Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of talk about "the interior looks so much better with an armrest"....I'm really not that bothered about an armrest, so begrudge paying ?115 for something I don't want, but if it really looks THAT much better I might consider it. So has anyone got pics with and without an armrest? Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lots of talk about "the interior looks so much better with an armrest"....I'm really not that bothered about an armrest, so begrudge paying ?115 for something I don't want, but if it really looks THAT much better I might consider it. So has anyone got pics with and without an armrest? Thanks.
As I pointed out in another thread, I honestly don't get the whole armrest thing and why people get so excited about them?!??
IMO they are big, cumbersome and get in the way when i'm driving. I'm not 105 years old, so I'm perfectly able to support my own arms! I drive a performance hatch, not a Rover 75, so I have no need for it.
I took the armrest out and slung it in the cupboard (to put back in when I come to sell it) and I bought the replacement OEM non-armrest cupholder panel, which IMO is much better. I did it this way because for some bizarre reason people seem to love the armrest, so I will put it back in when I sell. Bizzarly ?115 now could help you sell the car at a later date.​

It's all very odd if you ask me.​

·
Registered
19 Posts
The armrest in my old Toledo V5 was a real pain unless you were cruising on the motorway - the first hint of a gearchange and it had to be flipped up. It also developed a rattle and had to be left up, with the lid open onto the back seat to cure it! I don't miss it in my GTi, the big storage holes are excellent for my phone, cuppa and some sweets. Perhaps that makes me an old man!

On the other hand, my wife had an X-Type Jag and it suited the armrest perfectly - despite being a manual, it never got in the way of the gearstick as it could slide back and forth. Something about that car just begged for a bit of leisurely driving that the SEAT and GTi don't/didn't though!

Calum

·
Registered
372 Posts
I only use mine on the motorway, most of the time its in the vertical position between the seats, then I forget its there and try to put my hand through to get things of the back seat[:S]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments, and I agree with the sentiments, but has anyone got any pics with and without? Many thanks all!![:)]

·
Registered
46 Posts
check back here at about 10 and i will have some pics of the mkv with arm rest.

the design on the mkv armrest is very good i think personally, it doesnt get in the way, and its a nice luxury to have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is out of my mk5, guna change it soon for an arm rest as soon as i can find some one that has one in stock. Iv found 3 different types thow!1 has a 12v power out let on the front, 2nd has no storage under the armrest, 3rd has a teloscopic pull out arm rest?any idears as to which mite be a vw origional part, as all the above say they are?
Posted Image

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would say the OEM one is the armrest with the telescopic forward slide.

Not seen a MKV armrest with a power socket mounted on the front or one without any storage underneath.

Perhaps they were for a non-UK market ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thort so! just checked and one was on a usa site!?does any one out there have a uk site that mite have one in stock.Bin to vw yest and they have to order one from out of the country? or so they say.cheers for the reply!

·
Registered
60 Posts
here's my armrest, it also slides forward as has been said. had armrests in my pug307 and liked them so when offered one i took it. hope the pics help..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice one!!! Looks tonnes better! thats just what im after!! you look like you have the same cloth interiar, would you know what the colour was so i can match the armrest to the seats etc.... also is that the roler shutter drinks holder? what colour roler hav you got! as i ended up with a black lid? even thow i explained my interior was grey??

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
For 'armrest' read 'Armrest, covered drinks holder, bottle opener (well sometimes), rear passenger air vents, rear cup holders.

The Mk V armrest is nothing like the Mk 4 which was, in common with Audis of the tyme, a sort of 'floating in mid air' hinged pad. The Mk V type is much more 'built-in' and the covered recess for drinks is a very classy touch compred with what you get if you do not lay out the ?115.

VAGparts.com sell these as aftermarket items.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi

Anthracite Brick Cloth is what mine is, i only found the drinks holder thing when i took pics of it for you and as you see the inside of it is black if that's what you meant? just stuck a tin of coke into it to show it off as it mightn't have been clear what it was in a pic. if i can help any more give me a holler.

Willie

ps ye can see the front drinks holder beside handbrake and the VW bottle opener,

·
Registered
149 Posts
Got a slite problem? Is your armrest one from a vw stealers or an internet company?I have two pictures and one is like yours from tm tuning and one is second hand from Ebay.Im after putting the ipod adaptor in the armrest, so need to insert the plastic unit?Yours has one big hole where as in the other pic its split into two compartments?
Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi

How's it going with your ashtray?

If you're thinking of an armrest:

Hi

I bought a brand new armrest from a german VW dealer on Ebay

http://stores.ebay.de/VW-Audi-Originalersatzteile-Steiner_Mittelarmlehnen-MAL_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ8714879QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Who had several in stock for 209.99 Euro (approx) ?150 inc postage to the UK. Have also bought the cupholder from VAG parts. went to stealer to ask about fitting, what a bunch of idiots they knew nothing about connecting the rear vents. so I ended up peeling the console back, now going to place an order for the Air ducts to make the rear vents work (from a different stealer. The part No. is 1KO 819 633 the pipe wok for the rear vents are shut off just below the dash near the controls for the air con. they sit above the pipe work for the floor vents.

Update:

Now all fitted, very happy, total cost:

1x Armrest ?145.98 (VW AutoHaus Hans Steiner) Ebay

1x Cup holder with sliding cover and bottle opener ?20.45 (VAG PARTS)

1x Duct Pipe for rear vents ?7.85 (Local VW DEALER)

1x Trim piece which was damaged on removal ?4.22 (Local VW DEALER)

?178.50 obviously more expensive than factory fit, but worth it

If you want to have an ipod dock you will need a different plastic cover, as the one above has one large storage compartment. The ipod version has 2 compartments although you will need the adaptor dock and CD lead to the radio. I didn't opt for this as the adaptor sells for about ?180 + ?20 for the lead.

I went for the adaptor in the glove box

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi

I think the one with 2 compartments is the one that takes the 6 disc autochanger from what i remember, i got a usb connection and its fitted in the glovebox. it came with the car direct from VW.

Willie...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi

I think the one with 2 compartments is the one that takes the 6 disc autochanger from what i remember, i got a usb connection and its fitted in the glovebox. it came with the car direct from VW.

Willie...
What he said theres two different types. The one for the 6disc changer/ipod/usb with a DIN slot as well as a small cubby and the other one with just a larger cubby hole.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You are a star!!!??? ?? ?Bin debating wether or not to get the second hand one off Ebay, but he wants ?260 inc delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill keep looking!Guna want to vent the back, so thanks for the extre sort code!!!And exchange my black roler cup holder for the anthrasite grey.Ashtray hunt went well, got one with a carbon effect lid and surround! guna wang them and get matching Individual Aluminium (gun metal grey metal not plastic sprayed.) Diddnt get the internal black plastic tray so to the stealers i must go!Is the venting easy to do?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi

If you want to connect the rear vents, you will require plastic duct pipe (1K0 819 633). You need to remove the whole centre console right up to the front of the ashtray. You will find the blocked of ducts. Job is fairly easy, although I did have a slight problem trying to put the ESP switch back after the metal retaining clips fell off.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts