Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Phatbox/Phatnoise questions here please

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
28K views 270 replies 32 participants last post by  R44MS_K 
#1 ·
Guys,

Decided to open this topic seeing as we all have various questions regarding usage and installation issues since the recent GB on Phatbox/Phatnoise from Foxy.

Let's leave his GB alone and start afresh here. [^]

#3 ·
Mines now working after reading in between the lines so to speak for the installation of the software on the PC and then how to transfer mp3's

I now have 60 albumns ready for the mornings drive to work [:)]

Plus the Phatbox is sitting loosely in the boot ready for me to get hold of the brackets from VW to replace the boot cd changer. I'll post price etc.... as soon as I find out [;)]

#5 ·
Couple of questions following actual placing of the order with mikan motors:

- how long until you receive your tracking number / confirmation of order?

- how long from order to receipt of goods?

- did you have to pay any import duty?

Where's mine[:I]......so impatient[;)]

#7 ·
Quote: posted by GeordieLife on 07/02/2005 22:10:06

Ah, did you have to do owt with the DMS? Like plug into Phatbox first?

Cos i'm not getting a green light

You dont get a green light until all files are getting transfered. Setup the software as it says and then reboot pc. Power up cradle, and insert USB 2 into pc slot. Then put in the DMS into cradle and Windows should see it and go from there. open Phatbox Music manager and follow the user guide.

I'll try and help as best I can as I still learning here too [:D]

#8 ·
Quote: posted by Doc on 07/02/2005 22:10:47

1) Ordered on wednesday 2nd Feb, received tracking number on Friday 4th

2) 5 days

3) NO [:D][;)]

#9 ·
Quote: posted by Sem on 07/02/2005 22:21:44

Quote: posted by Doc on 07/02/2005 22:10:47

1) Ordered on wednesday 2nd Feb, received tracking number on Friday 4th

2) 5 days

3) NO [:D][;)]

1) Ordered 27th Jan, rx'd tracking number on 2nd Feb

2) About 11 days but I think I was quick off the mark ordering and he hadn't got his dispatch system sorted!

3) Yes! Approx 50 quid it cost me.

Lots more stuff on ordering and tracking numbers in the group buy thread here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50694&whichpage=5

#13 ·
I have had a reply from Gary at Mikan

He says there are four units left to ship - these will go out v.soon.

The main lead from the HU to the trunk is pre-installed on US cars and the lead is not available as a separate part (according to him, except for the New Beetle).

So sorry - there was a misunderstanding on his part and we just need to get them in the UK.

The leads can be gotten from that company doing the bora lead kit and bracket for ?20.

See the main GB thread......i'm off to buy one now!

#15 ·
Well, mine has been installed without any problems whatso ever [:)]

If anyone already has a boot mounted cd changer then its a simple task of taking this out and replacing it with the Phatbox. The brackets can either come from your boot changer or from a VW Dealer at a whooping price of ?1.37 each!! Part number is J0035234A which is also in one of the supplied books.

My PB is now nice and secure even though the flap wont shut as we all expected. With this in mind, I am now waiting to see what way I go with it. Do I cut a nice big hole in it so the whole PB can be visable or do I get another connecting cable and remove the outer casing part that connects into the PB? If I go for the latter then maybe the whole PB will sit further back thus only needing to cut an opening for the DMS. We shall see...... [;)]

Hope all of you whos ordered/got theirs is having as much fun as I am. So much music to choose from is so nice.

#16 ·
Geordielife - I've tried installing mine, and it just comes up and says unknown USB device attached (WinXP SP2), so at least i know the cradle is okay. I'm going to leave it until I've installed the PB and put the DMS into it before trying anything too major, as it probably just needs initialising first - I hope!

#18 ·
guys - you dont have to put the DMS into the PB honestly. I never.

As long as the software has been installed first, and then the power connected to the cradle followed by the USB adn then the DMS. WinXP should notice a removalbe drive on your PC. From there you should be able to start transfering files to the DMS via PMM software. It took me a few attempts to get it right but I have now and if I can help i will [:)]

#19 ·
Mark, i'm confused.....

I have bought the Bora bracket and changer lead kit from VWSpeed. Are you saying I dont need to fit the Bora bracket and that the Phatbox will fit into the first aid kit space using only the brackets supplied with the Phatbox?

Any pics of your install mate?

#21 ·
With old cd boot changer

Posted Image

With new Phatbox

Posted Image

I used the mounting cage from the cd changer and got 2 new brackets from the VW dealer to fit onto the PB. As you can see hte door wont shut but as least its secured in place at the moment. Would like a flush fit if possible or just the DMS showing [;)]

Burnside - I am using WinXp Home edition. You dont get any green lights until mp3's are transfering from pc to PB.

#23 ·
Those brackets are for installing against a side wall, vertically. It could mount on the underside of the parcel shelf or even on the rear seats. But in all these cases it will be on show and get knocked.

At least up here away from everything it should be safe. Still hunting the websites for a way to install it better then cutting a large hole in the flap. Any ideas or links grateful [:)]

#24 ·
Righto, on the Phatnoise site is a bootable Linux iso that you can download to reformat the DMS cartridge if necessary. Have downloaded that and it's still not detecting the DMS - so that rules out a problem with my XP installation. Currently digging out an old PC which I can test! Will update when I have more info.

Cheers,

Matt.

Update: Have tried a different PC and still no joy [:(!] So it's either the DMS, cradle or possibly the PSU i'm using? When I connect it i can hear the drive spin up, but in windows explorer you're supposed to see 2 new partitions appear. I don't! Anybody have any ideas?

2nd Update: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO, swapped out the power adapter I was using and it instantly sprang to life and is now recognised. A very happy bunny indeed - hope this helps somebody!

#26 ·
Yeah it was a strange one, didn't help that the power light was coming on! Ah well all sorted now [^]

Mines going into a Bora Mark so my install should be fairly easy from what i've seen [^] Hope you find a way your happy with - the one that was linked earlier involving cutting the slot in the side looks quite smart but is fairly damaging!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.