Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Philips X-Treme Power

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  pope1 
#1 ·
Anyone tried these bulbs yet?  They are claiming an additional 80% light output over standard bulbs but supply seems to be very limited right now.

#3 ·
I recently got some Powerbulbs Powerplus bulbs both dipped and main beam. They're very good compared to standard bulbs and better than the vision plus bulbs I had before. If you get them from www.powerbulbs.co.uk they're buy 1 get one free at the moment.

#5 ·
I got some last week from a user on here, Chris. Compared the bulbs I
had in the Bora (uprated IIRC) they're a world apart. Just need to fit
another set to Tracy's Mk4 so we can see the difference.

If you can get your hands on a set then do it [Y]

#6 ·
Thanks guys. A lot has happened since I posted that in January LOL. Don't think many people knew of them at that stage.

Mark, since then I've also got a set from the Steve as i could not wait for Powerbulbs any longer. Excellent service from Steve and a worthwhile upgrade but if you've got Vision Plus already don't expect a huge increase in brightness. Don't get me wrong, they do make a difference and on unlit roads I'm sure it is significant. However on well-lit city streets the difference is not as pronounced.

#8 ·
How they laughed when I called to say I was cancelling my order because it had been over a month and I was going to get mine elsewhere. They said that they are the main distributors for the UK and would be the first to get them. However they did refund my money as quickly as they grabbed in it in the first place i.e the same day so fair play on that account. Don't think they should actually have charged until they were ready to ship product but let's not go there, their service has been very good in the past.

I suspect that our colleague on the forum sourced his in Europe but who knows? All I can say is that he acknowledged receipt of my cheque, gave me an estimated shipping date and then confirmed when he was shipping them. It all took about a week in total which I thought was excellent.

#9 ·
I emailed power bulbs today, i ordered on 4th jan.

They said they had been sent to me last week, didnt show despatched on there site, and ive still not got them, they also said they have no tracking number etc.

They have told me to wait till weds, and see if they turn up.

#14 ·
They are road legal, couldn't imagine Philips doing otherwise.
Does that mean they are or they arent, you dont seem too sure mate. Maybe you couldnt imagine philips making them if they werent legal - but that doesnt tell me if they are or not. Just wanna know if they are worth buying a set. I have the Ring 50% xenon bulbs as far as i can remember. Will they be better than them?

#18 ·
GT 130, sorry for the mixed message. As others have said, yes they are road legal.

I cannot comment specifically on the Ring bulbs as I haven't tried them. They are definitely brighter than the 50% Philips Vision Plus though.

Rob - I got mine from steve_h but I imagine his supply has all gone now.

#22 ·
GT 130, sorry for the mixed message. As others have said, yes they are road legal.

I cannot comment specifically on the Ring bulbs as I haven't tried them. They are definitely brighter than the 50% Philips Vision Plus though.

Rob - I got mine from steve_h but I imagine his supply has all gone now.
Not atall mate, not at all - was just wanting to be sure before ichoose to get some. Must abmit have been aware of these bulbs for a while and considered getting some before even seeing this thread. So they transform the OEM headlights to something not far off HID brightness?

#23 ·
Errr no!  They're definitely not HID bright and they still look yellowish compared with HID. To me, HID's stand out whatever the road conditions.  With the Xtreme bulbs I can see a difference when I look at the headlights and it's noticeable from behind the wheel most, but not all of the time. I don't see much of a difference on the road surface itself when travelling on well-lit urban roads but I do notice the improved brightness on road signs, on the backs of cars and anywhere that you don't have the brightest of city lights.  I'm trying to give as precise a description of them as I can but I'm not sure that I'm succeeding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.