Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Photo appreciation thread.....

14K views 128 replies 45 participants last post by  RayBanUK 
#1 ·
Did we ever get one of these on the go? (Crappy internet at work and can't search)

If not, I was thinking about having a topic where we post up whatever and people comment? (Can be anything)

Cheers,

Craig.

(Yip, another slow day[:)])

#3 ·
This is what I was hoping for GreenBeast, just wasn't sure if it had been done. Didn't like to start putting up pics of the collection of naked models I have if it had been done the other week?

OK, but rather than going down the members ride section of 'sweet ride, best car i've ever seen' business, I was thinking about more critique? Just to help people take better pics? Just genuine comments basically of what you really think of it.

I'm always meaning to get into a little more, so i am no pro. I don't mind starting with a couple if there is going to be interest in continuing the thread?

#4 ·
#6 ·
I'll kick off with 4 if that's OK?

OK, this is from a year or two back, it's a cable car coming up Sugar Loaf in Rio.

Posted Image

Things I like:

Colour theme in this one

Dramatic?

Was about the time I had first heard of 'rule of thirds' so thought i would try it out (ie car coming up and into pic) - think the cables really to the angles justice?

Things i don't like:

I think this is slightly under exposed.

This is Glencoe in Scotland

Posted Image

Things i like:

Very dramatic

Again, i like how it almost draws the eye in.

Things I don't like:

It's lacking in scale. This could mountain could be the size of a matchbox (which it isn't!)? Think it needs maybe even a road or something?

Dubai desert. Wife took this of me recently.

Posted Image

Things i like:

Simple, shows huge scale.

Things I don't like:

Horizon isn't level.

I would have preferred the horizon a little higher or lower - it's too sort of 50/50 for my liking. It's also a shame there are some tyre tracks on the sand? Distracting.

I'll throw this one in as i'm interested in it and can't make up my mind whether i like or not.

Loch Ness, Scotland.

Posted Image

The reason i'm interested in this one is because i think it's almost too postcard like which IMO is a bit of a failing in the picture?

Nice colours etc, just feel it looks to much like an old oil painting if you can see this?

Anyone else got comments good/bad.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Tabs, that's a nice nice little pic showing some good depth of field etc. I like the idea of the wheel in the background - kinda important for the pick that you can tell it's a VW? Good that this is blurred, but you still know what it is.

I like these little pics and should do more. Doesn't matter what it is really does it? I need to work on depth of field - you've given me ideas.[:D]

#8 ·
Tabs, i'm on about dof etc then just notice you mentioned blur etc - doh! Were you meaning the blur for the wheel?

I personally don't use any software, just don't like to but that's me. Almost feel like i'm cheating (too strong a word) although i know pro's using film and slide can enhance etc. a whole different debate[;)]

All of mine are taken on a 2MP Canon A60. Maybe post the camera/lens/even exposure etc you use if you are posting.

#11 ·
It wasn't JD, Mr smart alec. It was Voddie - white liquid only to prevent dehydration. Do you not know anything about hot places and drinking- LOL[:p] Come on then David Bailey, where's your then. (People who just visit posts to mock - got now time for it myself[^o)][:)])

That's a nice little pic Deadlock. Quite creative.

#12 ·
Craig I really like the cablecar shot, a great perspective and I like the Loch Ness photo but the shadow in the bottom right corner keeps drawing you're eye to it.

This is a shot I like, I grabbed it on my digital camera at 4:30am, hungover in a hotel near bath one summer morning. I love the ariel perspective and to me it could even be the rain forests somewhere:

Posted Image

#13 ·
It wasn't JD, Mr smart alec. It was Voddie - white liquid only to prevent dehydration. Do you not know anything about hot places and drinking- LOL[:p] Come on then David Bailey, where's your then. (People who just visit posts to mock - got now time for it myself[^o)][:)])
I've only got a rubbish camera but I'll get the missus to get her box brownie out tonight ....[:$]

#14 ·
I don't think that swigging JD in the middle of the desert is a very clever idea ![;)]
The reason the horizon is squint as well is the missus was standing bursting for a p*ss. I'm giving it the 'stop jumping about and take the picture - it's f*ing hot here!'. She's straight back 'There's no f*ing bushes to use!'. Click. Hence sloping world. Got to love them though, always need in the middle of nowhere - literally.

#15 ·
I've only got a rubbish camera but I'll get the missus to get her box brownie out tonight ....[:$]
Ohhhhhhh - that's it. Out. LOL. Always one - PMSL. I'm gonna have to use that joke sometime!

Chris, superb shot! I thought it was a rainforest (actually Blue Mountains in Oz). Very good.

Thanks for the comments, never notice the shadow problem before - you've put me right off it now[:p]. Anyone want to buy a Loch Ness print - LOL.

Keep 'em coming.

#18 ·
Tabs, i'm on about dof etc then just notice you mentioned blur etc - doh! Were you meaning the blur for the wheel?

I personally don't use any software, just don't like to but that's me. Almost feel like i'm cheating (too strong a word) although i know pro's using film and slide can enhance etc. a whole different debate[;)]

All of mine are taken on a 2MP Canon A60. Maybe post the camera/lens/even exposure etc you use if you are posting.
Sorry should have expanded on the above!

It was shot with close macro mode which blurred the distant object. Don't worry no cheating with my camera [:p]

The Gaussian blur layer was added to the whole image afterwards and then soft light used on the same layer. This is what brings the colours but also gives the soft appearance.

My camera is a Canon Powershot S50.

The images were taken with a tripod for stability.

I'm planning on getting down the waterfront on the Mersey as there are some great shots at night of the wirral bank and Liverpool bay. I'll be using a long exposure on those images to get the most details. Will post these up when they've been done.

#20 ·
It was shot with close macro mode which blurred the distant object. Don't worry no cheating with my camera [:p]

The Gaussian blur layer was added to the whole image afterwards and then soft light used on the same layer. This is what brings the colours but also gives the soft appearance.

My camera is a Canon Powershot S50.

The images were taken with a tripod for stability.

I'm planning on getting down the waterfront on the Mersey as there are some great shots at night of the wirral bank and Liverpool bay. I'll be using a long exposure on those images to get the most details. Will post these up when they've been done.
I need a tripod as well! Even one of those portable, little fold away jobs. Need a a better camera first though. It's OK and quite good for a 2mp - i mention DSLR to wife and she suddenly goes deaf. I heard good things about that S50 though - hmmmm.

Nice little pic, Bora. Car looks brand new!

#23 ·
I'll kick off with 4 if that's OK?

This is Glencoe in Scotland

Posted Image

Things i like:

Very dramatic

Again, i like how it almost draws the eye in.

Things I don't like:

It's lacking in scale. This could mountain could be the size of a matchbox (which it isn't!)? Think it needs maybe even a road or something?
There is a road there but its not too clear? I think the colours aren't picked up too well, and that adjusts the eye a little so you don't get an idea for the scale. The mountains especially would look darker.

This could benefit from a session in photoshop - a few tweaks with the colour and it would bring the depth out no problem.

If its ok with you can I have a play with the image? [:$]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.