Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many reports of no-name LED sidelights off eBay burning out in a matter of weeks, or failing MOTs because they're too blue, I bit the bullet and dropped £40 on these PIAA Tera white LED sidelights (I'm seeing my psychiatrist next week). They had better be good. First impressions reveal exquisite quality and attention to detail. They consist of a plastic diffuser lens, single LED source (not clustered standard 3mm LED bulbs) and a metal radial heat sink type mid-section. I chose these because they specifically state a colour temperature of 4,500 Kelvin, which is very white but still on the correct side (warm/yellow) of D50, an industry standard reference for daylight at 5,500 Kelvin. Go beyond this and you'll start to get blue, which may look cool but will be a potential MOT fail (it has to be yellow or white, according to everything I have read so far).

Posted Image

As well as clear instructions, the kit includes a pair of resistors (also referred to as ballast packs in the blurb) to avoid overdriving the LEDs, pair of cable ties and crimp connectors for two possible methods of connection. It's all designed so you can revert to standard filament sidelight bulbs at any time.

Finally I'd like to commend PRI Racing for excellent service once again. Check out their store, http://www.priracing.co.uk

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,444 Posts
Whoaaa - nice find, hope they are as good to look at when fired up ------- may be tempted myself  

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I hope they are better than the PIAA LED sidelight bulbs I fitted (a different spec!). They are not bright enough (way worse than OEM) and I have bought some Osram Cool Blue conventional bulbs to take their place. These should match the brightness and colour of the HID kit I have. [:^)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't fix my car and it's gone to hospital so this is the best I can do. A correctly-exposed, unretouched photo of a single bulb in total darkness, after my persistence of vision faded enough for me to be able to see where I put my camera. I can confirm the metal section is indeed a functional heat sink, it's not just for show.

The light is very white, no blue tinges at all.

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone got a close-up photo of the OEM xenon headlamp, or indeed the H6W holder? I'm guessing all you need is to fit a W5W holder, you have to snip one of the wires to fit the resistor anyway so as long as the diameter of the hole is about the same I'm sure you could fit them in the xenon headlamp. The PIAA sidelight is 12mm diameter.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Wow, they're excellent. I never even saw this when it was posted. Why do you keep tempting me with bulbs?? And SOOO expensive!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Nice, but how long are they going to last ?

My experience with LEDS and I spent loads kitting the whole car out is that they simply don't last. Right pain as well if one goes in the sidelight position...

Keep us posted on the life expectancy ?

Might last with those heatsinks, but there again, LEDS don't get hot do they ?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have had a pair of led sidelights fitted since around April - one of them became faulty and while negotiating to get it replaced, so has the other one. Having read the posts and done a search, it sounds like 7 months is a long lifespan for them!

They don't just fail - they repeatedly flash on/off - its a bit worrying that someone could mistake it for indication and pull out on you..

I have now ordered a pair of Philips Blue Vision - I hope they last longer than the last lot of bulbs.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ct.p: these do get fairly hot, hence the heat sink.

I think part of the reason a lot of LEDs don't last long when put into automotive applications is that they are being over-driven to get the brightness. It's a pretty known fact that LEDs last longer than equivalent filament bulbs otherwise, and are more vibration resistant, too. Just what you need in a car. These PIAA Tera LEDs do not appear to be like standard 3mm LEDs clustered, they are proper high intensity units as used in modern traffic signals and the like, stare at them and they'll hurt - and they are single LED bulbs, not clusters. They are not running off the full 12V either, each one has a chunky ceramic resistor on the +ve line. I figured there had to be a reason why they cost a bit more, so I gave them a try. If they don't last, PIAA will know about it. So far had them two months, not long (though I use them when driving in the morning as well).

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Shiuming,

Please keep us updated on the life.

I'm very sceptical about LEDS these days after having some fail on me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts