Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am looking into tinting the windows on my Reflex mk4, id like to keep on the right side of the law but i am worried that getting light tints wont really be noticable? Would like to see a few pics first before i make up my mind whether to go ahead or not.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Tint level above looks too dark to me.

I've got 50% side windows and 35% rear which look pretty spot on IMHO, effective but not OTT.

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
50% all round,and yes I do know the rear quarters are a different colour.

Chris.

Posted Image
sorry off subject

[:|] what happend there???
Well,I parked it in the car park at Devils **** near Brighton,pointed my camera at it,pressed the shutter button,and it took a photo!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Well,I parked it in the car park at Devils **** near Brighton,pointed my camera at it,pressed the shutter button,and it took a photo!
Was it a joke camera filled with silver paint instead of water? [:p]

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just a word of warning for anyone with or thinking of getting tints.

My car had 60% tint on the sides (front and back) and to be honest didn't seem that dark.
On xmas eve I was stopped by the traffic cops who said they wanted a chat about my tints, after a few minutes they explained that the law is 25% max tint on the front sides with no max on the rears.
This was not a real problem in the past as there was no means of proving the % tint on the glass but now they have an electronic device which by putting 2 sensors on the window (1 inside and one out) they can accuratley measure the % tint (or % light allowed through the tint) and that was when I was told that the front side windows were only letting 40% light through instead of the legal requirement of 75% !![:O]

The outcome was a vehicle defect ticket and 2 weeks to remove the tints and get it checked and stamped ny an MOT station or a trip to court and a large fine, thanx a lot and merry xmas!!!![:mad:]

this is only a word of warning as this was a shock to me and made even worse as it was on xmas eve. At the end of the day you will more than likely never get pulled especially by bored traffic cops with nothing better to do but I thought it my duty to mention my experience.[;)]

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Or did you mean why is it two different colours? I don't know why,it was like that when I bought it,I only saw it at night before handing the cash over when it didn't show.It's had both rear quarters blown in for a reason I can't see,I've had all the panels out from the inside and I can see that it hasn't been in any sort of accident,so the back end must have been badly scratched at some time.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mk4t, and your lucky you got 2weeks to sort it out, my friend who is an officer in west yorks, was in the process of giving a VRN when they guy started with the lip so, one torn up VRN, and now sir two choices remove the tints now at the side of the road or we take you car, the guy smashed his windows and then drove off! ha ha, it was an extreme case it was limo tint on the front windows and at night you could see bugger al!

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Just a word of warning for anyone with or thinking of getting tints.

My car had 60% tint on the sides (front and back) and to be honest didn't seem that dark.
On xmas eve I was stopped by the traffic cops who said they wanted a chat about my tints, after a few minutes they explained that the law is 25% max tint on the front sides with no max on the rears.
This was not a real problem in the past as there was no means of proving the % tint on the glass but now they have an electronic device which by putting 2 sensors on the window (1 inside and one out) they can accuratley measure the % tint (or % light allowed through the tint) and that was when I was told that the front side windows were only letting 40% light through instead of the legal requirement of 75% !![:O]

The outcome was a vehicle defect ticket and 2 weeks to remove the tints and get it checked and stamped ny an MOT station or a trip to court and a large fine, thanx a lot and merry xmas!!!![:mad:]

this is only a word of warning as this was a shock to me and made even worse as it was on xmas eve. At the end of the day you will more than likely never get pulled especially by bored traffic cops with nothing better to do but I thought it my duty to mention my experience.[;)]
Your traffic cop was slightly wrong,this is the official exact wording copied from VOSAs document on this subject,these people are the governing body who actually set these standards.

Chris.

Why are tinted windows not included in the MOT test?

Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 as amended

specify the minimum levels of light that must pass through the

windscreen and front side windows. The limits are:

Motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985:

The windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of

light to be transmitted through them.

Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985:

The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.

The front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be

transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light,

then the vehicle does not meet legal requirements.

Is this a nationwide campaign?

What is excessively tinted glass?

Legally where do I stand?

Which windows in the vehicle does this apply to?

How does excessively tinted glass affect road safety?

What is the purpose of the law?

Yes. VOSA staff throughout the country have been issued with

testing equipment. If the equipment is not available, a subjective

assessment will be carried out. If the vehicle is considered

dangerous to drive then an immediate prohibition may be issued.

Excessively tinted glass is seen as a serious issue but one which

currently affects only a small number of the 24 million vehicles

tested annually. To include this item in the MOT test would require

all 18,000 garages to incur expenditure on special test equipment

and the time taken to carry out an MOT would increase. The MOT

fee would have to be raised to cover the extra time and investment.

This extra cost would affect all motorists - all for a small number of

vehicles. With the current levels of offending, roadside enforcement

is a better route as it targets the offenders while minimising the

cost and inconvenience to compliant road users.

or front side windows excessively tinted. You may also invalidate

your insurance with this modification, particularly as the vehicle

is likely to be illegal.

If you are a tinting company -

- You must not modify, or offer to supply, a part that when fitted

to a vehicle means that it does not comply with Construction &

Use Regulations.

If you?re selling a vehicle with extra tinting applied to the

windscreen or front side windows -

- The vehicle may now have glass that is darker than permitted by

Construction & Use regulations, in which case the vehicle should

not be sold.

The purpose of the law is to ensure the drivers? ability to see the

road is not excessively restricted by glass tint.

It restricts the driver?s vision, especially in dark conditions. This

may prevent drivers from seeing other road users or pedestrians.

It also prevents other road users and pedestrians from confirming

through eye contact that they have been seen.

The windscreen and the front side windows to either side of the

drivers? head.

If you are the driver -

- You must not drive a vehicle on the road with the windscreen

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is extreme but if you are lippy to the police they will just bang you to rights!! I do not think it is worth giving them loads of lip as this sort of thing is bound to happen.

Although I was peed off they are only doing their job at the end of the day. I have to say since removing the front tints and comparing the backs there is hardly any difference in light, oh well the law is the law!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Much appreciate the pics so far guys! Your tints all look really good, goes well against silver paint imo.

Gti Fly, did you notice much of a difference when you had your tints done? My concern is that the legal tint is so 'light' that I wouldnt really notice a difference and that ive wasted ?160ish?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Much appreciate the pics so far guys! Your tints all look really good, goes well against silver paint imo.

Gti Fly, did you notice much of a difference when you had your tints done? My concern is that the legal tint is so 'light' that I wouldnt really notice a difference and that ive wasted ?160ish?

Thanks again guys!
Yes there is a lot of difference to the car with tints now. From the outside, it does look tinted, but u can still see the faces of the passengers inside, so it's not tooooo dark from the outside.

Let's say it's noticeable.

My car looks lighter than other cars with the same light tints, because I have a white roof lining and also a sunroof, which makes the interior whiter anyway.

From the inside, tints make a slight difference, not much, and it won't affect your vision/ability to see out.

I'm 100% happy with the lightest tints, to me its not worth going any darker, because I guess it's more likely to attract the police.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you get the lighter tints then you may be dissappointed when there is sunlight coming in through the windscreen as it will look less noticable from the outside. Also looking from the rear 3/4 the car will only show one layer of tint viewing through the side or rear window and the windscreen. Looking from the front they will look darker as you will see through 2 tint layers of the side and rear screen. My wife is a little dissappointed in her bright red Aygo for these reasons but understands it's for the best when it comes to the police and it really is noticable when you see other similar cars. Personally I think still being able to see the windows gives a much more quality look rather than too close to being chavvy. Silver cars also need less tint to be noticable as there is a greater contrast with a light colour than darker body colours. Photos on here may help but at the end of the day you'll only get a real idea if you see a silver golf in the metal and see it under different lighting and from different angles.
Don't know if this helps much though [:cool:]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah that does help thanks, I agree seeing one in the flesh would definately help me decide. I need to find a silver car with light tints now though.

Im still unsure at the moment, I'll post up pics if I do go for them.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys [Y]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts