Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a little blast with a 205 gti 1.9 today (I was in my Golf ).I was suprised how quick the car was, our cars seemed to be pretty evenly matched. Mine has been revo'd, pipercross panel filter, milltek exhaust, 18" RS4 alloys, approx 200bhp.I was expecting to be a lot quicker than him(or am I underestimating the 205?). Does anyone know the 0-60 times etc for the peugeot??
Matt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi,

i think they are 7sec 0.60.they are 137bhp std. and only weight of 950kg witch would make it 144bhp per the ton.and yours is 200bhp and weight of 1264kg witch makes yours 158bhp per the ton. at a ges! not bad cars.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Underestimating massively..... The icon - zero weight, a chassis that
would when new give an R32 a run for its money on a track..... if it
was standard 1,9 it would be level... however if it was tuned it would
laugh at ytou.....

However if it had what I had (a 170bhp MI16 engine) which I did myself,
it would laugh at you totally mine used to give 911's a run for there
money, as it had near enough 180bhp per ton.... oh and it would spin
wheels in 3rd gear in the dry

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm not surprised with your encounter with the Pug. Seriously rapid and totally glued round bends a real back-to-basics car that feels alive!

·
Registered
327 Posts
My mate had a 205 with an MI16 conversion running about 185 - 200 bhp built by Coventry Peugeot (that car was quick it sadly died in a ditch). They had some nice 205's there one was a turbo conversion running about 250bhp an it was bright pink.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the replies, I don't feel so bad now. It must have been pretty standard(it did have a different exhaust and was lowered), and he was booting it, I could hear his rev limiter cutting in, and I had to lift off slightly to avoid running into the back of him.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My 2nd and 3rd cars where both 1.9 205gti's and they were cracking. I
had the 2nd one running koni yellows with a 30mm drop plus a well
worked mi16 conversion putting out around 180bhp and it was a cracker.
T'was easily a match for my upsolute'd golf on the straights and in the
twisties you could forget it. The only problem was it's savage lift off
oversteer!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
yeah pug 205 gti one of the best hot hatches of all time even in standard form so dont feel bad about your golf mate you were dealing with a past master

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're lucky it wasn't mi'd.

Seriously quick with an mi. An mi on tb's and some big cams and an aftermarket ecu and they are even quicker.
I'm trying to find a nice 205 at the moment to actually make driving fun. The german lard arse doesn't cut it.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Had a few 205 GTI's and I still maintain it's the best car I've ever owned bar none for driver enjoyment. The 1.9 is way quicker than people give it credit for. Wouldn't have anything LAD have been anywhere near, their reputation is terrible with the cognoscenti.

Always wanted one of these but the only one I ever found was ?15K

Posted Image

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ah theold days! I had a graphite 1.9 with a magnex straight through exhaust, my car was the prototype for the fit of the exhaust. Very noisy, so back it went, and came back with a much better and quieter one. THE best handling car I have ever had, pity about the build quality.

Top hot hatch, i sold mine and bought a 306 S16, which was sold to make way for a Mk2 16V and a Kawasaki ZX7R.

sitting here with a tear in my eye!![:'(]

·
Registered
641 Posts
AH the little 205 gti 1.9. Every drive put a smile on ya face. The definite daddy of hot hatches. If i could find a tidy one now I think I'd buy one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 1.9 was a claimed 130 bhp (about 97 at the wheels) and actually weighed about 1100 kg. I've had 2, the first of which had Skip Brown suspension and engine rebuild, followed later in its life by an outrageous Nitrous Oxide system that really was dial-a-power. With one up and a near empty tank of fuel a standard car well driven will give most cars a serious run for their money. Here is my first one pictured in 1987. Happy memories....

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
As above. Never owned one but driven a couple and was impressed, and know a few people that own/have owned and rave about them, so much so that I am trying to save up and get either a decent 1.9 205GTi or a CRX as a weekend car as a limited mileage insurance policy is now very cheap for me. A weekend toy that I dont have to worry too much about bending or breaking as I know that I can jump back into my everyday car, plus a great toy for those of us who dont have the means to keep an Elise/Caterham etc in the garage.

Decent ones are hard to find now, as there are many dogs about these days, hence decent one command top money, and dogs will just be a bottomless pit of hands on action, money and new parts.

OK, build quality and reliability is debateable, but as a cheap fun classic, it ticks all the right boxes, for me anyway!

·
Registered
45 Posts
bazking69,

I don't know much about the market now, but I do know (having owned 2 from new) that the quality of the early ones was much better than the later ones. I would go for the original 1.9, the one with the slider heater controls, not the rotary. As a new car, the later one was a reliability nightmare.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I wasnt aware of that so cheers for the knowledge.

If I did get one I was looking at about a 1990 G one, pre cat and all that...

Still think I'd rather have another CRX over a GTi tho.

·
Registered
116 Posts
205 was a great car, but have to say I absolutely loved my clio 1.8 16v, sounded awesome with induction, and had the three gages on the dash. Seats were great to, and it went like it was on rails!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My mate had one for rallying a few years back and that thing was mental fast, totally stripped, light weight pannels and a 'lightly modded' motor. I used to drive it about the country lanes and it would just make me laugh with excitement at how fast/responsive it was. A well, he has a fully blown sti prepaired impreza now and that scares me (yea right )[:p]

neil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts