Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pics of one on 18" please,  maybe picking one up on Tuesday instead of the black one I ordered due to availability and getting nervous about the colour,  its colour coded too so should look good but had just got my head around to having a black one then this turns up - too impatient to wait,  some pics please.....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Don't worry, Steel Grey looks very good on the GTI. I think a car can look too bland if it's all one colour, or in the case of the GTI, red is nice but then the red grille stripe is a bit lost. The Steel Grey has a nice blend of different colours that all look "right" on a car, giving it a hint of sportiness and elegance without being garish.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
See, it's just a personal opinion here, but that just looks really drab and dreary - like a really bad summer day (pick one from recently). It's not exciting like the red, black or silver in anyway, it's just, well... yeah, I can't even find a word [:(]

(Sorry, don't mean to p*** on your bonfire or anything, every has their own taste!)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think the colour gives it a "stealth" effect; I'm not generally a fan of grey cars but imo it suits the shape of the MKV.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers all for the pics and positive comments, the steel grey is a little different for me as my first choice was diamond black but the waiting list just doesnt justify it for me, I was offered a 'flat' black one for next week also but this only had 17" and was a standard car, no arm rest rest etc..so I talked the manager of the dealership into selling me his newly delivered demo - 350 miles,colour coded steel grey, 18", 6 CD, armrest and he is having the standard black one!!!

I am more than happy with the deal which is better than the original one I gained( discount plus excellent px, fuel, dog guard) and perhaps this time around it will be good to have something a bit different colour wise - I love the look of the one at the ring so it works for me - each to their own :)

Thanks again - Roll on Tuesday...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm afraid I have to err on CkBs side... in 3 dr form it looks very boring IMHO [:(]

BTW, anyone know whos that is as its from my local dealer (Motorworld @ Kidlington, Oxford)?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the colour gives it a "stealth" effect
I meant Matt, sorry mate, didn't see you sneak in there, going blind in my old age [:$]
Got ya !

I now have my fingers in my ears (or should that be hands over my eyes?!?) and I'm not listening to any more negative comments - I'm sensitive you know!!! - It's grey and I will love it once its here, I hope :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
At the end of the day its gonna be your pride an joy an as long as you are happy with it thats all that matters [:D] In real life (so to speak) the 5dr grey GTI (only grey i have seen) looks great so perhaps the pics dont do it justice [:)]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
BTW, anyone know whos that is as its from my local dealer (Motorworld @ Kidlington, Oxford)?
If you mean the pics that I posted then it belongs to Steve Kirk - editor of Golf +. He came to the Nurburgring with us last weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Spin,

piccy here of someone picking up a Steel Grey pride & joy...

http://www.tyresmoke.net/gallery/albuv11

Dunno if its on 18" though.
Hi Scotw, yep, that's my 5 door steel grey picked up from Ridgeway VW in Reading, on standard 17" rims. I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion as to colour, and some may find it "drab". I'd had lots of mates who experience problems from morons scratching their pride and joy, and their cars were all very noticeable sports cars in red and black. I'd rather leave my first really hot motor wherever i want and not worry about vandals being attracted like flies to a lightbulb.

It looked truly mint in the showroom in steel grey, and when the sun shines on it, it glows. in hindsight that Focus RS Imperial blue colour they do the GTI in, may have been a better choice, but I still LUV it!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Martin!

News to me. Nice choice. Won't look drab with some Zymol or Swissol on it. Nice choice. And before you ask I have my car back.........ish!

James [:D]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well said Chalky.

The pictures of the car on the ring don't do it justice, am assuming the car would have been dirty by the time it got there, in sunlight or showroom if its clean it gleams, some nice pictures of Mags' car .....

www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/245832/ShowPost.aspx

I'm quite happy now, diamond black would still have been first choice but Steel grey is a close second - IMO dark metallic colours always look more expensive if not as 'sporty' as red & anyway there's always the chance to have black next time around when the GTi is not so rare and the marketing guys at VW cut the crap and the waiting list. In the meantime my shiny steel grey GTi is ready for collection so roll on tomorrow - let the fun & petrol bills commence......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts