Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOOD DAY TO ALL DUBBERS

I have a rather large problem[:S]

on my way from doing some shopping i pulled out of a junction and started to change up the gears and went from 3rd to 6th by accident

when i put my foot down there was a MASSIVE BANG!!!![:|]

First thought was the enging had blown but after stoping and taking a look under the hood i found tha the BLACK PLASTIC COVER on the AIR INTAKE had a MASSIVE hole in it[:'(]

here is a pic of the cover and i NEED TO KNOW IF THIS COVER CAN BE REPLACED?????????

or is it a case of having to have a COMPLEAT NEW INTAKE SYSTEM ?????

WOULD AN R32 INTAKE BE THE SAME AND FIT THE 2.8 24V?????

anyone with ETKA or the likes could you have a look and see what you can find out

or if anyone knows where an intake for sale

HOPE YOU ALL CAN HELP[Y]

here is the pic

Posted Image

Andy

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
an r32 one wont fit according to vr6 24v owners on the vortex... it looks like you have had a backfire really before you replace the manifold you need to find out why it back fired, have you run the nitrous at all yet?

your not running lpg are you as this is really common with lpg and plastic manifolds... as temporary fix and to diagnose the backfire repair it with some epoxy resin (on the outside though as you don't want to get that in the engine)

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed that when reving it really gets sucked in under the load and not sure if there might have been a crack in it and it has given way[:'(]

The main thing i need to know is will an R32 intake fit????

as i can get one quite cheep

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have noticed that when reving it really gets sucked in under the load and not sure if there might have been a crack in it and it has given way[:'(]

The main thing i need to know is will an R32 intake fit????

as i can get one quite cheep
Phatvr6 would be worth a pm has he has had both engines in and out iof his car frequently... I am 90% sure it wont though as the porting is different as I recall (check the vwvortex 24v technical forum)

I was going to comment on your air filter the other day it looked a bit small... if the panels getting sucked in then the engine is struggling to get air and there is negative pressure in the manifold... if I was you I would try the standard intake with a cold air feed

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
an r32 one wont fit according to vr6 24v owners on the vortex... it looks like you have had a backfire really before you replace the manifold you need to find out why it back fired, have you run the nitrous at all yet?

your not running lpg are you as this is really common with lpg and plastic manifolds... as temporary fix and to diagnose the backfire repair it with some epoxy resin (on the outside though as you don't want to get that in the engine)
the NOS is all tried and tested with NO problems

the only thing i can think of that there might be a slight leak on the FUEL solonoid and when i changed up and got 6th by mistakethere was N20 leaking into the intake and the car could not burn it as fast and it backfired

NO not running LPG

The plastic cover has almost gone and in about 3 bits

COULD i replace it with a sheet of LEXAN and bond that in place with epoxy?

All help very gladly accepted

Andy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK mate will PM him and see what he has to say[Y]

dou you think VW do that cover as a PART or just the compleat intake??

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THERE MIGHT BE AN INTAKE FOR SALE????

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
teher was an intake on the bay a while ago, might be worth checking the completed items to see if it sold.

I am sure its a one piece item I am afraid...

However I would say you have a problem as EIP have tested those plastic manifolds to 40psi and they didnt crack

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have to do a leak test on the nos system again and see if it could be that

40 PSI holey hell!!

thanks for that i will have a look and where do i find the compleated items mate??

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think you should get that NOS setup looked at, have you been down to westec and had it properly setup?

Also how did you mistakenly go from 3rd to 6th on and upwards gear change, would`nt the logical move be going into 4th from 3rd?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You would have thought so[:^)]

not quite sure how i managed that to be honest

I have been and got the car this morning (Towed) and it seems like i made a BIG mistake as to where i placed the ARMING switch for the NOS[:$]

Although the bottle of nos was turned off i managed to arm the switch with my knee and it injected FUEL in through the intake and due to the very high gear i was in i caused a BACK FIRE.

i will get some pics up after just for reffrence as HOW NOT TO DO IT

switch will be mved to the ashtray with a locking cover over it so it cant happen again[:|]

Well it will be an expensive mistake that i will not make again!!!!!

TB hose 58 quid

BREATHER PIPE 32 quid

INTAKE MANIFOLD (NEW) 500 quid

i might have found a used one and if not it is a lesson to learn.

Andy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds like a blow back(back fire) as peviously said. Drag racers have them with devastating effect. Sounds like you got away lightly as they often result in fire. I would recommend carrying a fire extinguisher with you.

Top of the R32 engine is totally different to 2.8 and they even have different tops dependant of age and source of unit.i have seen 2 different styles of 24v.

Best of luck with getting it sorted

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i cary one in the car mate anyway

always have just incase[:S]

just hope i never need it

it really was LUCK in UNLUCK

should be ok in few days fingers crossed

·
Registered
976 Posts
Supose you were lucky not to blow the actual engine, i`m sure you`ll get it sorted out soon mate, have you got anymore pics of the actual damage, can`t you just patch it up until you source a cheaper intake manifold as I think ?500 is a bit steep for a bit of fancy plastic.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should see what the EXPLOSION has done to the bonet[:O]

there are HUGE dents all over and it is a wavey as the north sea in winter[:O]

i have managed to get the s large bits that have broken away and GAFFA TAPE it al together so i could drive it home about half a mile

she runs a little rough but not all bad.

I have foud another INTAKE from SANDBURN in coventry for 75 quid and the rest i wil get from VW

PICS WILL FOLLOW LATER

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate, hope you get it sorted soon! I think I want to get that anni bodykit from you at some point within a month so there is a few extra pennies to go towards sorting it for you! Best of luck

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK here are some PICS i have done[:|]

This one is of the damage to the bonet although it is not as visabel on the photo it is stil very bad

Posted Image

You can see what part has been blown apart and just so i could get it home i managed to cover the hole with the 2 large bits that had blown off and using the good old gaffa tape sealed it up as without this the csr wil not run due to too much air entering the intake and not enough fuel

Posted Image

And here you can see the rest of the damage although not so bad or costly to repair

just so you can see what it is i have numberd them in pairs so you can see where they go

1 Is the vacume pipe

2 breather pipe from intake to rocker cover

3 Is the valve that goes into the back of the inlet pipe

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 30 Posts