Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering if there is any point of getting one of these, will it actually give a noticeable gain in power? Im about to get my PD 115 serviced and thought i might throw one in instead of a standard one.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
may give a bit of mid power mate! i think it worths doing it along with an exhaust system and maybe a remap?

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
it will be better in the long run as its cleanable = green if nothing else...but it should help it rev easier than a dirty old OEM filter( brand new OEM filter is probably the same powerwise). Some will say oil will contaminate the MAF! but its an ill founded old wifes tale, yet to be proved by science[C]

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are little to no gains to be had by changing your standard filter to any aftermarket ones.

I've persoanlly used both a standard filter and a K&N panel filter, I found no power increase whatsoever with the K&N. What I did find though was fine particulate on the intake side of the filter which means the engine and turbo had ingested some dust and dirt. You're standard panel filter will do a better job at filtration and gives you exactly the same power as any overpriced pointless panel filter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah just makes a different noise. Performance wise dont listen to these overestimated figures might see a very slight change in performance. I have a K&N one in my car atm might put a standard one in next time around.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Read this thread, pay particular attention to the poster that has put pictures up of a dyno run with and without a panel filter and also look at the picture of where he has split open both the filters and streched them out on the floor. the OEM filter is almost 2 3rds longer than the K&N filter and offers the same amount of performance. Makes sense to use OEM and have better engine filtration and protection.

LINK >> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=206642&page=3

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info..that last link was quite interesting and i think i will stay away from them and just stick to the plain old paper one!..thanks guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea same here,but in the bora i run a pipercross,thinking of getting rid tho,as ive quite a few cleaning bottles for a k&n pannel's [:S]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts