Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me if this has been discussed before but soon I'll be in the market for a new telly. I'll be after a flat screen probably Toshiba / Panasonic / JVC make in a 37inch.

Depending which retailer you speak to depends on what advice you get, ( and what product they want to sell ) Some swear by plasma others by LCD.

Can anyone offer impartial advice as to the best make or whether plasma or LCD is the way to go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hello i bought i a samsung 32' high defination LCD tv with built in freeview the other day, i purchased it from a shop called AJ electronics, i paid ?630 for it. The currys price and other retail stores was well over ?800, from what i have noticed and been told, the plasma tv's are more expensive and not that better picture quality and also if you plan on fitting your tv to the wall like i have you have to be a very strong person to lift it as the plasma tv's weigh a ton, thats because the majority have glass screens where as most LCD's don't they are some sort of plastic. I may be wrong but this what i was told..

Aiden

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm about to buy an LCD tv at the mo and have spoken to a lot of shop assistants and read a lot of reviews. The main piece of advice is that if you want a tv bigger than 32" then you should get plasma. The technologies employed for LCD pictures are not quite good enought yet to produce a good non-jerky picture on a 37"/40" and above. It used to be that 26" was the biggest that manufacturers could make a good LCD panel, but now 32" are very good. I have looked at a lot of them and have settled for a Panasonic TX32LXD600. There aren't many of them in stock anywhere at the moment but the picture is fantastic, very deep blacks and no colour banding on large sheets of colour.

A couple of bits of info I have picked up is that Samsung make the LCD panels for Sony. So a Samsung LCD TV is a good TV which has Samsung's own software running on the same screen as a Sony but at a lot less money. Saying that though I have found the picture on a Samsung very sharp to look at. Also if you go to a shop and they have a HD feed to the TVs ask them to switch to an SD feed so that you can see the standard of picture. A good channel to test them on is Sky Sports News as the ticker at the bottom shows up any 'motion' problems when the text is scrolling a good test of the quality of an LCD tv.

There are a few good resources on the web I've found for reviews and info:

http://www.avforums.com/

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The debate still goes on. LCD TVs have got a lot better recently displaying blacks.

Could I recomend www.avforums.co.uk for loads of info on the two types of technology and impartial reviews of TVs.

Personally I have just ordered a Panasonic TH42PX60 Plasma from John Lewis on a price match at ?1015 with 5 years warranty. At that price it was a steal as it is a highly reviewed HD Plasma.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The debate still goes on. LCD TVs have got a lot better recently displaying blacks.

Could I recomend www.avforums.co.uk for loads of info on the two types of technology and impartial reviews of TVs.

Personally I have just ordered a Panasonic TH42PX60 Plasma from John Lewis on a price match at ?1015 with 5 years warranty. At that price it was a steal as it is a highly reviewed HD Plasma.
Good buy mate, With the TV I just bought I got a standard one years warranty with it, For an additional 2 years Samsung warranty they wanted ?284 or something stupid like that! To pay ?1015 and got 5 years warranty is excellent! Great buy!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Good buy mate, With the TV I just bought I got a standard one years warranty with it, For an additional 2 years Samsung warranty they wanted ?284 or something stupid like that! To pay ?1015 and got 5 years warranty is excellent! Great buy!!<o:p></o:p>
That is what I thought, Novatech locally are doing it at ?999 plus delivery and that is supposed to include 5 Years warranty from Panasonic (but I couldn't find them listed as part of the deal at the Panasonic website). So I rang my local JL and asked if they would pricematch and they did and they give 5 years warranty with all TVs.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I can also vouch for the 42PX60 - got it from Richers pricematched from Gultronics in London. I'd heard a lot of people getting hassle regarding PM's with John Lewis, as they insist on sending someone to the PM store to validate its actually physically there at the price. Richers just phoned up on the spot.

Its an excellent TV, I also researched the hell out of it before diving in.

There is a huge LCD v Plasma debate, but its generally accepted that plasma offers better blacks and motion than LCD, and that if you are considering 37" or more, then plasma is definitely the way to go.

And yes, avforums.com is the spot to get all your info

·
Registered
894 Posts
Most manufactures have moved on to LCD for 37 inch screens, with the exception of Panasonic, so you choice is probably limited.

Your best bet is to get out to the shops and let your eyes decide, have a look at the Panasonics, Sonys and Samsungs.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Plasma prices have really dropped in the last year which would be enough to sway me. I bought a 42" Panasonic PHD8 last year for just over 2k. This year the new model is going for ?1400 which is an absolute bargain. Personally I'm not a massive fan of lcd's as they don't look 'natural' but the most important thing to do is go look at the screens yourself.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Is it also the case that plasmas have to be re-gassed every so often, as i once heard from a friend who bought one?

Those who are looking to buy one might want to look at www.empiredirect.co.uk, from past experience they're competitive on price, offer price match and currently a 3 year guarantee on everything over ?200

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The short life span was a teething problem with early primitive technology.

Things have come a long way since then.

We bought our 42" Plasma nearly 18 months ago from Richer Sounds. Its a JVC unit, so not the run of the mill rubbish (BTW beware of 'cheap' plasmas, everyone I know who bought one has had problems and screens have gone back). Considering the RRP of ours was ?3800, we paid less than half that, for a brand new, not ex demo, not graded, and this was at a time when Plasmas were still a novel concept.

You can now get 42" Plasmas in Tescos for less than ?800...They are so millstream they will probably be appearing in the boot installs of Saxos next season...

Ours has been faultless, the picture is superb, and together with a hefty AV setup, it really is a pleasure to watch TV/movies/music.

Read the reviews before you buy. They will tell you the ones to go for and not to. Then go and look see for yourself from a short list.

And dont forget, spend the money on cables, and the TV is only as good as the sources supplying it...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Got my Panasonic 32LXD600 yesterday and wow! how amazing are those picutres!! We haven't got an HD source yet but watching Planet Earth (which is filmed in HD) the clarity is scary. Oh dear! going to have to look on the Sky site now to upgrade our Sky+ to HD!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Got my Panasonic 32LXD600 yesterday and wow! how amazing are those picutres!! We haven't got an HD source yet but watching Planet Earth (which is filmed in HD) the clarity is scary. Oh dear! going to have to look on the Sky site now to upgrade our Sky+ to HD!!
Good choice, I have the older 500 model.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Is it also the case that plasmas have to be re-gassed every so often, as i once heard from a friend who bought one?

Those who are looking to buy one might want to look at www.empiredirect.co.uk, from past experience they're competitive on price, offer price match and currently a 3 year guarantee on everything over ?200
They aren't likely to need gassing at all as most people won't keep them long enough to need it. You're looking at 60,000 hours on a good screen now.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I know the ?10 extra a month isn't so bad but the ?299 upfront for the box is a bit much at the moment but you do get a 160GB disk which is better than my current 20Gb. Will probably wait til after christmas to see if Sky do any deals.

Has anyone got Sky HD, and if so do the HD programmes take up more disk space than SD programmes on Sky+

·
Registered
894 Posts
Most dealers are $ky HD for ?149 if you buy a new TV, where did you buy yours from.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I know the ?10 extra a month isn't so bad but the ?299 upfront for the box is a bit much at the moment but you do get a 160GB disk which is better than my current 20Gb. Will probably wait til after christmas to see if Sky do any deals.

Has anyone got Sky HD, and if so do the HD programmes take up more disk space than SD programmes on Sky+
I don't have Sky (of any flavour) but would hazard a technical guess and say yes, the extra info on a HD datastream is going to increase the size of any recorded program.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts