Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving along the A46 between Newark & Lincoln on saturday afternoon, for those who dont know it, this road is a dual carriage way, & dead straight (an old roman road) & it has zero speed cameras......

But beware, you'll get stopped by a nice shiney silver 535D Estate (06 Reg) if you step over the speed limit.

I didnt pass him & can only assume he was hiding in one of the many side lanes off this amazing straight empty road.

My average speed was 87mph, & it got me 3points & the usual £60 contribution to their christmas party.

The officer in question was quite cool about it all & didnt give me the usual chat about death & speed, but I guess he wanted to get back to work & catch some more serious criminals like myself.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Welcome to the club, that your first 3?

If it's any consolation. Got done for 83mph at 5.49am on the M4 in wales. Not by a speed camera either. Was about 2 cars on the bit of road I could see, both myself and the other car got done as the other car was overtaking me.

I don't personally mind the £60. Its the points I hate!

Remember to declare it to your insurers when you have your licence physically endorsed. Otherwise, you'll be running around with no valid insurance. Be prepared for higher insurance for the next 5 years too.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry to say this make its 6, picked up 3 in July from a stealthly hidden mobile unit in nottm [:(]

I've not done too bad, been driving since 89 & have only been caught twice before, 1999 & 2002, again, these were unmarked & a mobile.

Just gotta slow down & take my time from now on (well for 3yrs)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I'm sorry to say this make its 6, picked up 3 in July from a stealthly hidden mobile unit in nottm [:(]

I've not done too bad, been driving since 89 & have only been caught twice before, 1999 & 2002, again, these were unmarked & a mobile.

Just gotta slow down & take my time from now on (well for 3yrs)
Gotta admit, I rarely go past 80 now. Just not worth it anymore. Was doing 80 on the speedo the other day and saw a van on a bridge. So long as my needle is on 80, I should be alright, as should be about 76mph real time. Still slowed down though!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You don;t need to notify your insurers until renewal time!

Depending who you are insured with points for speeding make very little difference to your insurance. I've been running around with 9 on my license for years now. I seem to drop down to 6 points only to get caught again shortly after so straight back up to 9 points. My insurance is about the same as others without the points. The only thing is having more than 6 points limits the amount of people will to cover you!

I was caught in july again for in excess of 100mph on the m40 and the guy who pulled me over (un marked car) was very cool about it. Gave me 2 choices and I took the fixed penalty - in reality the speed I was travelling would have meant a ban had I gone to court. Some of the coppers are sound others are complete tools but I think a lot of it is down to you and your attitude. I know the risk I am running when I speed so if I get caught it's my fault end of. The only thing I need to consider is damage limitation and being nice to the guy doing his job is part of it.

J.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They seem to be doing the rounds around York again, got stopped a couple of weeks ago on the A19 near Selby, 98.7mph average apparently. Gave me the option of 3 points or court (said he'd bend the rules as the max I could get 3 points for was 96mph) Said I'd go to court thanks, eventually he let me watch the tape he'd recorded, then gave me the option again of points and court, replied I'd go to court please, he asked why so I said I'd show him, stood next to my car and pointed out that its a 3 door with different rims on and the one on the tape was a 5 door with standard rims, he then found his humour and sent me on my way laughing saying he was off for a tea break!! I hadnt even driven past him, I'd pulled out of a side road anout 1/2 mile away from where he was sat and he wondered why I had slowed down so much!

Question is how many people would have taken the 3 points and not challenged him?

Think I read somewhere that more people have points than a clean licence now. Me included, although I've been particulary naughty, 14 points and a 28 day ban, I've learnt my lesson and slowed down a lot!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Sneaky Russians!

I'll save the catch some real criminals rant, i'm sure people have heard it before...

I have just got a clean licence back a couple of months ago. I got caught June 2001 doing 37 in a 30, at 2:10am, on a quiet stretch of road well out of the way of pedestrians, houses, schools, kids, animals and anything!

My concern that two officers sat in a car using vascar on a quiet bit of road is a waste of resources fell on deaf ears. Obviously nothing better or more important to do?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Were you stopped nearer to lincoln or Newark Jace? ,. I must admit its so tempting to stretch the old girls legs down there [:)]
I believe he picked me up on the round about before the Hykem / Ringroad big roundabout, & gave me the blue lights at the hykem big roundabout, the one with the petrol station one it.

I recon he may have been waiting in that pub/restarant car park, its set back off the road & you have to access it off a round about, cant think of the name but they have a small animal park there too.

The saving grace is that he wasnt there back in June, as I had a play with a guy in a M3 newark bound, & we WERE motoring then, instant ban speeds

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You just have to tell yourself that you were caught and fined in the name of road safety. It has nothing to do with easy revenue. It is all to do with making the road a safer place. I'm sure the officer in question went home feeling good that he had done his bit for the safety of society.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Were you stopped nearer to lincoln or Newark Jace? ,. I must admit its so tempting to stretch the old girls legs down there [:)]
I believe he picked me up on the round about before the Hykem / Ringroad big roundabout, & gave me the blue lights at the hykem big roundabout, the one with the petrol station one it.

I recon he may have been waiting in that pub/restarant car park, its set back off the road & you have to access it off a round about, cant think of the name but they have a small animal park there too.

The saving grace is that he wasnt there back in June, as I had a play with a guy in a M3 newark bound, & we WERE motoring then, instant ban speeds
Nice bit of road that, very easy to speed as its always quiet but i have myself seen those mobile speed vans parked up checking speed on afew occasions, knowing that still doesnt make me stick to 70, just feels too slow. Think the restaraunt your on about is called the mahajarah and it has a motorbike clothing store next to it or if your talking about the one before that, i.e. the one nr the swinderby airfield roundabout then im not too sure on the name of that either, both places its abit sneaky to be checking speeds. Anyway unlucky dude, must have been just one of those days....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Not that i do above 70mph![:p]

In all the times i have travelled down that stretch of road, i have only seen one patrol car, which was a merc 4x4!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ahh,. the black one? ,. If you remember you motored past me + the missus at the showground roundabout (we were in the old Passat though)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts