Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Unless there's a big chunk missing somewhere, it's not going to be obvious at all!

It's gonna be real hard, if not impossible to tell what is wrong just by looking at the pics! [:(]

P.S. I'm gutted for you! [:'(]

·
Registered
829 Posts
There are signs of a blown head gasket - burnt oil between No's 3 + 4, and there's evidence of unwanted oil / water in No's 2 + 3 cylinder. Not good, depends on what happened at the bottom end with contaminated oil etc.

What mileage?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went into volkswagen to get checked as i was selling the car and had to wait 6 weeks for her to get the money but got deposit so i put the car in the garage untill she got the car as i bought my new car! so 5 weeks later i went to start it and make sure it was fine and i noticed it was chapping and getting worse so put it into garage and 4 hours later at ?60 an hour to find out that they were saying that there was low compression on cylinder 2 and found exhaust valve and manifold cracked and no2 piston low! not good they said its needing a new engine and were wanting 5k to fit brand new one!!!

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Well if it's an S reg you don't want to be spending ?5K on a new engine, doesn't insurance cover anything like this?

·
Registered
354 Posts
What were the symptoms, using oil/water, milky oil filler cap, loss of power???? more info needed i think to make any sort of [8-|]diagnosis.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
she was going 2 be buying it but since this happened just before i thought i better tell her and not sell her a duff! but shes just been on net slagging me since! it didnt have any of the obove problems and all that was wrong is that it was chapping! does any1 have an idea how much a second hand engine would be?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
OEm are sellin short engines... you need a top end re-build... check for piston slap by checking movement on the piston when its halfway down the pot... but I would imagine its ok... at the most a new set of shells in the bottom end.... re-buid the top end, re-seat valves, skim head etc... new head gasket and bolt it on... cant see anything tooo bad from the pictures.....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm... I've always found cars pretty straight forward... had alot of mecano and technical lego as a kid! might be worth buyin a manual perhaps... no mates in the industry? 

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry mate......do NOT go anywhere near a dealer on this! 5K for a new engine.......lmfao!

It does look fairly serious and it does look like the head gasket but there also appear to be some other problems with the valves....one appears to bent...almost imperceptibly.

Where in Scotland are you?

There is a great company in Stirling called Newmarket Engineering. They are fantastic at this kind of thing and will NOT charge you five grand! Sorry don't have the phone number.

Alternatively get an engine out of a crash damaged car...should cost you about 2K all in.

Hope this helps!

grievsey

1 - 20 of 42 Posts