Powell's solicitor, Nigel Tillott, said: "The impact
of this is that it is now clear how far public authorities can go in
positive action.

"What they cannot do is discriminate against white males when it comes to job applications."

·
Registered
162 Posts
what can i say... what a country we live in.

Exactly the same in exam papers. try and find a "John Smith" in a GCSE maths paper.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Political correctness sucks.

Another complete joke.

(Its Friday afternoon BTW and I have had enough of political debates this week now so I'll spare you all my usual 10000 word rant about the state of the country lol)

·
Registered
266 Posts
People should be hired for their capability's not for the colour of their skin.

Has anyone seen the film "American History X" there is a very relevant quote for this its something like "if the guy holding my dads ladder (he was a fireman) was the more qualified applicant, not just a minority who was first in line, he would still be alive" something like that. But it is very true, the people who get the job should be chosen on their abililities...the best man for the job and all that.

Just like to add, i am not racist one bit, just think the line between equalities and ethics is very hazy.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Has anyone seen the film "American History X" there is a very relevant quote for this its something like "if the guy holding my dads ladder (he was a fireman) was the more qualified applicant, not just a minority who was first in line, he would still be alive" something like that. But it is very true, the people who get the job should be chosen on their abililities...the best man for the job and all that.

Just like to add, i am not racist one bit, just think the line between equalities and ethics is very hazy.
I dont entirely agree with that, you cant just get a job in the police because your a minority! You still have to pass the same stringent exams and tests that anyone else has too. You still have to be a certain kind of person with certain abilities!

As for minority quotas, racist white people abusing their position in the police force are to blame for that! So many abuses of power and deaths in custody set this trend.

Police forces should mirror the areas they live in, I think its correct and the ONLY way to run an effective police force. What use is someone from a rural area in Wales, trying to Police Elephant and Castle or Hackney? No matter how good a cop he is, he wont have a clue whats going on with these kind of areas!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
This is hilarious! Bless them, they can't get it right! A great example of political correctness/racism gone wrong!

(Actually, I'm not sure it's about racism, more discrimination).

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People where overlooked for jobs they were qualified for (more qualified than others) because of there skin colour.... is that discrimination?

What if people where knocked back from the Met because they wre black or asian? would that be discrimination or racism.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I dont entirely agree with that, you cant just get a job in the police because your a minority! You still have to pass the same stringent exams and tests that anyone else has too. You still have to be a certain kind of person with certain abilities!

As for minority quotas, racist white people abusing their position in the police force are to blame for that! So many abuses of power and deaths in custody set this trend.

Police forces should mirror the areas they live in, I think its correct and the ONLY way to run an effective police force. What use is someone from a rural area in Wales, trying to Police Elephant and Castle or Hackney? No matter how good a cop he is, he wont have a clue whats going on with these kind of areas!
yet again Equalz doesnt read the article on turns it back.. are you a closet racist equalz... the fact is whites who passed the s election proccess with better scores than ethnic candidtaes where knocked back... not because of ability but because they didnt have the right skin colour... WTF has that todod with one or 2 bent coppers in the 70s..

If you think we have "racist white people abusing their position in the police force" then go and live in America or South Africa..... get real and stop spouting crap

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
People where overlooked for jobs they were qualified for (more qualified than others) because of there skin colour.... is that discrimination?

What if people where knocked back from the Met because they wre black or asian? would that be discrimination or racism.
I'm not sure, that's why I said.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

yet again Equalz doesnt read the article on turns it back.. are you a closet racist equalz... the fact is whites who passed the s election proccess with better scores than ethnic candidtaes where knocked back... not because of ability but because they didnt have the right skin colour... WTF has that todod with one or 2 bent coppers in the 70s..

If you think we have "racist white people abusing their position in the police force" then go and live in America or South Africa..... get real and stop spouting crap
Well said Andy.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Rejecting people with a darker skin colour in bulk like they did here just wouldn't happen.

Let's face it, they might think about it, then think 'can't do it, racism'.

With white people they think 'need people to see were not racist, so we'll get rid of white people'.

Think about it.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The biggest issue for me is the fact that if an asian/black/chinese man was rejected from a job because of the colour of his skin, there would be uproar. It would be discrimation. It would also, becuase they are not white, be racism...

Yet it is legal and perfectly acceptable to discriminate against a British white man in his own country for having the wrong colour skin to do a job in th country he was born it???

WTF???!!!??

How is that not at least discrimation, but probably also racism. Regardless of what it is, I thought discrimination was a thing of the past in our wonderful modern society? When society bends over backwards to accomodate all these nationalities, races and religions into society only to have it thrown back in our face, by them in some cases, and our own government. Closet racists? And you wonder why everyone may be classed as a closet racist when they see things like this going on? You even have to choose your words now as not to offend someone who may sue you for a breach of their human rights.

What next. A quota of immigrants for the police so that they can talk to their own people in a language where noone knows what they are saying?? Being arrested by a copper who is Polish and can't actually read you your rights?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think you need to acept the fact that because your white british, you ARE a closet racist, no two ways about it.

Thats the badge we got. I lost count of the times, solely on here that I have been branded a racist for saying something which was not racist, but simply something I saw.

So far, on here only, I have been racist to: Indians, Black Africans, Chinese, Pakistani's & German. i..e I was branded as a racist by people from those countries.

And of course, if I say 'mu....mus...' damn, can't do it, I'm an instant racial hater, even though it's a religion!!

Now the police, it's VERY difficult for them. If you arrest the wrong person, let's for this instance (though we all know it's not black africans, indians, chinese, german, french, american etc etc) say you arrest a mid toned person for doing something in the streets that they shouldn't be doing, and your a white copper.

The mid toned person, I would think, at LEAST 25% of the time will pull the racist card, making it extremely difficult for the coppers. My cousins husband is now a cheif constable, but he's told me, white coppers now AVOID arresting these mid toned people because of the abuse and flack they get from it, purely because those mid toned people pull the racial hatred card and 'your arresting me because of my faith, because you thassume I'm a bomber, because I'm black innit. It causes a lot more paperwork and causes a split in the area between mid toned and white people.

Hence, if a mid toned copper, arrests a mid toned chav called Tyrone-ie baba, the racial card cannot be pulled.

However, by signing up a multi cultural police force, they are saying no to those fit for the job based on skin colour and doing exactly what they were trying to overcome, a divide.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
To use your race/colour to your advantage in such a situation is wrong, and it shouldnt be bought...Why should coppers tip toe around such people for fear of being hauled up in front of their sarge/courts to explain themselves.

If you are a British citizen, regardless of your colour, race or faith, why would you pull the race card? If you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. Random searches exist, I've been searched and so has my car. Fact is, shifty looking people will always be stopped. You have just as much chance of being stopped if you are a shifty looking white male in full ASBO chav tracksuit as a non white chav...

So where would I stand if I, a white male, was stopped by a non white officer, and claimed I was being harassed by them and decided to claim it was becuase I is white? Would it be taken as seriously. No, i'd probably be done for racism or obstructing the police, regardless of how polite I may state my case! I know what the police press statement answer would be, but we all know the real answer...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Unfortunately this is the society we live in at the moment.I personally would rather be hired on merit rather than the colour of my skin, but in the

same light its government policy to have equality in the workplace.The same goes for equal employment of women and disabled people.

Andymac, the points you highlight are something that the government seriously need to look at because their intentions are obviously there

but again they have got the balance wrong and are creating more problems than they set out to resolve.They seem to be doing more harm than good at

the moment in this country and giving amunition to those that feel that people of colour dont belong in this country.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Trust me, from a coppers point of view its an absolute nightmare.

I can honestly say, without stereotyping, that when I pull over or arrest an asian teenager they will play the race card every single time. And that is from my experience not beliefs. You just have to have the courage of your convictions and remind yourself that you are acting lawfully and proportionatly.

There are a large number of police officers locally who are afraid to deal with the local asian community for fear of gathering complaints and being labelled a racist. Thus a large number of that community believe that they can get away with anything they want to and when they do get confronted by police, because it is unusual to them, they instantly play the race card. It makes me so angry.

The current trend, within the police, that is becoming very annoying, is for all incidents against minorities to be crimed (recorded) as a racially aggrevated incident, if a victim or witness believes it to be racially aggrevated, It might not be, but as long as somebody believes it to be, then it is recorded as such.

This alone is no problem at all, however, if an incident happens against a white family or white police officer, then the job will try everything possible to get out of recording it as a racially aggrevated incident. Bloody statistics every time. Thats all the police seems to be about lately!!!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
It is obvious that most people see the need for something to be done on this subject. But will the next PM pull his finger out and address these issues, those of the people...?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It is obvious that most people see the need for something to be done on this subject. But will the next PM pull his finger out and address these issues, those of the people...?
All a PM could do to get rid of this racism stuff is to cleanse.

Not really an option me don't think! It's only one culture and we all know which one it is. Shame it has to be that way, but glad dub warrior backed up what i said, and I'm just a bystander!

·
Registered
122 Posts

Your the one not reading my reply and no i'm not a racist half my family is white! Who said we have racist white people abusing their postion NOW? Yes I was on about the 60's, 70's and 80's!!!!! If it was just a couple of people or incidents you wouldn't be having the quota's your seeing now. It was a REAL problem requiring a REAL soultion!

As always the poor white people brigade start moaning, your living in a multi cultural society. You deal with IT, or you leave the country! I was born here so screw you with your crappy comments!

How come you didnt reply to the last part of my post? That suggests what I beleive in, that the quota should reflect the area! You tell me a better solution instead of moaning about so-called reverse racism!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts