Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after some feedback on the phatbox,just thinkin of gettin one so just wanted to know if they are any good or not...

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you get it from the US, well worth it! (?120 ish), from the UK no way (?600)!

It is good, though I have to say the software seems a bit naff, keeps losing tracks when I add them, [:mad:].

Now need to upgrade the speakers

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just what i wanted to hear..Waitin for it to arrive from the u.s..Dont know if i need to buy any other leads or not...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sort of remember somewhere on there web site saying there US boxes, but modifed to be the same as the UK box ....... not quite sure, and can't find the reference, but for a couple of hundred quid saving I'd by one in prefrence to a VAG unit.

Anyone purchased a box from here or e-bay? They seem to primarily advertise on e-bay, as my only worry would it not be turning up. Saying that, pay with a credit card and your covered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought mine from the states via ebay, cost ?159 including postage. Brand new unit in the original box all still sealed up. I had to get a uk power adaptor, Maplins ?9.99. All fitted and working perfectly.[:D]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine was off e-bay too, arrived pretty quickly after the cash had gone through, had it in about 2-3months, and loving it!

Finally discovered an easier way to scroll through the artists names! Before it went through every one, but you press and hold the FFWD it goes throught he letters of the alphabet instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
why not just buy an ipod and the griffin itrip which broadcasts the signal to the oem radio - also its completely wireless - its the business !!

ALAN

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm also interested in one of these but don't know alot about them. So here come the questions.

1. Do i need a specific head unit to run it?
  2. Do they fit straight into the bracket where my 6 cd change is in the boot?
  3. Are they worth the money over an ipod?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
254 Posts
Zeke

Answers to you questions

1. you need either a VW Gamma or kenwood head unitwith cd changer controls to run it (kenwood one
needs a new lead from headunit to boot about ?50) <---- this is what
i have done to mine

2. they will fit in the cd changer gap but you will need to cut the door covering the cdchanger to get it to fit

3.?159 for a phatnoise or ?200+ for a ipod.... Hmmm let me think about it ............. Phatnoise every time !!!!!!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Cheers for that. Just one more though.

1. Would the VW sat nav be compatible? As i don't have a Gamma headunit i may look at sat nav instead.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Cheers for that. Just one more though.

1. Would the VW sat nav be compatible? As i don't have a Gamma headunit i may look at sat nav instead.
zeke, i had a sat nav version d on my old mk4 with the phatbox.

No probs at all matey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts