Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow is all I can say! Ordered an LCD TV from pixmania on saturday, paid for it via credit card and asked for it to be sent to my parents place (I'm never in to take delivery and my dad is).

Have had no end of trouble with this! They wanted documents to prove I lived there, my drivers licence and passport with nothing edited out. I obviously said no. Gave them ID for my present address, which is where the card I used for payment relates to. Not good enough.

Bit check this out for customer service:

Me replying to the first email:
"Please find attached.

I have ordered the same television for a friend, as he doesnt have a credit card and he has given me the cash. If I get his acount number, would this be sufficient for his account also? Otherwise we would need to cancel the order. With the tesco card I use, I have to go through another security feature anyway, Tesco's own anti fraud security.Thanks,Graham."His reply:
"We require id that relates to the delivery address"My reply:
" Hi, I haven't got any ID in my name for that address, it's my parents house. I'm out at work all day, so can't take delivery. The ID that I sent you relates to where the credit card used is registered, i.e. my address. "His reply:
"we are therefore cancelling your order and forwarding your details to the anti fraud department, regards"My reply:
"Pardon!? I just want my TV delivered to my parents house so they can take delivery!! I've proved I own the card, you haven't answered my question about my friends TV....what sort of company is this? Feel free to report me, but I haven't a clue what I have done wrong! Please cancel my order and close my account. I don't wish to use yourselves again"His reply:
"I have found a listing for your father at the delivery address and on this occasion I will process the order, regards"

WTF!! Nice customer service! Then get an e-mail saying it's ready to be dispatched....even though I told them to cancel it and close my account!

On the plus side, excellent prices!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Why do they need ID for a delivery address?! I have pretty
much everything I order off the internet delivered to work and no ID I
possess has my work address on it!!

I was going to buy an LCD TV
from Pixmania a couple on months ago but they sold out just before I
placed the order - ended up getting the same one from Dabs for even
cheaper!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
This is hugely common in light of recent changes to the law regarding money laundering regulations and the strict monitoring firms are now expected to do. Stolen cards are frequently used to buy stuff online and delivered to a different address; the thief then makes sure hes there for delivery and scarpers, with no record of who he actually was should the card turn out to be nicked. I am suprised you are complaining, its to protect you and your card from fraudlent transactions.

Its about 50:50 these days on the net for firms which will allow different delivery addresses.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Normally, all first purchases will have to go to the card-holder's address. Once this has been proved as okay, all subsequent purchases can be sent to alternative addresses.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is hugely common in light of recent changes to the law regarding money laundering regulations and the strict monitoring firms are now expected to do. Stolen cards are frequently used to buy stuff online and delivered to a different address; the thief then makes sure hes there for delivery and scarpers, with no record of who he actually was should the card turn out to be nicked. I am suprised you are complaining, its to protect you and your card from fraudlent transactions.

Its about 50:50 these days on the net for firms which will allow different delivery addresses.
Fair enough. But why couldn't he just say that instead of what he said!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Guess these are the potential cons of using a non-UK based companies just for that little bit of saving for your purchase. Must agree their customer service is very poor though.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess these are the potential cons of using a non-UK based companies just for that little bit of saving for your purchase. Must agree their customer service is very poor though.
It wasn't a small saving. £582 delivered for a Samsung 32" HD ready, 8ms response time and 3000:1 contrast ratio (which is absolutely excellent in terms of the price).

Couldn't get that anywhere else for less than £799

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I will never touch Pix Mania again.  They send you a grey import and when you try to send it back / contact them, you are given the run around for ages.  Plus you have to DHL the product back to France.  They are a complete nightmare to deal with.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Unfortunately due to the amount of On Line credit card fraud its very hard for a customer to have his delivery anyother place then his registered card holders address... Your problem has been with Pixmania's customer service which are based in Paris and have different teams speaking different languages.

You might save some money with them, but you'll have absolutely no customer service once they have their money.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have comapny cards and home cards.... it is is virtually impossible to have different delivery addresses these days to the cardfs registered address, its all anti-fraud you see.

Its a pain for me as I often buy things and plan to have them delivered to a branch but it aint possible as the branch isnt the head office, were the card is registered too... get used to it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It wasn't a small saving. £582 delivered for a Samsung 32" HD ready, 8ms response time and 3000:1 contrast ratio (which is absolutely excellent in terms of the price).

I have the LE32R74BDX and it was under £799 (well admittedly £750 [:p])

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I have the LE32R74BDX and it was under £799 (well admittedly £750 [:p])
And thats what I'm getting at, £582 is quite a saving! Whats the TV like? You please with it?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm confused mate, do you have some sort of discount code? The closest I could find on the site was the B at near to your price (same I believe but without freeview and looks slightly different with a 1000:1 contrast ratio instead of 5000). Could you shoot me a link as my brother is after the same set as me.

The TV is great, HDMI looks amazing but if I was doing it again I'd get a Sony Bravia for an extra £2-300. Built in sound is quite poor, digital tuner is great, I'm on my second set as my 1st one turned up with scratches on the piano black face (tribaluk were great and picked it up and I had a replacement within a week).

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/388982/art/samsung/32-lcd-16-9-82-cm-hd-read.html

Not sure if the TV is avaliable in this country. But the ones that were, couldnt come close. The ratio is 3000:1, not 5000.

I did a lot of TV shopping last Saturday and both myself and my mate ended up going for this TV. We decided in the end that HD wasn't even worth it and to include those non HD, but ended up with this, both of us. Can't get close for the price to anything else of the same quality and a leading brand.

HD for both of us in the end seems a waste of time. Sky has roughly 5-6 HD channels. One of them the BBC preview and the box is £299, insallation (which you have to have) £60 and an extra £10 per month. For 5-6 channels? no thanks! Blue ray players are still around the grand mark and discs will be hard to source etc. The only thing is the Xbox. But I dont have one and dont plan on getting one. By the time HD becomes affordable, or at least at a price people are willing to pay, it will be new TV time again!

However, couldn't find a non HD one at a decent price with a half decent spec.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You could be right mate, I've never seen that set before in my life. Good deal all the same assuming it has some sort of warranty.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You could be right mate, I've never seen that set before in my life. Good deal all the same assuming it has some sort of warranty.
Yer, don't think it's avaliable to us. It's going to come with a eurpoean plug, thats the only downside and french manuals, but who needs tha manual! Thats what the internet is for.

The warranty is a standard warranty with samsung. As long as you can prove when you bought it then they have to honour it. Also bought it on my credit card which means I have an instant 1 years warranty (don't know how the credit card does it, but applies to all, new electrical goods).

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yer, don't think it's avaliable to us. It's going to come with a eurpoean plug, thats the only downside and french manuals, but who needs tha manual! Thats what the internet is for.
Tell that to my friend who lent me his Panasonic camcorder to play with then teach him how to use... I've managed to lose the manual (which is very unlike me [:$]) and the Panasonic web site doesn't have a PDF manual for this particular model - in any case I think he' want the original, proper printed manual.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

I'm with MikeDav. Its for your own protection. I have ordered things and asked for them to be delivered to work or my parents, only to be told its not possible for fraud reasons. Inconvenient yes, but sensible in light of all the fraud and scams. I would like to think that if my card or card number got into the wrong hands they would refuse delivery to any other address other than mine, and would ask for ID upon delivery and to see the card...

Things like plasmas, LCD TVs, digi cameras and high value electrical goods are in demand on the black market, hence are usually the target to buy with stolen cards etc, as they are high value and easy to move on.

I remember the hassle I had when I bought my screen at a shop, I had to show 2 forms of ID, sign forms, speak to my card company and answer security questions. Plus I got a letter from the people at the TV licencing advising me that they knew I had bought a new TV!

As for buying a TV online, I am weary, as it is usually a bummer to get things sorted when it goes wrong, plus the hassle of it maybe turning up damaged etc. I'd rather have a shop I can go back to and threaten the salesperson.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Plus I got a letter from the people at the TV licencing advising me that they knew I had bought a new TV!
*%&$ing dictatorship goverrnment, stick it up your ar** you swines....this kind of thing really annoys me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts