Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving home from work this afternoon, bout 80 down the m60, i had the heater on full, noticed that i'd got a bit warm looked at the speedo, had the temp light blinking, looked at the guage it was in the red, i turned the heater off and moved over to the inside lane dropped down to 50 mph, i was by the junction for the m62 headed towards worsley for those who know it so there is no hard shoulder for a while, keeping my eye on teh temp guage and it dropped right down to where it normally rests, about 90 degrees.

i took it to a friends garage and he said it could possibly be the water pump, and told me to keep my eye on it. i drove the next 5 miles home with out a problem. i've been out this evening and put the heater on and it won't blow out hot air, its barely warm, and again i noticed the temp creaping up so i turned it off again and it resumed its normal position, have any of you had this before??

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm not questioning you Lee, but I just wondered why the temperature gauge would go up when you turned the heaters on? I thought that heaters removed heat from the engine, not added it? Or am I missing some blindingly obvious point? (probably)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was actually wondering if there was a filter that could be blocked and the hot air being forced back into the engine [:S] but i dunno

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Well that does seem to make sense because the water pump went on my first car, a metro (shut up) and I turned the heaters on and it cooled down, but then that was ancient. I suppose if the pump's gone, it doesn't matter how much heat the heaters take from the engine, there's still no water going round to cool it. Must be a block somewhere, stopping any heat getting to the heaters, and building it up elsewhere. That's about as technical as I can go!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The impellor of the waterpump will be loose from it's spindle. Probably ok upto 3000 revs, but starting to overheat at higher revs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've had no work done as i have only had the car just over 2 weeks, the guage seems to go up when the heater is on but drop when its off although it does seem to fluctuate, never exceeding 100 degrees with the heater off

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i just noticed this post, and mentioned is changing the water pump at 60k miles, my car is just shy of 56k, i'm going to get in touch with the garage i bought it from first thing tomorrow to see if there is any warranty, fingers crossed, faling that it looks like a trip to Euro Car Parts in trafford park [:(]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
If you're coming up to 60000miles and about to have the water pump done, you may as well have the cam belt done whilst you're there - they need to be done every 60000 too - you'll save on labour charges if they're done together

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok cheers i'll get that done too.

i just replaced the water pump on my mini too ?12 lets see the price difference shall we!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok cheers i'll get that done too.

i just replaced the water pump on my mini too ?12 lets see the price difference shall we!!
IIRC they are about ?25 and the belt will be about ?15
hopefully the garage will be kind enough to do them under warranty

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Result!!!! If I were you mate, I'd ask them if they'd change the cam belt and tensioners whilst they're at it. Might charge you a bit but it will be worth it for you and easy for them!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you're overheating, putting your windows down and heater on full will take heat away from the engine! If you're heaters are blowing cold, that means hot water isn't getting to your heater matrix. So I agree.....either your pumps gone or you don't actually have any water!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts