Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear bushes have been shot for a while so i decided to change them. I took the rear axle off and disconnected the brakes. Everything went fine with the bushes but when i went to bleed the brakes i came across problem. Iv bled every corner but with the engine on the pedal goes straight to the floor. If the engine is turned of then they can be pumped up and pressurized. Every time i bleed the brakes more air seems to come out. Also the brake pedal is making a strange whooshing sound when you push it down. I'm completely stumped as to what this can be.

PLEASE HELP! I just had to drive home with only a handbrake!

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When you disconnected the small flexi pipes did you clamp them with brake hose clamps or plug the ends to stop them leaking? If you just left them to run dry you have probably drained half the system and then the master cylinder trying to replace the lost fluid.

You should be able to bleed it to conventional way pumping the cylinder as normal, But if the cylinder has emptied I would be more tempted to use one of the easy bleed type kits that takes pressure from a spare wheel to suck the fluid thru.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i did not clamp the hoses [:(]. There wasnt much fluid on the floor as the car was jucked up high at the back due to me changing the rear bushes. The brake fluid level was bellow the mesh filter in the resoviour so im not sure how much was in there. Where can i buy an easy bleed kit from? Also, iv read something about the abs pump needing somthing done with vag com but im not sure if this applys to me.

I really need to get this sorted as its effecting me being able to work.

Thank you very much for the info. Much apreciated

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Most car places will sell you one, Halfords do im sure, Never actually used one, always just used to pedal method, As for the Vag come thing, it must be somethnig to do with the ABS system, You wont have drained it that much though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im fearing that this is going to be a master cylinder or similar problem. I dont know whether to bite the bullet and give it to a garage to sort out and get charged for a master cylinder even if theres nothing wrong with it. Or try to sort it myself. I spent over 6 hours trying to get th ebrakes to work yesterday and after going through alot of brake fluid, most of wich ended up on me, i gave up.

Im just hoping somone can tell me that its a simple thing that iv done wrong and it will all be better [:(]

Looks like im off to buy a presure bleeder tonight.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
I thought that you had to use Eezibleed kits when bleeding for exactly this reason? Something to do with the seals iirc? Also, might be worth trying to find some info regarding brake fluid leaks. I seem to remember a "sticky" thread a while ago about fluid leaks after a fluid change. Sorry I can't be of more help - I'm no mechanic!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply dave. Aparently im not a mechanic either lol. Was proud that i managed to change the rear bushes on my own but was disapointed when i tried to bleed the brakes. I suppose you live and you learn! lol

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
All is not lost yet mate!!! Changing the bushes is a great achievement. I'd try the check for leaks and try the eezibleed kit. See how you get on with that and post another message for more help if needed. Someone on here will have the knowledge to help you out I'm sure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the encouragement mate, much apreciated. Il give it another crack tonight and see how it goes. Im only 19 and still relativly new to all this car business. Its amazing what a fourumd oes to ones knowledge. This place is like a library of info and helpful people. Il update tonight!

Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ok lets see.. first of all, ignition on, engine off, fill your brake fluid up to the top.. there will be 2 bleed valves on the master cylinder, bleed those one by one first., opening the valve pumping the pedal...holding it down and locking the valve off.

Then make sure you still have enough fluid, start with the rears, bleed those through, open the valve pump the pedal slowly and near to all the way down, keep doing so untill its coming out good with no air then hold the pedal down to the floor and lock the valve back off. Do the same to the other side rear. Then do the same to the nearside front, and then the offside front.

If you have done all this correctly then it should be fine, give it a go i have to do it all the time at work, but we use a vacuum bleeder but the same principle applies. I can't see how you have fo oked the master cylinder up so try this first then i would think about taking it to a garage.

hope this helps..

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have just had a similar problem, changed the front discs and pads. Pushed caliper pistons back with proper tool to enable new pads to fit. Fitted everything back in place, then went to the brake pedal and had to press it about twice fully to build up the pressure again. Loh and behold from then on the brake was 'spongy' feeling, like air is in the system and if the pedal is pushed and held down it slowly sank to the floor. I bleed the brakes extensively with ezy bleed kit (well worth geting, much more reeliable than the noral pedal up and down method I think) I was unable to improve the brakes. Came to the conclusion the master cylinder seals had gone. From what I can find out speaking to those more experienced than myself, this is not uncommon when the pedal gets pressed all the way to the floor when it doesnt normally do so. It can dislodge dirt etc in the master, causing the seals to fail. I ended up changing the whole master cylinder (not to difficult) rebleeding averythng and it is fine now.

Hope it helps, good luck !

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it turned out to be air in the mastercylinder. Thanks for the guide James. Havnt re bled the calipers yet but after doing the master cylinder on its own the pedal is rock solid. Thanks everyone for any info they supplied. Im a happy bunny now [:D]

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Good job......I'll PM you when my bushes or brakes need sorting!!![;)][:p]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure where shropshire is mate but if you need a hadn gimme a shout. Car feels great on the powerflex bushes.

Thanks for everyones help. Next time i get myself into a situation i cant figure out i know where to come! [Y]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts