Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have received my heated seat loom from Foxy I am all set to install my heated seat setup this weekend hopefully. [:)]

I still need to retrofit the pads to my sports seats, and can see clearly that the green connector from the lower seat pad plugs straight into Foxy's loom.

However what I am unsure of is where the smaller 2 pin connectors (one from each pad) plug into. I had assumed they would plug into each other, but they are the same connector, so they must both plug into an additional connector. Will this be already fitted to the base of the seat?

Any advice will be gratefully recieved before I disconnect battery and start removing my seats. [:O]

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
432 Posts
the additional plug on the seat pad (base) supplys power the the heated backrest pad in the seat back i.e two pads per seat.

craigv

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am using the install guide to fit Foxy's loom, but this assumes that pads are already fitted, so only deals with the plugging in of the green connector.

As Craig has rightly said the two pin connector on the base pad supplies power to the backrest pad. The trouble is that the connector on both pads is the same, i.e they wont plug in to each other. Maybe there is a terminal block under the seat into which they both plug, but it would seem a complicated way of making a straighforward connection.

Richard

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know if these help, but I've taken some pictures of the OEM seat heater wiring underneath the seat:

Posted Image

When unplugged:

Posted Image

There are 2 connectors on the loom that goes from the green plug, firstly a 4 way connector to something in the seat:

Posted Image

And then a 2 way connector going to soemthing else within the seat but with wiring passed up the side of the seat, alongside the airbag loom:

Posted Image

There is also one loom leading from the green plug that disappears straight into the seat with no intermediate connector. Does this look anything like your setup?

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rally Chris

Thanks a million mate!

Your photos, and wiring diagram have show me that I am short of connector 'T2', a double connector below the seat. Seems an overcomplicated way to join the wires, but that is what I am missing.

On well, unless the seat pixies have left a couple under there for me I guess it off to the stealers.

Thanks again

Richard [:)]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still a bit puzzled about the black 4-way connector on the pics.

My seat base pad consists of the large green plug and the white 2-way plug, and my backrest pad just has the white 2-way.

Richard

·
Registered
703 Posts
Alternatively, please can you email me with more details of the wires/connectors that you have - ie wire colours and pin connections, also the part number(s) embossed on each connector housing. From that I hope to be able to match the bits you have to the wiring diagram and I can also work out what parts you may need to make the bits plug together!

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris

The image below shows my current seat pad wiring setup

Click link for decent size image.

Posted Image

http://img1.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc6&image=458f7_seat_pad_wiring.jpg

For the purposes of the photo I have plugged Foxy's seat loom into the green connector.

The seat base pad has the following connections:-

Green connector (1JO 937 741)

Pin 1 - Brown/Black

Pin 2 - Black/White

Pin 3 - Brown

Pin 4 - Black/Yellow

Pin 5 (unused)

Pin 6 (unused)

White connector (1JO 972 702E)

Pin 1 - Brown/Blue

Pin 2 - Brown

The backrest pad has the following connections:-

White connector (1JO 972 702E)

Pin 1 - Brown/Blue

Pin 2 - Brown

Something must go between these two white connectors even if its just a simple 'pass through' connector.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
703 Posts
Rich,

On the face of it you will simply need to connect the two white connectors together - the parts you will need to form a bac-to-back connector are:

1J0 972 712 Flat Connector Housing - 2 pin (mates to 1J0 972 702) (2 off per seat)

000 979 135 Single Wiring (short yellow wire with pin each end) (2 off per seat)

You should be able to order these parts from your local dealer but almost certainly they will have to order them in from VW UK. If you are really unlucky they will be on backorder....

Hope this helps

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris - Thanks for the connector info. I will get onto my dealer tomorrow.

I have just finished fitting the pads to one of my sports seats. It took me 5 hrs!, and I will in due course do a 'how to' guide as removing the cover from the seat is quite involved and a bit fiddly. I am sure my next seat wont take as long, but I think anyone else contemplating this will benefit from some sort of guide.

The 'gap' between the connectors which will need to be made up with a link cable will need to be at least 600mm allowing for tipping the seat forward etc. How long are the repair wires from the dealer?

rob_watti - I got the pads off ebay. I think I paid less than ?70 for all four. They were being sold as they had been bought in error. The seller had Recaros and the pads fitted to those are different, though probably just in shape. I dont know what the dealer prices are unfortunately.

Tomorrow I will fit the drivers seat pads and install the loom. I am fairly sure I will be able to fit the link cable at a later date without having to remove the seats out of the car again.

Richard

·
Registered
703 Posts
The repair wires are shorter than that, probably about 200mm

From looking at Etka it appears that the Recaro ones are different as they have 3 separate heater elements to go in the base of the seat, as the side bolsters are detatched from the centre part of the seat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
mine are they anniversary recaro's aswell so will this make it different again?? im guna get heated seats no matter what it takes!!! HELP!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts