Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Sellys or Loktite AllPlastics superglue on various brittle plastic bits which brake. Mostly works well, but if first attempt fails, there's no going for a second attempt.

However this costs AUD10 (almost 6 quid) and I only get 3 or 4 uses before the lid dries solid.

Standard superglue seems not to work.

Does anyone have other recommendations?
Font Box Battery Office supplies Advertising

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Depends on the location of the break.

Plastic weld if you've got the room, just use a soldering iron and a cable tie as your weld material.

If it's a tight spot then perhaps a bit of ordinary Loctite super glue, with some metal or extra plastic material placed on top to brace the broken part.

If it's a part that doesn't need to be held solid, then I've also used polyurethane sealant. Think of it as a rubber glue.

·
Registered
947 Posts
been there, done that, you can't join two cracked plastics pieces end to end and glue them together like that - they will break there again. I should say - in my limited experience that's happened. Then you can;t glue them any more because they're no longer a clean surface. You need to get another plastic piece to glue to the backs of both parts. Ideally epoxy. epoxy has some flex to do which is what body panenls need. superglue is too brittle.

Maybe something like isopon fastglas would work well?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts