Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2001 1.8t today won on an ebay auction so obliged to buy it, the faults I have found so far are:

the idle is erratic, engine speed goes up and down by about 500rpm, when it drops down all the headlamps etc dim (even while driving)

First gear sounds really funny almost raspy like a nice exhaust note

A mate put it on his bluepoint diagnostic machine and got two codes 1296 ECT sensor

and 0172 system too rich bank 1

there is a ticking from the engine bay that sounds a bit like a duff ht lead arcing, looked for a spark but cant see one

electric mirrors dont work

I thought all 2001 GTI's had the computer that shows MPG etc but this is just black

The milage readout is corrupted as is the clock but if I press the cables firmly into the back of the clocks they return to normal. let go and they go funny again

The wiper stalk is either faulty or im doing something wrong. I cant turn the wipers of without wobbling the stalk for ages

Pressed the eject button on the cd and the unit went backwards leaving the facia behind :D

All in all a really good initiation into the world of VW lol...that said, I really kind of like this car!

Any insights into repairing any of the above would be very helpfull :D

Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
no legal obligation to buy something thats not exactly as described

take it back with said diagnostics report and get your money back if you feel it's not economical to repair depending on the purchase price

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a private sale :( I'd like to know what it would cost to get it fixed i think. I always expect problems with any second hand car, just didnt expect so many. Oh I forgot to mention it has a dump valve on it of some sort too which I believe is bad if its the wrong type. It sounds stupid too, like a bus door opening so I would need to get that taken off! It also had 18" wheels which will be going asap as it makes the ride uncomfortable. I got it for a good price so it depends I guess what else its going to cost.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The ticking could be the carbon/charcol canister. It's normal this ticks and it's there to filter out excess fuel fumes I believe?

I think all should have the computer - could the clocks had been replaced to hide/sort the issue with the connections?

Sounds like the CD unit hasn't been clipped in properly or the plastic it clips into has been damaged.

Loads of issues I know but it's not all bad - some easy fixes. It's now nearly 10 years old and hopefully you got a good deal and have a few quid to spend on bits!

ATB

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a few quid left over, have about £500 to get it right, I'm hoping that enough.

The panel does look LCD is but its just black, is that what it would look like unpowered? I figured it would look grey like the clock.

Its not all bad I hope :D I have a litre of vodka and its Christmas tomorrow :p

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Trade sale or private, if it was advertised and the faults you found weren't mentioned then you were under no obligation to buy the car, despite actually winning the auction. However, as you actually paid for it and accepted it then I don#t know where you stand. Personally, I would've walked away as soon as I checked it over and found out what faults there were.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok think I have found another problem, through the ignition positions there is no engine light that comes on prior to starting the car. I'm guessing that the clocks have been altered to turn this of and possibly turned off the computer too?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't even know where the fusebox is yet :D will look tomorrow, thanks guys and happy Christmas to you all

·
Registered
988 Posts
omg, a bad shape 1.8t is not gonna be cheap to fix, they can be a nightmare (sorry to say on xmas eve lol)

i'd really try to either give it back or sell it on...

also a BOV if it vents to atmosphere instead of recirculating like the stock valve - will cause the engine to run rich (mainly around shifts), and thats one of your fault codes maybe...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
rough idle may be due to the atmospheric dump valve. And as mentioned may also be the reason to one of your fault codes. i would change the dump valve to a recirculating one and clear the codes and see how it runs, also clean teh throttle body. lots of guids on the internet

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
988 Posts
No, if the spring pressures etc are not correct you could damage the turbo, buy either a proper oem bosch one (2nd hand or new) or buy a 'forge 007p' (about £70 new) which is an after market upgrade valve (most people who remap their cars use that valve).

edit

lol the ebay link you posted above is also a blow off valve that vents to atmosphere, same as what you already have on the car. you need a 'diverter valve' aka 'recirculation valve'

Also for the record, bailey are not a cheap chinese brand, its a good manufacture.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i have to put up with the doors opening on a bus sound from now on lol

I'm nearly 40! I'll have to get a disguise :/

Does anyone have one to sell...please :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank god lol, sorry for all the dumb questions folks. The link I posted is the valve that's on there now, that's what i was saying sorry I've had a few voddies :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts