Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.8T really happy with it. Spent the day doing the little bits to it, fitting CD etc so it's not had a proper clean yet so just a boring quick photo...

Posted Image

I have a couple of minor problems, mainly electrical. I'm not getting any audible signal when I open the door with the lights on, which will be a problem somewhere between the door switches as the interior light also only works in the constantly on mode. Can anyone confirm if one of the door switches is not working then the whole system won't work? so if there is a problem on the drivers side, that would also stop the light/buzzer etc coming on if I open the pasanger door? as this is the case that neither door flicks the lighting or buzzer on, and I wouldn't expect there to be a problem on both sides.

Secondly, neither of the seat heaters work :( I think each seat has 2 elements? so it seems unlikely all 4 have gone, so hopefully something doable! I checked under both seats for the wiring (seemed most likely with it being 3 door) but it looks fine to me, no loose wires, though I only had a quick look as it's dark and cold. Checked the fuse which seems fine visually, it was 20amp which seemed a little low for heated seats? does anyone have any ideas what else to check other than those 2 things? have to go out in an hour or so to pick someone up and they would have been a nice luxury for the trip, ahh well.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hello mate...

nice gti!

i have the same problem with mine. have the lights on.. and when to drivers door is opened the buzzer does'nt go off... or when the keys are out, and a door is open the drivers light in the door does not come on, unless you catch the door on the 'not open/closed setting' so to speak, then it makes the door light and the inside light come on... don't wanna go to the stealers to get it fixed... anyone out there that can help!!

cheers people

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that should be easy enough, will start by removing the switch from the door and check the wiring. I'm going to do that in the morning so will post back what I find on that. Just the heated seats I'm not sure what the possible problems could be aside from what I checked as I have never dealt with them before. Neither are major problems but just annoying.

Another thing was that I didn't get a spare key and I know they are going to be expensive from the stealers, although I believe you should have a tag with the key code to get a new one made but I don't have that either [:(]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
the door lock is a pig to remove mate.but could be thator maybe the CCM comfort control module(iv just started a post about my probs with it) it controls all the alarm/locks/lights i think. ill see what people say in my post too. also aboutthekey there is a lad on here aRd who is doing a group buy on keys at the mo and can program them too..

gray

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh really? cheers mate, will go and have a look at that, really need a 2nd key as I know I'm going to end up leaving it in the car while I wash it etc and it will lock me out. I will have a look at your thread too, hopefully it's not something too major.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I give up [:(] spent the whole day checking just about everything I can think of, all the wiring from the heated seats switch to where they plug in is all fine, I still don't think that all the elements would have gone. Every fuse is fine, I'm going to try checking what else doesn't work but need to read the manual first so I know what should happen. There is no door open warning on the dash, I want to check the alarm for when the doors are opened but as the car locks at the same time as the alarm being armed I don't know how. As I only bought it yesterday with a 3 month warranty, anyone know if all this will be covered by that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Golfgirl [:)]

Have been playing around with things tonight. The interior light comes on when I unlock the car, it also comes on when I remove the key from the ignition. The light in the boot comes on when I open that so is fine. The interior lights and the red ones set in to the doors fail to come on when either driver or passenger door is opened, there is no dash "door open" warning, there is no "lights on" buzzer when I open either door, after I lock the car, if I then unlock and leave it (don't open the doors) it doesn't lock its self back up, so as far as I know this would all suggest a problem with the microswitches in both doors (this is where i wish they used plunger switches) anyway, I have given the locking mechanisms on both sides a good dose of WD40 to see if they are just sticking, they were very dirty so with any luck, will check that in the morning. No doubt it will actually be much worse and require replacements on both sides [:(]

Going to attack the seats tomorrow too, there is power going in to them so I'm hoping that on both sides it's just a case of broken/loose wiring within the actual seat and not a case of all 4 elements being dead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I have a flat battery [:(] hopefully it's just because we had the ignition on for a while yesterday while trying to fix said problems and it's not just going dud. Not exactly the best start, neither of the heated seats working I could live with, but if none of the door operated electrics work and the battery is going to die that easily, think I'm going to have to go back to the dealer, hopefully this will be covered by the 3 month warranty they gave me. The car looks great but I'm so disappointed so far as I have not had a chance to drive it properly yet while I worry about getting it in perfect condition. I don't like the idea of taking it out and parking somewhere with the alarm not working [:S]

·
Registered
236 Posts
All these things should be covered under the 3 month warranty, unless you were told beforehand that these things didn't work, dont tell the dealer you've been 'poking around' else he (she)'ll blame you for everything. Heated seat elements in the MK III Golf were always burning out, I think there's 1 in each of the 'seat pads' and 1 in each of the backs, but to have all 4 go seems a bit strange. Can't help with the other stuff tho.

Take it back, or at least phone the dealer (is it a VW dealer??) to inform them of the problems.

You should be able to test the alarm by sitting in the car, blipping the remote to lock the car, wait 20-30 secs and start flailing your arms around, that should set it off - as long as the button at the bottom of the drivers B pillar is not set to by-pass the motion detectors....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the help, really appreciate it. No I wasn't made aware of any of the problems, the dealer (independant not VW) made a selling point of the heated seats, I just wasn't sure how to operate them or how effective they actually were to know if they were working or not, when I unlocked the door to inspect the car the interior light would have come on, so as I opened the door to get in, the light would have then been on so it didn't occur to me that there was a problem.

haha, OK so I have to wait 20 - 30 seconds? I sat in the car earlier flailing my arms around like an idiot with no result, wasn't aware there was a delay so shall try that again, though there still seems to be no way of testing if the door switch activated the alarm as the door is locked when the alarm is armed, but I guess as none of the other electrics which are activated by the door switches work, then the alarm is the same.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car will be going in, in the first week of Jan as they are booked up over Christmas and everything will be done under warranty [:D] they will also arrange for me a temporary car while it's in, much happier now.

On top of that, seen my mates for the first time in ages today as they just got home from Uni hehe [:p] didn't tell them about the new car, thought it would be much more fun to just turn up in it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tabs [:D] yeah great pressie for the car and my rear end [H] provided they can fix the heated seats.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good luck with the warranty work, make sure you know exactly what should work when you pick the car up, dont take any 'all Golfs do that' type of rubbish.

I on the other hand have to find someone to deal with my poor keyed Bora :eek:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[:S] not suffered some scumbag doing that before but has to be one of the worst things that can happen. Shame these pathetic chavs have nothing better to do.

Actually the first line the dealer spun me when I said none of the electrics operated by the door switches worked when someone opened either door was "it's probably a setting for the remote key which needs changing, easy to do it yourself" [:cool:] fortinatly they do have a really good rep as a local garage, I have checked just about everything and ruled them out leaving only a problem with each door module - sticking switch or cracked solder perhaps which seem common. He said when I take it in if I describe everything in detail, so hopefully won't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Your problem is the microswitch in the door mechanism.If you ope the door you will see the black plastic door catch.
When open this activates the microswitch that tells the comfort module to switch on the interior light, turn on the lights on warning buzzer,
and prime the fuel pump (yes once sorted you will hear the fuel pump buzz when you open the drivers door).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks mo, I will tell the garage to check this when I take it down there. It's probably something I could sort myself by checking if it's sticking and using WD40 to try and release it if thats the case, or re soldering any broken solders, it didn't work squirting WD40 in to the catch the other night, and I don't want to take it to pieces while under warranty. Just as well it's the holiday when drinking is compulsory and so we can't use our cars anyway [:D]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Unfortunately the easiest thing to do is replace the door lock mechanisms rather than than try and replace the microswitch.
I managed to replace my switch on mine but its not exactly the easiest of things to do, Dont see a garage wanting to do it
either, and the labour cost would come to more than replacing the switch.[;)]

As said this is the time of year to spend getting drunk and leaving the cars at home [Y]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts