Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace the rear axle beam, will put pictures up later, quite a spectacle tbh. What will fit, are the rear beams universal, or do i need one specific for my car? Anyone have one around they want to sell? or know where i can get one cheap? Cheers, Craig

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PLEASE! someone? Going to breakers later, dont want them mucking me about. Cheers, Craig

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got one off a 1999 v5, bit rusty, but was £78 inc vat. Came with discs and calipers, basically was the whole assembly. Can i use the rear end as it is? Just saves me swapping the hubs and brakes.

Craig

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, i'd like to, but supposed to drive to wales tomorrow evening haha. currently have ns caliper off. is it do-able in a day? it will be an early start tomorrow, get everything swapped over, then to the garage for a quick once over, was a pretty big crash as im sure you can see, dont want anything else to be fucked tbh :L

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, because the crash was due to there being large amounts of grit/stones on the road (police verdict, not just mine) think i'd be able to claim anything back off the council? I know we can claim for pothole damage, dunno about claiming for spinning coming onto an A road due to grit though lol. The woman who i was going backwards next to's face was utterly priceless though.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It's do-able in less than half a day which is what you want because you will probably want to get the tracking checked and make sure that wheel is still balanced and true before you head off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the wheel is in two pieces... :L

will wack a pick up of the remains. got half the lip sitting infront of me. Inner and outer, inner hit the axle beam haha. Back to steels! On the bright side, as im off to wales, the steels have fuel saver tyres on ;) no grip atall though,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, anyone happen to know if you need to remove pads to get calipers off? got my caliper about half way off then was like, hang on. really dont want to move now haha.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well it doesn't have to, but if it don't come out I don't what the complication is. Just remove the pads and then remove the caliper. Simples

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, axle beam replaced, all is ok it seems (apart from a possibly dragging brake caliper ;(. Need 2 17" old style RS4 replicas. Mine were the ones made in italy (BK i believe) but yeah, 17x7.5 ET35 5x100. If anyone knows of anyone, or has a pair lying around, let me know!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Looks like your car got away pretty lightlly considering what could of been.

You have just put my effort at axle bending to shame.

So what car did you end up getting a replacement from? Mine is off a beetle, fitted new bushes to it before fitting too [Y]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1999 v5 mine came off ;) Alloys are dead, well two of them, and i cant find 2 replacements haha. yeah, was pretty horrific really, donald ducked the near side rear on the central reservation. never good really. Was down to loads of grit on outside of a corner, was like being on ball bearings, even police agreed.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Ok cool, at least its fixed lol.

So no damage behind the other alloy you damaged?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
luckily no, toe was out by 1 degree, cause i got the tracking done on a hunter they still charged me £85 even though the rear end was perfectly straight haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts