Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some "play" in the steering on the Mkiv, its done 125k hard miles now and a few trackdays so its not a surprise!

Recenlty had new tie rods and trackrod ends fitted, all brand new genuine parts, but the plays still there and I think is getting worse.

Hmmm, to describe it, imagine taking your key out the ignition and setting the steering rack....there is a very little bit of movement in the steering lock, only a few decrees, well ifg I wiggle the steering wheel, the road wheels wont move at all. I reckon there si only half a degree or so, but I notice it when hacking along the back roads, car is just not so planted as it was.

So any ideas, obviously the rest of thre rack could be at fault, but also the steering column maybe, (I know Mk2s develop some play in the shaft of the column, but not rotational play as such, just shaft movemernt up and down. This is rotational play, ie turn s wheel, road wheels dont turn.

Is there any sort of universal joint on the column, or will a rack change do it.?

BTW had new powerflex bushes and ball joints at the same time as the tierods done, only about 2k miles back.

cheers

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Rack mounting bushes or subframe mounts ?

I'm currently on my 4th set of lower arm bushes, 3 normal but now on TT items. Have read a few reports of the powerflex fronts not lasting to well either. Bear that in mind as it could be the lower arm bushes again, how long have the powerflexes been on ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mine feels the same at 127k, had new Eibach springs, dampers,anti roll bars, droplinks, topmounts, trackrods,wishbones, bottom ball joints and a new rack all in the past 6 months and it looks like the steering column is knackered. Going into garage on wed as its to cold for me to do it. But it may be the rack bush thats gone fingers crossed as a new column is about ?200.[:(]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
powerflex bushes been 9on only a few weeks.

I found a post on here about adjusting the play in the rack. Hope this does it.

The rack bushe's i'll check but doubt its them, not the right dort of loads that shows the play.===

Steering column bush.......where is that then? To me if its in the column, its a rotational play, so it seems like it may be a worn joint in the column, or something like that, NOT sort of up and down play in the column shaft, (ie a owrn bearing)

Anyone got an Etka blow up piccy of the column and sterring rack of a mk4.??

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorted it!

Ont he rear of the rack when you look from underneath, sort of under the part where the steering column joins the rack, there is a large "plug" with a 17 mill bolt head in the centre, the bolt head itself having a rubber plug in the middle. This is an adjuster for the drive on the rack, which takes the paly out. I turned mine in nearly a quarter of a turn it was that loose!! I did it until the steering was a little stiff, then backed it off a little. Steering is now noticeably more precise than before, all the shaking and knocking sensation through the wheel has gone, and the steering lock on shake test confirms the wheels now move with this minute deflection.

The plug is marked with green paint, mine was unadjusted form new. I punched it and marked it in position with a marker pen and will check it in a few weeks.

Thanks to this thread on here and particualry the last post ! I urge anyone wiht similar symptoms or sensation to try this before you spend your hard earned!!

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/197563.aspx

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Great news and noted for future ref.

This and that thread should go into the 'common problems' thread.

Glad you sorted it so easily, please report back on how it gets on.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can only take the credit for the search on here really!

But just done 300 miles in it and its perfect again, form a point of view of the knocking noise and feeling. BUt I did notice at slow speeds and full lock, the steering is maybe a little tight, so I intend to just back the adjuster off a few degrees.

INteresting that my dealer knoew nothing about it, and whilst I found a guy at AutoPS that knew there was an adjuster there, he said he'd never done one!!

I wonder how many new racks VAG have sold on the back of their dealers not adjusting this on an ongoing basis.........!??!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well the car is back from the garage and its the recon rack that i fitted that has play in it. What a pain in the a$$, so im going back to the motor factors tomorrow to complain and see what they can do for me. Also told the garage about the adjuster screw and they didnt know about it aswell, said there was one on the mk3 but never done one on a mk4.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ive had my local garage have a look at my 1.8t today as the steering feels vague, there is play in the steering wheel, and a knocking sound when checking the play in the steering wheel.(moving the wheel from side to side as in my vid below)

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/fuuzy_muz/?action=view&current=video-0002.flv - This is a vid of the play in my steering rack. You can also here the clunking noise.

The garage has suggested i have a new rack at ?150 (must be a recon one at that price) and 4-5 hours labour. About ?300 + vat

So i was wondering..... looking at the vid of the play in my rack, do you think adjusting the rack as stated below may solve my problem? Or do you think the rack may be too far gone to be adjusted?

Does the subframe have to be lowerd to adjust the rack?

Posted Image

If this fixes my problem i will be one happy man... and purchase the genius who found this info a few beers (paypal him some beer money[:D])

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/fuuzy_muz/?action=view&current=video-0002.flv

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mate it will definately help, but if the gear is work inside the rack too much, you may need a new one.

BUT, check out ebay, I got a brand new one just in case, genuine VAG for only ?75 delivered (?55+20 delivery!) Its the same part number for a skoda and and A3 too. Brand new, non recon, so check out the bay! I have seen others go for similar money, even quicker TT racks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did your 1.8t have as much play as mine?

Is the part number the same for all 1.8ts (Mines an ARZ), if so whats the part no?

cheers matey[:D]

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why didnt i find this post a while ago :( i had some play in my rack and didnt know it was adjustable so went and got a recon one and fitted it. Could of saved myself loads of cash grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
this guide looks brilliant!! i have a bit of play in mine, the garage were no use. i have located where this adjuster is, but its a pig to get to with the car on the ground. i have no way to properly get to it though which is a pain!!

great find [Y]

·
Registered
678 Posts
mmuuzzyy where did you get thaty illustration from. I have a mate in VW who refuses to belive me about this, he's never heard of it!! He is also dubious about touching anything like this incase he buggers it up!?

Cheers, Sam

·
Registered
333 Posts
mmuuzzyy where did you get thaty illustration from. I have a mate in VW who refuses to belive me about this, he's never heard of it!! He is also dubious about touching anything like this incase he buggers it up!?

Cheers, Sam
Simch posted the link to it a few posts up..... all ive done is put the picture up on this thread.[:D]

·
Registered
347 Posts
glad i noticted this thread! have just changed top mounts and lower arms, and still had a slight knock. adjusted the 17mm nut just now, and has improved it no end, feels much more solid on the road (although there is a little play in the wheel when stationary). ultimatley i will probably change the rack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts