Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
ive got a 1.6 , n have to agree if ur wanting more power swap it for a better one or get a 1.8T engine put in im afraid geeza,

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Struggled to keep up with a Civic VTI.

Need power!!!

HELP! [:p]
I drove the Civic 1.6 VTi (and the 1.8 VTi) they quick cars considering thier engine sizes. I think the 1.6 records a real world figure of 7.5 seconds 0-60 mph - enough to embarrass my TDi 150, guess they must have a high power to weight ratio. Bugger all toque but with gearboxes like that it doesn't matter. Your not going to keep up when they hit vtec!! The 1.6 VTi was a really underrated car, I'd imagine it would be a real bargin at the moment. My advice is to but one (I nearly did)!!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Need power!!!

I drove the Civic 1.6 VTi (and the 1.8 VTi) they quick cars considering thier engine sizes. I think the 1.6 records a real world figure of 7.5 seconds 0-60 mph - enough to embarrass my TDi 150, guess they must have a high power to weight ratio. Bugger all toque but with gearboxes like that it doesn't matter. Your not going to keep up when they hit vtec!! The 1.6 VTi was a really underrated car, I'd imagine it would be a real bargin at the moment. My advice is to but one (I nearly did)!!!
More like 10 seconds. Maybe 9.5 if you are lucky. Golf 1.6 does it in 10.5 so the Civic is going to be a bit quicker.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Chris,

Take a look at my group buy for tuning boxes:

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/510876/ShowPost.aspx

I can supply one for your car that will release a few more ponies and some usefull torque.

It will give you car a minimum of 14bhp and 21Nm more just by fitting it. Adjust it up and you could be looking at 20bhp increase

Regards

Guy (garfie)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You could try installing a Cold Air induction kit, maybe a tuning box from Garfie. Unless you are feeling flush, get a supercharger or turbo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont really wanna go overboard. Im 20 and i havent got that much dosh floating around. cold air induction sounds sweet though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+ i dont want to sacrifice the engine cover for an induction kit. could i install one with the engine cover left on?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Need power!!!

More like 10 seconds. Maybe 9.5 if you are lucky. Golf 1.6 does it in 10.5 so the Civic is going to be a bit quicker.
Rye the 1.6 has 160 bhp (and the 1.8 has 180 bhp). I'm sure the book 0-60 time is around 8.5 seconds and Evo magazine clocked one at < 8 seconds. You would have to make use of all of the rev range as there isn't much torque. They are quick!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Need power!!!

Rye the 1.6 has 160 bhp (and the 1.8 has 180 bhp). I'm sure the book 0-60 time is around 8.5 seconds and Evo magazine clocked one at < 8 seconds. You would have to make use of all of the rev range as there isn't much torque. They are quick!
Sorry, my mistake... I thought you were talking about the 2000 onwards 1.6 VTEC. The old civic VTi does indeed do 0-60 in around 7.7 secs.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
+ i dont want to sacrifice the engine cover for an induction kit. could i install one with the engine cover left on?
Yes you can but you'd need to cut a bit of the engine cover, underneath, so from the top it still looks normal. I personally didn't

bother, as the engine cover is not only a lot heavier than an induction kit (weight saving = better power to weight ratio! Shave nanoseconds off 0-60 time!) and it also traps heat where the coil packs are which is one of the reasons they fail prematurely.

If you miss the VW logo on the engine cover then do what I did [:p]

Posted Image

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ahh the typhoon very nice sir.

I think that im gonna save for the carbonio CAI kit, it looks great!

i still dont wanna lose the cover [:p] looks too tidy!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Frankly, you would be better saving the money for

a) a faster car. (try a diesel one...)

b) handling improvements - springs, shocks.

It's really not worth trying to drag more out of the wheezy 1.6. Gains will be minimal and expensive compared to what is available on a diesel or petrol turbo version.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It will give you car a minimum of 14bhp and
21Nm more just by fitting it. Adjust it up and you could be looking at
20bhp increase
On a 1.6?

14bhp increase v unlikely, 20bhp never in a million years

dont believe you [:p]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts